German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got Blitz I was so obsessed with him being a small GSD, I've always wanted this big dog that was almost intimidating(silly I know), but now he's almost 1 year old I've come to accept it and actually enjoy his size. He's almost 12 months and about 70ish pounds(male). This is my first german shepherd so i guess getting him helped with my learning curve.

Anyone else have a similar sized GSD?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
My girl Charlie is about 23 inches tall and weighs right around 62 lbs. My other shepherds Daisy and Lucky were both oversized. Charlie size will benefit her in the long run as long as We watch her weight. She is easier to fit in the car and her size make her .

·
Registered
518 Posts
These are my two. Mac (the black and tan) is a 9 year old female. She weighs about 60lbs and is smallish and I like her that way. She's my marathon training partner and her size makes her perfect for it. Wolf, the pup, was 14 weeks in this photo. He is now 17 weeks and is as tall, if not taller, than Mac. He's going to be a big boy, maybe even oversized. Not sure yet how I feel about that as I would like him to also come running with me. We'll see.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These are my two. Mac (the black and tan) is a 9 year old female. She weighs about 60lbs and is smallish and I like her that way. She's my marathon training partner and her size makes her perfect for it. Wolf, the pup, was 14 weeks in this photo. He is now 17 weeks and is as tall, if not taller, than Mac. He's going to be a big boy, maybe even oversized. Not sure yet how I feel about that as I would like him to also come running with me. We'll see.
Wolf is adorable.

The more I've read about german shepherds the more i've come to realize that mine is ideal sized. I always thought of GSD's as these tough guard dogs so obviously first thing that came to mind was weight. More weight...tougher dog. However now i understand that most of the time a larger sized dog tends to be on the slower end where as a slimmer GSD will be more active.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Our first GSD, Arrow, is 8 months old and 54 lbs. She has really slowed down on her growth, and we think she will finish at about 60 lbs. Which is good with one small child in the house. But you wouldn't believe how many comments about her size we get when we are out with her. "Oh, is she full blood? She is so small." "Wow, she is really little for a German Shepherd!"

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I wouldn't call any of these dogs small, although I know what you mean by it.. All are beautiful and good looking! Very nice

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
This is LB. She is 21.7" and 54# at almost 4. I like my tough little girl and her size doesn't stop her. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm a bit confused that we have a 1 year old at 70 lbs and 8 month old at 54 lbs and they're considered small. Both have a good bit of growing left to do. Our last girl was 104 lbs, but only 68-70 at a year. Even at 2 I don't think she was over 80. GSDs dont stop growing until about 2.5.

·
Registered
774 Posts
My girls is 3 years old and was 47# when she was weighed last. It's hard to keep any weight on her but at a healthy weight she should be in the 50's. Very bottom of the standard but it doesn't make her any less of a GSD. Your pup sounds good sized! I hope you enjoy him!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Wolf is adorable.

The more I've read about german shepherds the more i've come to realize that mine is ideal sized. I always thought of GSD's as these tough guard dogs so obviously first thing that came to mind was weight. More weight...tougher dog. However now i understand that most of the time a larger sized dog tends to be on the slower end where as a slimmer GSD will be more active.
Thanks! He's a little terror, but is too adorable to ever get cross with. lol!

I think a lot of people think that GSDs are supposed to be these massive dogs, but in reality the standard calls for females 50-70ish and males 60-90ish. Anything more and you start to get an oversized dog. They're meant to be endurance animals, which means lean is better.

Attachments

Reactions: bkernan

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
there is nothing small about a 25 inch female GSD .

standard height is 22 to 24 inches for a female so your's is actually oversize !

she is a young dog yet , so her weight is reasonable - within standard

she is a very leggy dog -- has she been spayed ?

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
if you want the young guy as your running mate then pay attention to his soft pasterns .

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
I'm a bit confused that we have a 1 year old at 70 lbs and 8 month old at 54 lbs and they're considered small. Both have a good bit of growing left to do. Our last girl was 104 lbs, but only 68-70 at a year. Even at 2 I don't think she was over 80. GSDs dont stop growing until about 2.5.
don't turn your Samson in to a Goliath .
keep the ideal weight range for health and longevity

·
Registered
518 Posts
if you want the young guy as your running mate then pay attention to his soft pasterns .
Yep! Once he gets a little older we're going to work on strengthening them. He's got a nice gait and I'm not overly concerned because right now because he's still growing into his paws, but it's definitely something I'm paying attention to.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
the time to address a soft pastern is NOW -- the sooner the better before the cartilage gets too stretched

you do this by cartilage and ligament strengthening food ingredients -- dietary

·
Registered
518 Posts
the time to address a soft pastern is NOW -- the sooner the better before the cartilage gets too stretched

you do this by cartilage and ligament strengthening food ingredients -- dietary
What ingredients do you recommend? He is on Fromm puppy and I also supplement with raw. He gets a raw egg every day and also gets ground turkey, beef liver, bison heart, chicken gizzards and breasts, pork loin, rabbit and various other cuts.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Whats the GSD breed standard?

Male: 24-26in withers 66-88lbs
Female: 22-24in withers 49-71lbs

Your dog isn't small it's proper size for the breed!

Reactions: carmspack

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
looks like you are doing a great job providing good clean protein

diet needs more though.

specifically for cartilage , tendons, ligaments --- REAL Vitamin C is key keeping collagen and connective tissues firm yet flexible . emphasis on the real -- because Vitamin C is not an isolate and needs co-factors such as rutin, quercetin, bioflavins . This was a known fact when Szent-Gyorgi was able to isolate and synthesis ascorbic acid.

Pure white so much easier to market than a dirty linen brown when the vital amines were whole food sourced .

C is the big one .

1 - 20 of 59 Posts