German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mandalay has been drinking more water since it is warmer out and since I have been home on maternity leave she has spent more time out of her crate and playing outside. She has always been a big drinker and would drink until it was taken away. She was checked for problems related to this and the vet said she was fine and that some dogs just like water. Sometimes when I notice that she is drinking a lot (usually when we are inside for much of the day and she seems to get bored, walking around looking for something to do) her stools are normal at the start and then just a little loose right at the end. She does not act funny or seem to be straining in any way. She does not go out more frequently or go in the house as if she had diarrhea. The vet said that this could come from her drinking too much water and to try and limit it if I see her drinking for what seems to be out of boredom. Since I have the baby sometimes I cannot keep Mandalay outside playing as long as I would like and these are the days I notice this happening.

Does this sound right? Can dogs stool get just a little loose at the end of it from drinking too much water?

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
I have no "scientific proof" other than the same thing happens to Gracie. If she plays in her sprinkler, she has diarrhea later that day.

Keep an eye on how much water she drinks and keep in touch with the vet if you think it's extreme.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I know you are pressed for time, but maybe you can try to keep a log? if you can measure out her water and then just jot down how much she drinks and time/ stool condition, you may be able to determine a trend. Then let us know =)

Note: my 6 month old puppy is loves water like crazy. pools, sprinklers, hoses, water bowls, sinks, SHOWERs (she jumped in once!), you name it... she's obsessed. As such, she drinks ALOT, and i haven't seen her stools go "loose" due to it. But i'm interested to read about other's experiences.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Quote:

Note: my 6 month old puppy is loves water like crazy. pools, sprinklers, hoses, water bowls, sinks, SHOWERs (she jumped in once!), you name it... she's obsessed. As such, she drinks ALOT, and i haven't seen her stools go "loose" due to it. But i'm interested to read about other's experiences.
My two year old GSD does this too. He's water crazy. He'll drink so much that he sometimes (ok, often -- during the summer) wakes me up during the night to have to go outside to pee. But even on the nights he's too tired to go out after playing in the pool, playing hose, or going to the park and playing frisbee (but then coming home and guzzling water by the gallon), and he sleeps through the night, he doesn't have soft stools.

I'm wondering if there is something else going on. A third factor that might be causing the increased thirst and the soft stools?

http://www.upei.ca/cidd/Diseases/endocrine%20diseases/diabetes%20mellitus.htm

Now, if you limit her water, yes, her stools will firm up. Possibly that's because she's becoming dehydrated. Personally, I wouldn't do that.

I would look at running some tests. Urine and a blood panel should be sufficient to start.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I personally have never heard of it and I have a dog that will get diarrhea at the drop of a hat.

However, that's not to say it isn't impossible and I think keeping a log, as someone suggested, is a great idea!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts