German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I just wanted to let everyone know that our mixed breed dog, Gunner, got skunked for the 2nd time in about 6 weeks. The first time, I gave him 2 tomato juice baths and 2 regular baths and we could still smell the skunk. He took a full hit to the face. Last night it happened again and I had google how to best get rid of the smell after the last time. We used 1 qt. hydrogen peroxide and 1/4 cup baking soda and just sponged it on the effected area(his face and chest) and then rinsed. We repeated and he was pretty much smell free and so he got to sleep in his crate in the house last night! I gave him a regular bath this a.m. and can't smell any skunk. We don't know if he got it as bad as the first time, but boy did he smell. I just wanted to share this in case someone else needs to know what to do. Supposedly, the baking soda mixed with the hydrogen peroxide has a neutralizing effect on the skunk oil. This has been a new experience for me since my outside only dogs had never been skunked and now that I have 2 LARGE ones in the house, the trouble maker keeps finding the trouble. He is a rescue, but worth all the trouble.

· Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This hint came to me from one of our adopters. His dog got skunked, while in Texas. Someone suggested scope mouthwash. He thought they were pulling his leg, but it really worked. Since then, I have kept Scope in the house for my dog. Any time she even rolls in anything stinky, I wipe her down with the mouthwash. Don't know why it works, but sure glad it does.
I'll add that to my list of things to keep on hand. They hydrogen peroxide/baking soda is cheaper, but more trouble to mix up and I wouldn't use it on regular odors. Gunner hates water so you know that this was not fun at 7:30 p.m. I can laugh about it now. I thought that he would have learned his lesson, but I think that he thinks that the skunks are very pretty cats with a funny white stripe! LOL

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.