German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,261 Posts
There’s generally so much conflicting info online, but I can say that the information linked above was accurate and effective... I just went through this process a couple weeks ago.

I included peroxide in the first batch of solution but not in subsequent baths (where I let the soap sit longer) out of fear of bleaching his fur.

Since it’s late, depending on if the skunk got your dog more than once or if your dog has had a chance to roll around and spread it... I would try to only concentrate on the areas sprayed. Usually head, neck, chest, shoulders. The face is hard to clean as thoroughly since you don’t want to get soap in their eyes.

Also be advised... that this will make a HUGE difference however if you’re sensitive to the smell, it won’t go completely away. When you bathe your dog in the future or after swimming, rain, etc... you may still get a whiff of the smell (while wet/damp) for up to 6+ months in my experience.

good luck!

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
So the bathing of the dog is great, but anything the dog rubs against is going to smell as well. Including you. So contain the smelly beast while you get stuff together.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update. There was no hydrogen peroxide in the house (it's been out of stock at most pharmacies because of the pandemic), so first bath was baking soda and dish soap outside in the garden while someone else drove to an emergency vet clinic to buy "skunk off".

My hound Titus wouldn't let me bathe him outside, he kept running around in the circles. So into the house we went. Of course he rubbed up against my pants. Thankfully it's mostly on his chest and I gave it a good wash.

Now he's in his crate and we are boiling vinegar to mask the smell. It's working, I think, in that mostly I smell vinegar and sometimes skunk instead of skunk all the time.

What an adventure! Lol. Juno the GSD kept sniffing poor Titus, trying to figure out what happened.

Thank you for all your advice. It was helpful. I didn't know about baking soda. I'd only heard the tomato juice remedy. My first thought was: I don't have any tomato juice! 😂

Does skunk wash out in the laundry?

·
Super Moderator
7,261 Posts
Yes it should wash out of your clothes just fine. It’s essentially oil, so any detergent that can cut grease. Of course a cup of vinegar wouldn’t hurt if you’re unsure.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Baking soda, peroxide and dawn worked for us. About a year later on a camping trip we were taking a midnight stroll around a large pond, when all of sudden he started pulling me backwards and didn't want to continue. On closer inspection there was a skunk 30 feet up the trail, standing his ground and waiting to see if he needed to spray. I saw the good dog had a valid point and we went the other way.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I used vinegar. I raced to a market at 10 pm one night, and bought two gallons. This was a few dogs ago, and I still have vinegar left. Even with a good strong bath, the smell lingered for two weeks.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Oh gosh....the thing I hate the most! I had one golden retriever that got sprayed 4 different times. I have so many skunk stories....
Best wishes to you and your house!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I remember the first time that I smelled a skunk Scent. I was studying in the USA and I was in a mini bus with other students, driving along the road.

The driver spotted a dead skunk on the road but was too late to void it, as he drove over it, the smell that came through the bus was something that I will not forget🦨

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, skunk smell is almost gone. I boiled vinegar in a pot to purify the air, now we leave bowls of vinegar out at night just to get out the last of the smell. I also put 2 cups vinegar into my humidifier (I do this regularly to cope with dog smell).

Titus still smells if I bury my face in his neck for some love. I love how he smells. (Anyone else love how their dog smells? I started to love his smell when we switched to raw).

There's a patch of skunk spray on the vinyl fence... any suggestions?

PS the other skunk smell doesn't linger as much...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ok, skunk smell is almost gone. I boiled vinegar in a pot to purify the air, now we leave bowls of vinegar out at night just to get out the last of the smell. I also put 2 cups vinegar into my humidifier (I do this regularly to cope with dog smell).

Titus still smells if I bury my face in his neck for some love. I love how he smells. (Anyone else love how their dog smells? I started to love his smell when we switched to raw).

There's a patch of skunk spray on the vinyl fence... any suggestions?

PS the other skunk smell doesn't linger as much...
As a kid we kept a few baby skunks as pets after their mom got killed. They are great when descented, don't make much noise and use a litter box. They are fearless. The scent gland is a ductless glad near the butt, we removed them and I got a bit of baby skunk scent on my hand. It stains the skin and nothing would get rid of it, the slight bit of scent lasted for weeks.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Tomato juice is an old wives tale and basically useless.

All you need is a solution of
  1. 1 quart of 3-percent hydrogen peroxide (available at any pharmacy)
  2. 1/4 cup baking soda.
  3. 1 teaspoon of any liquid dishwashing soap.
Avoid the eye and rise thoroughly. May take multiple washings in a row and yes, you will still get a whiff of skunk for weeks when they get wet.

My dogs have been sprayed occasionally over the years, some learn after one incident to avoid them, some never learn same as porcupines. We were walking down a lane a few years ago and saw a skunk about 75 yards away. We didn't even go any closer and it chased us for those who 75 yards back, must have been kits near by.

But my current pup came face to butt with one night this Spring, no more than a foot apart but neither was interested. I watched it by flashlight calming saunter off up the hill for minutes. It's the reason I always have to carry a flashlight the last several years.

What you need is a good neighborhood Horned Owl to thin out the numbers :p

1 - 20 of 29 Posts