German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 12 week old purebred GSD puppy. He's a big trouble maker but that's because he's a youngster. Still working on it.

I know normally it's not a good idea to allow your dog to sleep on the bed with you. However, my mattress is on the floor so it's kind of difficult to ALWAYS be pushing him off especially when I'm asleep. I normally wake up from the vibrations he causes when he firsts tries to sneak onto the bed but when I'm extremely tired I don't seem to wake up EVERY time. One time he snuck up onto the bed and lied down between my arm and body. It's really adorable and all but is it TRULY THAT BAD to allow them to sleep with you at this young of an age?

I know during puppy hood (thanks to all your advices) that dominance is no issue because he's young and growing, but if I allow him to sleep with us on the bed now will he be problematic when he's older?

I feel like right now he's always climbing up just to be close to us. :(

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i didn't allow our dog on the bed or sofa untill i could give
him a command to get on or off of the bed and sofa. he has
a bed in our bedroom and the livingroom. i find he'll sleep
on the bed with us more during the cold months.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Lakota has bed privliges, but only when we let her. All my dogs have their own beds in my bedroom. It was hard to teach her that she wasn't always welcome on the bed, but pushing her off over and over finally sunk in.
Now she gets on the bed when my husband gets up at 4:30 which Is fine even on weekends when he doesn't get up.
All my critters are so programed even the cat looks for him to get up at 4:30 on weekends.
We never allowed a dog to sleep on the bed before her, only just for hugs, we're mellowing out in our old age.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Lisl used to sleep with me when she was a very little puppy but as she's gotten older she jumps off the bed at lights out and sleeps on the floor. At around 0600 she jumps back up and lays down quietly.

I had her sleeping with me at first to help with potty training and sleeping through the night. It helped. She was sleeping through the night at 12 weeks.

I don't think there is anything wrong with letting the dog sleep on the bed.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Mine was allowed on the bed at night at 16 weeks. It wasn't earlier because she wasn't completely potty trained, I got her when she was almost 13 weeks.

·
Registered
744 Posts
NAY! They shed way too much. Maybe if you are single and living alone its ok cuz there is no funny business on the bed anyway lol

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Mine have all slept on my bed in their lifetimes, thank goodness I have a king size bed:)

Right now, masi is the bed hog, it's a little tight when she decides to sleep along my body, vs her side of the bed:)

Nothing wrong with it in my opinion, as long as the dog doesn't view the bed/furniture as "theirs", (as in growling and not allowing YOU on the bed/furniture as well), which I've never had happen

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I've had other dogs that slept on the bed. Never had a territorial issue with any of them.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
My main issue with it is one of hygeiene. My dog is out in the woods a lot and while I keep the dirt blown off of him he is a dog. He does not stink or anything.

But, I don't have any behavior issues with people doing it or anything; just personal preference -

·
Banned
377 Posts
My main issue with it is one of hygeiene. My dog is out in the woods a lot and while I keep the dirt blown off of him he is a dog. He does not stink or anything.

But, I don't have any behavior issues with people doing it or anything; just personal preference -
I agree. Dirt hair, etc. We have never allowed dogs on furniture. They have their own beds and a house full of padded carpets.
Do what you like.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Mine are only allowed on the bed when there is 1 person in it... which means after 2am when hubby gets up for work, I get both dogs in the bed usually.
Both dogs, on occasion, have snuck into the bed without us knowing and its fine. As long as everyone is comfortable.

As far as "that age". No, it's not horrible. Its what you & the pup want. Now if you let him do it now and don't allow him to a year from now, thats another story.

·
Registered
441 Posts
While I do allow my dog on bed/sofa she has little interest and prefers the cooler floor. If I do call her up on the bed, she will come, lay for a while then move off to the floor.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Mine are not allowed on my bed. When the kids were growing up and wanted the dogs to sleep with them, we allowed it. But I don't like the fur and gritty sand that comes from allowing them on my bed. Sometimes if hubby is away on business I will let them come up, but I always wash the sheets the next day. :)

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
When our girl was a pup, my daughter would put Molly on her bed to sleep. It is a high platform bed and Molly was afraid to jump off. Once she got older, Molly does not like the bed, she prefers to be "on call" and sleep/stay in the middle of the upstairs hallway. I think the bed may be too hot.

My husband would love it if she came up though.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Berlin was allowed in my bed from the day i got him. When he was little he'd sleep up there, but once he was big enough, he would jump down and go to his crate (on his own). Even though I let him sleep with me when he was young, he doesn't sleep in my bed. He prefers his crate. He does jump up here in the morning to wake me up and cuddle and before bed. I don't see a problem with it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
We have a no puppies on the bed rule, but that is just more for kennel training than anything else. IMHO, sleeping in the kennel helps to establish that kennels are not bad things. They get a Kong with a few dabs of peanut butter on them as well as lots of comfortable pillows and blankets. After they are trained enough to get off when asked, they are allowed up on the bed.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts