German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I hope you and your fluff companion are all well. I am a first time GSD owner and I was wondering how much do GSD usually sleep. To give a bit of context, my husband and I have a 18month called Rudy, absolute charm. On a daily basis we take him on 2 very long walks where my husband does training, some parkour ( jumping onto sitting blocks along the street) and some recall training. Bare in mind we have only gotten him on Saturday he has adapted so well to living in the city and feeling comfortable with us. We have also changed his diet to raw as he wouldn't eat his kibbles. Today, he is sleeping a lot compared to yesterday. It is currently around 8 am and usually we take him on a long walk around 7.30 am but today he would prefer to just lay about a relax.

So my question is, is it normal for a GSD to sleep a lot?

I am quite worried. Thank you so much :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
How many hours a day do you think he is sleeping?

I think it sounds normal. He sounds like he is getting plenty of physical and brain activity. He is still getting used to everything so may have more energy in a few weeks. If he only joined you Saturday it's quite a big change and he is still getting comfortable in your household. Maybe take a slower pace for a couple of weeks.

If you are worried you can take him to a vet for a check up. May be no bad thing as he has just joined your family.

As always; let see a picture of your new boy Rudy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many hours a day do you think he is sleeping?

I think it sounds normal. He sounds like he is getting plenty of physical and brain activity. He is still getting used to everything so may have more energy in a few weeks. If he only joined you Saturday it's quite a big change and he is still getting comfortable in your household. Maybe take a slower pace for a couple of weeks.

If you are worried you can take him to a vet for a check up. May be no bad thing as he has just joined your family.

As always; let see a picture of your new boy Rudy
Hello,

Thank you very much for your reply, we really appreciate your thoughts. Usually, we put him to bed around 11.30-11.45pm and wake him up around 6.30am to go out to do his business. Then around 7.30-9am big long walk and another one early afternoon. He is super active, alive and happy when we are out but once we are home he goes either to his crate or sleeping bed in the living room to sleep. He would wake up a few times to come get rubs, drink water or move to another spot. We will keep a close eye for the few next days and might consider to have a overall routine check up by the end of the week.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Just to give you a comparison. Mine usually go to bed right around dark so this time of year its around 7 or 8. I get up around 4:30 or 5:00 and take them out for a bathroom trip. They go back to sleep until I give them breakfast around 6:30 then lay around until around 9. In the summer we are outside all day. This time of year we are in and out more. When we are in the usually lay down in preparation for the next big burst outside. So how you're describing yours doesn't sound unusual especially since he's new to your home.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
427 Posts
You never mentioned what a stunner he is 😍

Sounds like he has a good off switch.

Good luck, he sounds like a great dog!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to give you a comparison. Mine usually go to bed right around dark so this time of year its around 7 or 8. I get up around 4:30 or 5:00 and take them out for a bathroom trip. They go back to sleep until I give them breakfast around 6:30 then lay around until around 9. In the summer we are outside all day. This time of year we are in and out more. When we are in the usually lay down in preparation for the next big burst outside. So how you're describing yours doesn't sound unusual especially since he's new to your home.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Hello,

Thank you for your reassurance and your boy's routine. It gives a great perspective. We really appreciate that :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
He is gorgeous! Lucky you, and lucky him. Just for comparison, my dogs, not all GSD's, last potty call and to bed about 9 pm, when we do. Wake up for potty is anywhere from 6 to 7:30 am, sometimes I stay up, and sometimes we all go back to bed till about 8 - 8:30 am

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
I'd bet he wasn't given the kind of fresh air and exercise you're now giving him and he's simply happy and tuckered out under the new routine. Keep it up!

With COVID and working from home, I go to bed around 11:00 or a bit after (last walk is just before)
and not up until 7-8am. They sleep happily the entire time. But they don't sleep too much in the day at all as we're busy and out at least 4-5X plus I take them for any shorter car rides. They lay quietly or amuse each other if I'm watching TV for a few hours in the evening but it's actually pretty hard to catch them sleeping; if I even move they know.

·
Registered
224 Posts
First of all, he is such a beauty!

That sounds about normal for a GSD with a good off-switch. Was he adopted? Maybe he is just adjusting to the new routine and you are giving him a higher level of activity than what he's used to?

Please feel free to post more pictures anytime. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd bet he wasn't given the kind of fresh air and exercise you're now giving him and he's simply happy and tuckered out under the new routine. Keep it up!

With COVID and working from home, I go to bed around 11:00 or a bit after (last walk is just before)
and not up until 7-8am. They sleep happily the entire time. But they don't sleep too much in the day at all as we're busy and out at least 4-5X plus I take them for any shorter car rides. They lay quietly or amuse each other if I'm watching TV for a few hours in the evening but it's actually pretty hard to catch them sleeping; if I even move they know.
Hello,

Thank you very much for your reply. It's really nice and reassurance to see and understand how other GSD's routine look like. I dont know why tho, when I see him sleep I think something is off as I think he should always be doing something. But now I am starting to understand him and the breed a little more everyday :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First of all, he is such a beauty!

That sounds about normal for a GSD with a good off-switch. Was he adopted? Maybe he is just adjusting to the new routine and you are giving him a higher level of activity than what he's used to?

Please feel free to post more pictures anytime. :D
Hello,

We got Rudy from a breeder in the countryside here in the UK and he was brought up in nature, so lots of land, fields, animals.. We live in central London and my husband takes him out for good periods of exercise daily so I think it's a lot to take in from living in the country to the city.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts