German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Tomato juice. We used it on several dogs when I was a kid. I think with dish soap. It works. Big issue is you need lots and it's neither cheap nor efficient. It stains things, you need to let it sit on the dog and you need to repeat several times.
Stupid Lab that we had got skunked and before anyone could stop him he had busted through the screen door and rubbed against anything he could find. The whole house reeked of skunk. Mom and Dad were furious, we got a new couch and a whole mess of bedding and towels got bleached. Whether they were white or not! Lol. Dog was not around long. Skunked a couple more times, quilled 5 or 6 and tangled with a couple coons. He was simply not the brightest bulb. Lol.
Keeping skunks away. Lighting does nicely at night, and I found hitting them with the hose set to jet does nicely as well. They are smart. They figure it out quickly.
Of course you can only keep them out of your yard. On walks? Avoid. They run from nothing.
Vinyl fencing. Not sure but a vinegar spray should work.

·
Registered
162 Posts
this is all good info for sure! I always thought tomato juice did it. thankfully i have never had the 'joy' of having a dog being sprayed yet. I have heard horror stories about it from other people (dogs sprinting into the house and rubbing themselves on everything and anything to get the smell off).

living in the city we don't encounter any skunks surprisingly.. haven't seen many raccoons either.. Stray cats, yes.. But they have learned to walk around our yard and not come through it thanks to Karma and Bubba :)

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
As to your other question, I love dog smell. Sabi smelled like a warm blanket.
I love horse smell to.
The things that take me to my happy place.
Never understood people who complain about dog smell.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Google is your friend:
In the case of skunk spray, when this happens, the smell of tomato juice is easily detected and it appears that the skunk odor is gone. While bathing an animal with tomato juice might wash off some of the chemical components causing the odor, it does nothing to chemically alter or neutralize the odor.

De-skunking - Village Veterinary Practice

How does tomato juice make skunk smell go away? Tomato juice does not make skunk odor go away. More specifically, tomato juice does not react chemically with the skunk odor to destroy it. Instead, it simply has a strong enough smell on its own to partially mask the skunk smell.Aug 29, 2013

How does tomato juice make skunk smell go away? | Science ...

The Stinking Truth of Skunk Spray and Tomato Juice
ome of the suggestions you'll find when searching for ways to rid yourself of the odiferous skunk spray aren't terribly appealing. Then again, if you've ever gotten a whiff of a skunk's primary weapon (reminiscent of rotten eggs to the nth degree), you may consider any home remedy thrown your way.

Many of the common recommendations, like bathing in a tub full of tomato juice, do little more than mask the unpleasant smell. The most effective antidotes are those that neutralize the spray's main ingredients by changing them into different, nonsmelly compounds.

Is it true that tomato sauce will get rid of the smell of a skunk ...
scienceline.org › 2006/07 › ask-cosier-skunk

Jul 26, 2006 - Nothing is quite as jarring as the smell of a skunk, especially if you're the one who's been sprayed. But contrary to folklore, bathing in tomato sauce or juice won't wash away the stench. Tomato juice simply masks the skunk smell. It does not eliminate it.

Tomato juice does not remove skunk smell, but this does ...
bangordailynews.com › link › tomato-juice-does-not-re...

Sep 28, 2016 - Tomato juice does not remove skunk smell, but this does ... Tomato products do work, but it takes time, and it's much better on the face and ...

Does Tomato Juice Really Neutralize Skunk Odor? | Britannica
www.britannica.com › ... › Entertainment & Pop Culture

In short, the tomato juice masks the smell of skunkish thiol, and if one remains in a house redolent of tomato juice and skunk scent long enough, the scent will ...

Tomato juice is a myth. Here's what you need to do if your pet ...
www.latimes.com › style › pets › la-hm-pets-what-to-d...

Aug 26, 2017 - “They don't work very well,” Ryder said of the cans of cocktail juice. “And then you end up with a dog that smells like skunks and tomato soup.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts