German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slight head tilt with crooked ear?

13K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Faizan Ahmed 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey All,

I have a 4 month old pb gsd from a very reputable breeder and personal friend.

Since he's been 8 weeks, his left ear sort of sits on the side of his head, flopping a bit crooked. There has been improvement since then, and when alert, it will stand up straight.

My concern is that along with the ear that hangs off to the side, he also tilts his head to that side slightly. Do we think this is due to the hanging ear? Or could there be a health concern? There's been no disease in his family and he was checked by the vet for infection/mites/etc. He has no balance issues.

Been very worried about this.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
How old is he now? It is totally normal for their ears to pop up and back down while they are growing. My puppy would have one ear down, then it would pop, and the other would go down, etc. When he grew up (he is 15 months now) both ears stood up strong.

#6 ·
I noticed it the day I brought him home, but I tend to have a very critical eye with things. The breeder--who's been doing it for 35+ years (I got my first gsd from her about 17 years ago)--didn't seem too phased by it when I gave her a ring, though she did say to double check with the vet for ear infection (vet saw no infection, and said to just wait and see, but she doesn't think it's anything). But once you go searching on the internet, we all know the scary things that pop up....

#5 ·
Our Tessa has always had a quirky right ear, sometimes accompanied by a head tilt. She's active, athletic, and well balanced. It's just been an oddity with her. Younger full sister ears up early, never the slightest indication of a tilt.
About 4 months..

older..but still a pup..

about 11 months..

bad picture, but it shows how she tilts sometimes walking or running.

I know I haven't given you answers, I can just identify.

#8 ·
She just turned 4, whatever her random tilt is, it does not affect her athletic ability. Her ear is either 3/4 down, 1/2 down, or all the way up..Best dog ever, it's why we went back for her sister three years later.

#9 ·
That's so great to hear. Cosmetically, it doesn't really bother me on Duke. It just seems like if it's not an infection or disease, then what could be doing it? I get worried about brain/vestibular involvement, even though he displays no other symptoms and that seems like a rare scenario. Did your vet ever shed any light on the matter?

#10 ·
Vet was never worried about it, so we haven't. Has never had an ear infection or any symptoms to worry about.
Would have been different if she had shown any problems from it. Hope the same for you little one.

#11 ·
Just an update: There is still the slight head tilt and the ear that sort of shoots off to the side. He otherwise doesn't really have other symptoms. I can't find much else on the net besides talk of inner ear infection, cancer, or trauma (but these would all have other symptoms). Went to the vet and she ruled out ear infection, and is not concerned of the other two, and and she believes it is a random quirk he may have. Anyone else have possible input? The only other thing i notice is that his ears are really big so I don't know if maybe it weighs his head a little as he grows into them.

#16 ·
Hi,

I earlier posted a reply to your original posting. Like the experience you have had we are worried sick and all sorts of thoughts such as brain tumor etc. are going through our mind at this point. We will never love Millie any less if she goes on to live her life to the fullest with her head tilt and leaning ear, which she developed after a week of moving in with us. She is about 11 months old now and we got her when she was about 8.5 weeks old. Just as in your case she randomly developed this tilt and leaning ear. Her ear infection tests came negative. The only way we would know about a possible middle ear infection (or something else) is through an MRI. Did you guys ever get to the bottom of this head tilt and leaning ear? Any inputs from you would be extremely valuable for us.

Thanks again
DC

#15 ·
Hey All,

I have a 4 month old pb gsd from a very reputable breeder and personal friend.

Since he's been 8 weeks, his left ear sort of sits on the side of his head, flopping a bit crooked. There has been improvement since then, and when alert, it will stand up straight.

My concern is that along with the ear that hangs off to the side, he also tilts his head to that side slightly. Do we think this is due to the hanging ear? Or could there be a health concern? There's been no disease in his family and he was checked by the vet for infection/mites/etc. He has no balance issues.

Been very worried about this.

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

I saw your post, which is about 4.5 years old. We have a similar situation with our 2.5-month-old pup. I would be very grateful if you could tell me whether you guys identified the cause and got this properly diagnosed. Any input would help us a great deal. Thanks in advance. DC

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.