German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

Registered
Hi there. I would consider leaving him downstairs and leave the crate door open so he can move about when he wants. My 4 month old puppy only spent his 1st week sleeping in the crate , after that I just left the door open. We got rid off the crate not long after that. When he sleeps , daytime or at night sometimes he gets up goes to another place and carry on sleeping in a different place. I also leave him out some water . Yes he may pee at night but I leave tha pads out. He is now holding his pee till the morning as he is getting older.
Also as others mentioned I noticed while I slept with him downstairs for the first 2 weeks that every time I turned he would wake up . They can hear sounds that humans wouldn't usually so it keeps waking them up . He sleeps much better by himself. If he is really wound up I just put some doggy relaxing music on and he off in minutes .

Registered
I can't sleep with a normal puppy or dog sleeping on a plastic crate pan. It's just too loud for me every time they adjust. Best thing of my life was finding primo pads. I get the tie down feature on them and then the puppy is quiet.

As for heavy panting...my now middle dog was always so hot in a crate. He was just miserable. He would wake me up panting all the time. He really wasn't destructive anyway so I started letting him sleep loose much sooner than usual. I closed us all in the bedroom and shut the closets and sort of puppy proofed the room and as soon as he was able to go lay on the bathroom floor to cool off no more panting. Then I got him a kuranda cot and now he lays on that when he wants to cool off.

My youngest now (18mo) is still sleeping in a crate by my bed even though he isn't destructive and I'm sure he would be fine loose. He made the mistake of punching my husband in the nuts the one night I let him out and now hubby isn't super receptive to letting him sleep in the bed. Considering that my 90lb shepherd is a terrible bed hogger, I haven't tried so hard to convince my husband to let the youngest in the bed because pretty soon there won't be any room for me. Anyway the 18mo dog likes his crate, sleeps on a fuzzy mat and has never destroyed a bed, and so I don't hear him and everybody is happy. HE has a bed warmer under his mat because he gets too cold!

Registered
How in the world do people teach their dogs to sleep calmly in bed with you and not wake you up at 5:30 in the morning?

My current pup is 7 months old and has never been destructive at all. I鈥檝e let him sleep in my bed a couple times, but it usually takes him an hour of chewing on toys and wandering around before he finally falls asleep, and then he constantly comes up and noses me/lays on me when he thinks it鈥檚 time to get up in the morning.

If I just put him in his crate, he goes to sleep almost instantly and is perfectly quiet and content for 10 hours until I get up. I just don鈥檛 get how you guys get your dogs to be so calm and lazy in bed.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts