German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what age were your pups when you started to allow them to sleep in a bedroom with you without crate or x-pen? I'm thinking mine might be ready..... but I"m not sure. Right now she has been sleeping in an x-pen in the bedroom with me but I want the x-pen out. She has a large crate but it's in the dining room and she goes in there when we go someplace and she's not going with us or like right now, I'm sitting her watching tv and she's in the crate on her own - door is open. But it gets hot in the bedroom during the day and I don't think she'd like it in there during the day.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I didnt have a crate in the bedroom initially. He started out in a flat collar and leashed to the headboard with about 4 feet of length and nothing to get tangled on. I am a super light sleeper anyway so any moving around or restlessness and I was up and taking him out to pee. He started showing me he was ready to be free at night when we were staying up late, and he would disappear and go to his bed in there. He was heading in to sleep and not molesting my old dog (many issues early on because the brat would not take a correction from the old guy and would really haunt him and they were 90% separated for his safety). Then he decided he wanted to sleep next to my old dog at night, and still no molesting and he would take himself out the dog door in the night and come back to sleep. I think this was about 4 months old. And we tried hard to wear him out before bedtime too.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Mine was about a year old when I let him sleep out of his crate during the night. He usually sleeps in the lounge or in the hall outside my bedroom door. He doesn't sleep in my room at night as that is where the cats sleep and they don't like him :(

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Mine starts sleeping in the bedroom with me night after night after night at around 6 months when the nipping and chewing started to dial down. As long as he calms down and doesn't go on a destructive mode, letting your dog sleep in the same room with you will definitely takes bonding on another level.

·
Registered
855 Posts
It was intermittent for us. I gave Ryka freedom to sleep out of her crate when I took her to visit my family. My old bedroom was small with little to nothing for her to get into, so it was a perfect opportunity to start. It continued until she was about 7 months, then she got rowdy again and went back to being crated. Around 8-9 months she was allowed trial freedom again, and has since proven herself trust worthy at night. In fact, she's so accustomed to being out at night that when she gets crated she puts up the biggest stink, and she's very well crate trained. Just loves to sleep on the bed with us or at least on the couch we have in our master.

Lots of times with this stuff it's just trying and see how your dog does. You'll know whether or not they're ready based on how little sleep you get, lol!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Since 3 months of age.

She is allowed all day&night walking freely through house. But my girls is special. She never destroyed anything, is perfectly potty trained etc. Depends on a dog I guess. Some dogs might be ready at 3 months, some might not be ready at 3 years.... .

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took x-pen away last night for the first time. Went well. I put her giant floor dog bed in the bedroom and she slept well. Got up EARLY!!! 5:00AM. I have a sliding door to the back yard in the bedroom so it's not a big deal. I just have to get out of bed and open it for her. She usually sleeps til 6:00AM. but all night, she just slept. I'll keep the x-pen handy in case I need to put it back up but she seems fine. She can't get to the rest of the house as I keep bedroom door closed and she seems fine with it.
She did try and figure out how to get on my bed. She's not big enough (yet). She's 5 months old now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
thays cool. mags doesnt destroy either ( knock on wood. ) i left her crate door open last night she went in on her own at 6 am i got up amd she came out to pee since the 1st night maggie has not peed or pooped in the house. they are super smart dogs. i just have to let the cats have run of the house at night. i was 100% surprised that maggie was still in her crate amd not on the couch this morning. i wanna trust her. but i have had my shoes eatten by a another dog i had before...his name was rock and he ate everything!!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We also have 3 cats that have the run of the house 24/7. I was afraid if she heard the cats wrestling around early in the AM, that would set her off. The cats can get pretty rowdy and they scream! Nope, I guess she's used to them.

·
Registered
312 Posts
We also have three cats, and yes at 5am or so if they have brought a critter in thru the dog door they are usually giving it to Trickster =/
My cats have learned to wrestle silently because my old rottweiler referees and breaks them up otherwise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts