German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Sad situation. Sounds like he was given many chances and blew them... Hopefully this makes him get his act together so he can get the dog back. But it shouldn't have to come to this :(

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree Lin, it sounded to me like he was thumbing his nose at their rules. An uncomfortable position for all concerned.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Unfortunate. I guess in his situation I'd simply have one privately trained (yes I know it's $$) or train it myself (assuming he has the time and ability to do so). They weren't really clear, or maybe I missed it, but when the dog was off lead I'm assuming this was when he was doing things such as mountain biking, which I think is fine off lead with a trained dog. But, it's technically their dog so what they say goes.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Rerun. I totally agree with that. Training a dog that he OWNS would be a better option. I would always rather own my animals.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Definitely another option, but I don't know how likely that is with a young Dr! Though I guess he has enough time to go mountain biking etc.

I find some of the rules ridiculous from training organizations... One of the reasons I'll only ever have owner trained SDs! But to accept the dog and disrespect their rules, after many warnings, is really lousy.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Thanks for the update! He really cares about the dog, thats good. Really good sign that he wants HIS dog back, and isn't satisfied with being given another SD from a different organization. I wonder if him being willing to change things came up at all though. The article only mentions him having put the dog in danger, did they take into consideration any pledge to not do it again? I'm sure he would be serious about it at this point, seeing what came from ignoring their requests.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Hmmm but it sounds like he ignored their requests the other times and that is why they took the dog. If that is really the case then I can understand why they would not want to give him back. Sad all the way around.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
You need to discuss this with a lawyer.
The only thing that would accomplish is to fatten the attorney's wallet.

the participant is given "custody" not "ownership" of the dog.
The Dr. does not own the dog nor did he pay for it. It seems to me the man has no legal leg to stand on (no pun intended I swear).

spokeswoman for Canine Companions for Independence, said in a statement sent from their headquarters in Santa Rosa, Calif. "We've had many conversations and visits with Dr. Yonnet to help resolve numerous safety issues over the past year. We finally had to intervene to ensure the dog's health and safety."
I feel sorry for the man I really do. But if you've been warned on numerous occasions, you would think he'd have listened. To continually ignore the rules is like thumbing your nose at the organization and what it does for people.

He also said Yonnet was very confrontational and, at one time, had a electronic collar on Elon, which was a serious breach of CCI's standards for treatment of its dogs.
Seriously? Why on earth would a SD need an e-collar?

I can't imagine what it would be like to be in his position. The love he has for the dog is certainly evident. I would hope that he would change his ways if the dog were returned to him.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
It doesn't really sound like the dog was an actual service dog?

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does CCI place dogs that aren't SDs? The organization has an excellent reputation. I can't imagine them saying that a dog is a SD unless it really is one.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Ah, I see now. I was just reading the article initially, not watching the video. The articles doesn't state the guy was paralyzed and goes on to talk about him mountain biking and climbing to the top of a mountain. I just didn't sound like he had a disability that would cause him to need one from the article.

But, I see the video tell quite a different story. I think they need to re-write that article.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts