German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a couple weeks ago I had Robyn outside(on leash) talking to my neighbor when a yorkie decided that he was going to eat her. It was bark, growl, lunge and run away then repeat 50 times. Owners couldn't catch him, he ran around and under the car. They were still chasing him when I went in.

Let's fast forward to today...

I come home and find said dog by himself at my house. I called him, he barked and we repeated this down the block. My concern? He is so small he can fit under the gate area and I don't have a good feeling about this. I have 3 locked gates around the property, none of which I can see from the back door. When I got him to his house I asked them if he lived their or was just visiting--sadly he lives there and I foresee an issue. Once they picked him up he stopped barking and kissed my hand. I got his name for future adventures because I'm positive it will happen again. They didn't even know he was missing and it's pretty dangerous with cars and coyotes for the little booger. I told them that I have GSDs and I do t want to see him hurt or worse. I kindly asked them to keep him on their property. They seemed to understand my emphasis on having GSDs. I'm pretty sure that at least a couple of mine would not be happy about him in the yard. I don't even think they would like him if I slowly introduced them to avoid an issue, he is to small and to yappy(but he is cute)

Would I be responsible if he snuck into my yard? This is slightly aggravating becausevi don't want to see him hurt period.

Here is Sneakers

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
The one thing that keeps coming to mind in your situation is all the cases I've seen lately on the judge shows. Dog comes under fence into yard. Resident dog(s) harm it. Judge finds in favor of the small/loose dog owner or splits the cost 50/50 because the homeowner "knew" the fence wasn't "secure".

It's not pretty but I've seen someone that used 2x4s to block off the bottom gap. They put a bracket on each side of the gate and laid the 2x4 in them. Like and old time castle gate barricade except on the ground. When they needed to roll equipment like a lawnmower into the back yard they could pick up the 2x4 but otherwise and animal couldn't push it in from the outside.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
If I were you, I would try to block off the bottom of the gate. Even if your dogs like the little dog, the size disparity could result in serious harm by accident.

There once was a kitten being used for bait in a yard up the street from me. I wasn't sure what was going on until I saw the kitten tumble out under the gate and onto the sidewalk. The gang followed with their Pit and sicced the Pit on the kitten again. That is when I risked all and ran up to save it. When the authorities were contacted they initially did not want to act on it saying they could not as the law prohibited them from doing so when it occurred on private property. It wasn't until I convinced them that the attack continued out onto public property that they decided to act. So check your local laws, you might not be liable for anything that occurs if the dog gets into your yard.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The one thing that keeps coming to mind in your situation is all the cases I've seen lately on the judge shows. Dog comes under fence into yard. Resident dog(s) harm it. Judge finds in favor of the small/loose dog owner or splits the cost 50/50 because the homeowner "knew" the fence wasn't "secure".

It's not pretty but I've seen someone that used 2x4s to block off the bottom gap. They put a bracket on each side of the gate and laid the 2x4 in them. Like and old time castle gate barricade except on the ground. When they needed to roll equipment like a lawnmower into the back yard they could pick up the 2x4 but otherwise and animal couldn't push it in from the outside.
This stinks. It's a vinyl fence that I paid a lot of money for to destroy with brackets and I would have to use the brackets because my guys would think the wood was to play with. Although I don't think he could move the wood on the other side. He is no more then 5-6 pounds. I have concrete things as borders, maybe those can be used. It's going to look awful, my neighbors will be thrilled.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I were you, I would try to block off the bottom of the gate. Even if your dogs like the little dog, the size disparity could result in serious harm by accident.

There once was a kitten being used for bait in a yard up the street from me. I wasn't sure what was going on until I saw the kitten tumble out under the gate and onto the sidewalk. The gang followed with their Pit and sicced the Pit on the kitten again. That is when I risked all and ran up to save it. When the authorities were contacted they initially did not want to act on it saying they could not as the law prohibited them from doing so when it occurred on private property. It wasn't until I convinced them that the attack continued out onto public property that they decided to act. So check your local laws, you might not be liable for anything that occurs if the dog gets into your yard.
I definitely do not want this dog to get hurt in any way. He is so tiny. I don't understand how anyone would let a dog of this size run the streets, that gets me mad. A cat could probably beat him up. I'm hoping that now that I know his name he will come to me if I see him.

·
Super Moderator
5,850 Posts
This stinks. It's a vinyl fence that I paid a lot of money for to destroy with brackets and I would have to use the brackets because my guys would think the wood was to play with. Although I don't think he could move the wood on the other side. He is no more then 5-6 pounds. I have concrete things as borders, maybe those can be used. It's going to look awful, my neighbors will be thrilled.
Whatever you use to block the gap just paint it white to match and it won't be noticeable from the street.Maybe some thick patio blocks would work?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Whatever you use to block the gap just paint it white to match and it won't be noticeable from the street.Maybe some thick patio blocks would work?
I was just signing in to suggest painted cement blocks, or something you can disguise that's too heavy for your guys to move or dismantle.

·
Registered
31,827 Posts
You could by a solar powered electric fence -- about $120. A bag of insulators -- about 12-20$, and a real of wire. On the outside of the fence, every so many feet put up the insulator, thread the wire and connect it to the element. Turn it on. Forget about it.

These are safe for cattle, sheep and dogs. Dogs respect them. The Yorkie will get hit one time, and then it won't matter if the fence is on or not, she will just avoid the wire.

·
Super Moderator
5,850 Posts
I like Selzer's idea!I saw someone using painted cinder blocks as planters for annuals along a fence line.Of course more work for you to keep them watered,but pretty:)

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Deer netting zip tied to the bottom part of the gate with ground stakes to hold it down Would be cheap, easy to install, and be practically invisible. Plus it's fairly easy to get the gate back to functional use. Just pull up the pins. And put them back when done.

It kept my under fence squeezer IN the yard.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Laws are different in different areas. Even if you were not held liable it sounds like the makings of a really bad day. I do think you are liable, though. One time many years ago I found a dead rabbit in my back yard, no apparent injury, possible my dog caused the rabbit to have a heart attack. I called AC to come out thinking it was still alive, they came right away, they said I should ask my neighbors if it was their rabbit, if I found the owner I should offer to compensate because I was liable for it.

Great ideas your getting on that gate.

·
Registered
31,827 Posts
See, I don't understand that. Ok, if a 18 month old kid can wander up to your dog and get eaten, yeah, you are liable. But DOGS ARE PREDATORES!!! A rabbit can be killed by a dog or a coyote or a cat or a fox or a hawk or an owl! Why would a pet owner be liable for a rabbit coming into YOUR yard and dying from fright or flight of mauling???

Why would a small dog owner, whose dog is out and about not be liable when it goes into another dog's yard? I mean, your yard should be secure enough to keep out 2 year old kids, and keep your dog in. But it should not have to be secure enough to keep the neighbor's pet hamster out. Where do you draw the line??? People have pet rats, pet snakes, pet birds, pet spiders -- ew! And your dog kills their tarantula and you should buy them a new one??? Maybe, after they pay for my heart attack!!!

Please, someone, turn the lights on this dream has gotten really bad all the sudden!

ETA: I suggested the electric fence wire because, yes, it would be a bad day if the neighbor's little dog got mauled in your yard. But NOT because I think you would be liable in any way.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Put a sign up that reads 'woof woof,' right under your 'dogs on premise' sign. That way, any wandering dogs can read the warning, too, and you shouldn't be held liable.

If you add a picture of the fence from inside your and one from outside, we could see exactly what you're dealing with to suggest more actuate 'fixes.' Some suggestions make the yorkie-sized hole seem much bigger than I would think it is.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Where do you draw the line??? People have pet rats, pet snakes, pet birds, pet spiders -- ew! And your dog kills their tarantula and you should buy them a new one??? Maybe, after they pay for my heart attack!!!
T/j - sorry :p

I have had the same pet chilean rose hair tarantula for 19 years now. The old gal is too stubborn to die.

She once escaped her cage. I found her. 3 YEARS later. AFTER I had moved into a different house. She must have been inside some piece of furniture or something.

Let me tell you. Finding her under my laundry that day practically did give me a heart attack!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Lombardo, you received plenty of good suggestions for how to prevent the little dog from getting in your yard, so the only thing I am going to say is "don't hesitate." You remember that Newlie came close to killing the little dog next store, they were each in their own yard, but the fight took place underneath the fence.

·
Registered
658 Posts
That's just what I don't get. Why should I blow more money out of my pocket to further blockade my fence when it's their dog that's causing the problem on MY property? Sorry to be so upfront but if it were me, that dog's got whatever's coming to it and shame on it's owners for not even attempting to correct this issue. if this is happening frequently, you'd think they'd take preventative measures, which I hope they do.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is not a huge opening at all, but this dog is so small--he is about the same size as a rabbit. The gate is about 4-5 ft wide and there is a few inches opening because it's kinda on a angle because of the ground. I wonder if the fence people can lower the gate part? I will look at that when it's light out tomorrow. He wouldn't come in because of the dogs, but he might try it in his wanderings. He seems to be exploring everywhere. His first reaction is to bark and run then bark. He stopped this once we got to his house, then he stood still and quiet about two feet from me.

The rest of my yard has stone around the bottom so no creatures can dig there way in--I had a skunk that tried real hard but stopped once I added the stone.

These are the same people that had a beautiful lab that was always running away. I think they got rid of him(they had to pay fines all the time for him when AC got him). Last summer the police came to my house because that dog was registered to my address(they used to live in my house) because they found the lab in bad shape from the heat and rushed him to the vet. The city covered the bill and wanted the owners to pay them back. I think they got rid of him and got this one. Not good owners. I suppose I could call AC when the dog is out and about--it might be the only thing that can protect him. I'm not fond of that idea but it might save this poor pups life. I'm not the only one with bigger dogs in the area and there are coyotes everywhere.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm thinking if I measure it I can get a piece of wood--paint it white and cut it to size and put it in that gap. It would be under the gate and not on one side or the other. I think that could work and it would be easy enough for me to move when needed. The gate in question is the wider then the other one along the street because of the riding mower, it is the gate most used.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts