German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today at the dog park, everyone was talking about how a couple days ago a small dog was killed by a Siberian Husky at the same park.

Apparently an owner of a 5lb dog went into the large dog section. The small dog provoked a Husky and the Husky retaliated. Not sure what exactly happened, but the small dog ended up dying. After I heard this story I was dumbfounded. I couldnt believe out of all the dogs in the park (GSD, Rotties, Dobermans, Pits, Mastiffs..) a Husky killed a dog.

I noticed several letters posted on the bulletin board of the park entrance by the small dog's owner warning about DANGEROUS HUSKIES. There were also post-it notes to the bulletin board from other small dog owners saying how their dogs were also injured in the large dog section. They also added their opinion that it was their right to be in both parks if they want to. The dog park has two segregated areas, one section for small dogs and one section for large dogs (at least 25lbs+). I in no way condone aggressive behavior for any dog, but it seems to be the problem is people not obeying park rules. This seems to be common at several dog parks I've been to. The owners of the small dogs insist on bringing their 5lb dogs to play with the big boys. I once tried deterring a maltese owner from entering the Large Dog area, but the owner insisted that her dog can play with all sorts of dogs. I told her that not all large dogs are fond of small dogs. She just ignored my warning and came on in. After a few minutes her dog was trampled and she was blaming the large dog owners!

Whats everyone's input on this on this matter? I'm sad that the small dog died, but this issue is a bit irritating since I believe it could have been prevented.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
The owner of the chihuahua is at fault. They should know better. The rules are in place for a reason. It's sad, but not surprising.

Small dogs owners complaining about their dogs getting hurt by larger dogs in the large section is like going to a horror movie and complaining about being scared. What do they expect?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
first of all I dont do dog parks, second, the people with the small dogs, that ignore the rules and take their small dogs in with the big dogs are stupid, and just asking for trouble, i`m sorry the little one lost its life, its the owners fault, pure and simple, that small pup challenged the husky and lost, thats mother nature at work pure and simple, now the owner of the husky is going to be sued and the Husky labeled a "killer"

·
Registered
457 Posts
Something similar happend at a dog park i attended with my sheltie years ago when i lived in Arizona. It was a nice park, they also had a section for small dogs and big dogs.

A rottie killed a chihuaua. Fortunately for the rottie owner there was witness and everyone was on this guy's side when it was taken to court.

Basically what happend was the chi and the owner decided to come into the big dog section, the chihuahua was obnoxious little thing, bouncing up and down at the rottie snapping at it's face. The Rottie grabbed the chi by the scruff and all it took was one shake for it to be killed. Of course the chi owner freaked and started saying she was going to have her dog destroyed when they go to court. Everyone that saw this stood by the rottie's owner side saying the chi owner was the blame. If it wasn't for these brave dog owners who witnessed this the man would have lost his Rottie.

I do think small dog people need to do their part and stay in the small dog parks. Unfortunately there are stupid people out there that just don't think safety first.

I know i am cautious when a small dog approaches Josie, small dog owners need to do the same!. I don't even let my sheltie play with a great dane!!.Not because i think the dane is going to kill my sheltie, it has to do with the size and i worry about him breaking a bone. Think people!!

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
That is very sad but is in no way surprising.

I have activities that I didn't let my children engage in. I also have such activities that I don't let my dogs do. Dog parks tops the list.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Dog parks are like the wild wild west. There are a lot better and safer ways to exercise and socialize your dogs than to drop them in with a bunch of strange dogs and let the dogs work things out themselves ...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Dog parks are like the wild wild west. There are a lot better and safer ways to exercise and socialize your dogs than to drop them in with a bunch of strange dogs and let the dogs work things out themselves ...

Right on!!!!.....agreed it's sad the dog died, but the only one to blame is the little dog's owner.....I don't agree with dog parks and this is just one reason why.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
A lot of the dog parks in my city don't even have a small dog area. I've seen tiny little dogs in there playing with the big dogs quite a bit. If I owned a dog that small I'm pretty sure I would not be letting them play with unknown large dogs!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
It's sad that the small dog died but the owners need to respect the rules and follow them. By following the rules and keeping their small dog in the small dog area, this situation could have been avoided.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
This I'd NOT the huskys fault nor is it the huskys owner it is the small dogs owner her dog is dead. The have it seprat for a reason now the woman is trying to shif blame to make it look like she was all inecint and perfact now a little dog is dead and BSL will come in to play because she wanted to go to it to the BIG dog side. And wats real sad is the postits of other small owners taking the side of the small saying they should be alowed in were every they want. PEOPLE CAN BE SO STUPID!!!!!!

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
It is the small dogs owners fault

The poor Husky will either be pts or be labelled "vicious dog"

Husky's have a very high prey drive, cats, little dogs and small animals should not be with Husky's.

·
Super Moderator
6,502 Posts
i too arrived at a dog park [tho many years ago] after a husky had killed a yorkie [this was before this particular park was separated for large/small]. the circumstances were a bit different tho, the husky was not provoked, but rather had his prey drive triggered and began by chasing the small dog. the owner called for him, but he'd already caught the yorkie, did a couple of "victory laps" around the park, then brought the yorkie to its owner, dropped him, tail wagging... the yorkies neck had been broken.

all of our local parks are now separated. MOST of the time, its respected... however, if a small dog starts something in the large dog park "i have the right to take my dog to whatever side i want". however... if a large dog is in the small dog yard - they're ready to report you.

the park closest to me has 3 sections. small / large / and 'timid' [which is recommended for puppies, seniors or 1st timers]. too much of a grey area if you ask me. all 1st timers arent "timid".... a 150lb mastiff can still technically be a "puppy" etc etc...

anywho - before that park was created - i took my 17yr old golden mix into the small dog yard and was yelled at. FOR ONE - the sign says 35lbs/under. under all that hair, my boy was indeed 35lbs. SECOND - there is no way i was going to let my old guy get trampled by rambunceous large dogs in the other section. sure some felt that i shouldnt bring him to a dog park to begin with... but he loved going... and socializing. the highlight of his last days.

i've since stopped going to dog parks regularly. to me, a dog is a dog and sometimes dogs get into fights. unfortunately it always ends up that whoever has the larger dog, or the more "aggressive breed", or the dog that "wins" is at fault. gia was harrassed by a jack russell once at the park and i gave the owner numerous warnings while making my way out of the park.... finally she snapped at him [snap not bite] and the owner had a fit... following me out to my car to get my plates, etc. its crazy!!

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Ditto to what everyone else is saying. I dunno, maybe that Huskie was aggressive and dangerous. But, that dog shouldn't have been in that area. That rule is there for a reason.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Small dog owners fault. Just because you have little ankle biter that gets along with your sister's st bernard doesn't mean your little gremlin will get along with all big dogs.

The dog park my family & I used to go to, had a little dog section, and big dog section. But there were some little dog owners who thought it was ok to let their little maltipoo play with GSDs, Rotties, Dobies, and other big dogs.

Its sad what happened to the little dog. But the owner should have known better. The owner had what was coming. What goes around comes around.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Small dog owners fault, yes, however depending on local laws the Husky could also be 'wrong'. Dogs that attack & seriously injure or kill other dogs are legally considered 'vicious dogs' where I live (Cedar Rapids Iowa). IF owners fail to control their behavior while in public these dogs will be charged & are liable to be ordered pts.

I'd be surprised if this wasn't predatory aggression. Most Husky's have enormous & deadly serious prey drive. Some Husky's consider small dogs, especially the toy breeds, 'prey' & hunt to kill. Some in fact view very young human infants (under 5mos) as 'prey'.

Husky owners should err on the side of safety & assume their Husky will prey on other small animals, possibly even small dogs, unless/until they know what does or doesn't trigger the hunt to kill drive. This isn't Husky bashing. I had 2 & loved 'em. I miss Cochise to this day, but denying/ignoring their predatory nature puts everyone, including Huskys at increased risk.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Small dog shouldn't have been on the big dog side plain and simple. I own a 4 lb "teacup" type dog and if I ever felt the need to bring her over to the big dog side (because my others are large), I would place her in my lap or hold her and not let the other dogs near her unless I knew them.
I'm not in the agreement about Huskies typically having a lot of prey drive though, at least not the ones I've dealt with. I've been around a lot of them down here (people like them in the south for some reason :cool:) and have yet to meet one with anywhere near the prey drive of my GSD or doberman (who both live peacefully with my 4 lb-er. They were bred for pulling so that makes sense to me..........but I can see where that would be the cause of death in this case, I'm just stating my experience. :)

·
Registered
30,935 Posts
There are no dog parks around here so I've never experienced what many describe. I am very saddened that the owners of small dogs do not do a better job of protecting them. The idea of taking a 5 lb dog in with 60 lb dogs is just ludicrous to me.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
They have a small and large dog section at the park we go to also. The small dog owners ALWAYS bring their dog over to the big dog side and I can't help but cringe for just this reason. Big dogs can easily accidentally hurt a small dog, and a lot of them do have prey drive. One girl brought her puggle in and thought it was o so cute how the big dogs chased it and she didn't understand why there was a small dog section. I told her that a lot of dogs do have prey drive, but I guess nothing could be done about it if the small dog owner was willing to assume the risk and responsibility if something went wrong. She looked at me like I was crazy and went on to say o don't worry I always leave when pit bulls come in :rolleyes2::rolleyes2::rolleyes2:

Another thing that makes me cringe is when we went one time and someones 9 week old border collie puppy was there, covered in mud and w/e else might have been on the ground (like idk parvo) and they just thought it was sooo cute. :crazy:

·
Registered
656 Posts
My girl Hope has serious prey drive, she lives for it.

A cat or squirrel wouldn't stand a chance with her, but she does discriminate small dogs as being dogs, not prey.

That said I could see her maybe drifting into prey drive on a tiny running dog.

She backs away from tiny demons biting her face, and just avoids them. She had a little 15-20lb dog snarl lunge and snap at her face this morning in the 3 dog bakery. It is fortunate for the small dog owners that she does not bite back.

I think a lot of little dog owners get used to that reaction from large stable dogs and have some false sense that their dog somehow can hold it's own with large dogs, an ego trip, when reality is their little dog has simply been very lucky not to have crossed paths with a big dog as nasty tempered as their little dog is, or one with a prey drive that extends to little dogs.

Hope has had 3 little 10lb or less dogs run up and lunge and bite her in the face walking my neighborhood. Fortunate little dogs indeed.

Rules.

My smaller GSD Kaya at 50 lbs is too insecure to play on the big dog side, even at 50lbs, she is a target, but would likely love to go play with the little ones, imagine the heat I would take bringing her to the small dog side.. ;)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts