German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my dog will slightly shake his head when sniffing about for treats or something to eat, he is very greedy! He also will slightly shake his head when he is taking food from my hand.
He is very thin though he is gaining weight (he is 25KG) and growing taller and my vet has said she has no concerns. However the trainer in my weekly class has said he is too thin and then said he might have a neurological disorder because he shakes his head when taking food from your hand. He is active, eats plenty mostly has good stool but occasionally gets diarrhea especially when he eats liver or gets too many treats or manages to raid the bin before you can stop him!
Now I am worried.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Can you take a video and post it? It's really hard to guess without seeing it.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
I've tried to post a video but it won't upload, any tips on how to do this please.
The easiest way I know of is to upload it to YouTube, making sure access is set to public, then post a link here.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Try googling head tremors in dogs and see if this fits with what you are seeing. Has your vet witnessed the shaking?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
It almost seems like a mini seizure when he gets excited about something. I am not a vet under any circumstances. That's just what it reminded me of. I would see a neurologist because that is not normal and would cause me to be concerned too.

·
Super Moderator
8,474 Posts
Both his weight and tremors are concerning to me.

Reactions: GypsyGhost

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
I hate to say it, but unless these symptoms came on suddenly, and very recently, I'd opt for leaving it be...google dog head shaking...

There are a few things it could be, but as I said, unless this head shaking came on suddenly and recently, virtually every one of the other possibilities will cost dearly just to diagnose, let alone treat.

In the end, after a huge amount of testing, many cases are termed idiopathic - which essentially means from unknown causes.

If this is recent, and sudden, it could be caused by toxins though, and that would be perhaps more reasonably treatable, and also much more important to get vet attention quickly!

I am not a vet, nor have I ever had personal experience with this kind of thing. So, take what I say with that in mind...good luck, sorry you're having to deal with this, he's a cute pup!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the help, he has always been like this from we got him and it has lessened as he has grown, I always just thought it was just something he did. I hadn't been well so hasn't been out too much just before and had a lot of energy when I video'd these and he does tend to do it more when he has a lot of energy! It doesn't seem to annoy him in any way and he eats very well, runs and plays is very energetic and is coming on with most of his obedience training. I'll mention to the vet now I've got a video to show him. My trainer also mentioned he was too thin but the vet said he was gaining weight, growing and she had no concerns at all.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He is 55lbs and just turned 7 months. He is not losing weight but gaining it slower than my other gsd did who was a picky eater with frequent stomach problems. I feed him good quality dry food about 800g per day plus treats plus some meals are substituted with fresh lean chicken, beef, liver with rice or boiled potatoes and scrambled eggs on top 2-3 times per week. He eats plenty of raw veg like broccoli and carrots. He is very, very active and high energy dog. He is quite tall and the vet said he won't fill out till he stops taking growth spurts. She is not concerned about the weight because he is gaining every week, he is active, alert, fun to be with (though tiring!) and healthy. I just get conflicting information from my vet and my trainer and that sends me in a tizz…

I think if he wasn't so hungry all the time I wouldn't be concerned but his appetite is ferocious.
The head tremors rarely happen and only when he hasn't been fed (like training days as the trainer doesn't allow feeding before training) and is genuinely hungry or has not burned off energy and gets excited. I will defo speak with the vet about these.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
800g is about 3.5 cups of food. I'm guessing he needs more food for weight gain if he needs it. Can you tell us specifically what food you are feeding? Very active high energy growing dogs often need more than the recommendation on the bag. Also, pictures of him from above over his body and side would be helpful in a visual of his boy condition. He has a sweet face. I would be concerned with the head tremors too. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
quick update we have been to the vet and we have had blood tests but the vet does not believe there is anything wrong as he does it so rarely and only in certain circumstances such as focussed excitement especially where there is food! and is healthy and happy. HE has put on more weight and is beginning to fill out. The vet did not recommend upping his food much more to avoid over weight she said he is obviously taking growth spurts and when he stops growing up the way he will start filling out more. We are now at 63lbs and not 8 months for anther 2 weeks. The vet reckons he may well reach 100lbs or more when full grown. Given my last dog was not quite 80lb full grown he is going to be some pup!

Again thanks for the help folks.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Good to hear, I agree with Tim where you need to think about the cost and benefits of diagnosing. Even in people, this would be tough to diagnose, so as long as he's active, and gaining weight, and it's not getting worse, I'd go with your vet's advice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts