German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2 1/2 yr old GSD is only 77 lbs...we have been feeding him 4 cups of Petcurean Go Salmon a day with 1/4 cup of Tripe on top. He is energetic and happy but he seems to be so underweight...you can feel his spine and hip bones, but it is disguised by his long coat. We have increased his food to 5 cups but have not seen any weight gain. We have to be selective about what we feed him because his skin gets really itchy. We were told he has yeast allergies, so he can't have anything that produces sugars. To be honest his skin is better since putting him on a limited diet, but it is not great...he still has some dandruff next to the skin and it itchy. His coat however looks silky and great. It's very confusing, but if someone could give me any insight or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
27,220 Posts
Have you given him digestive enzymes/ probiotics? If the tripe is canned, the nutrition benefits have been compromised. Fresh(frozen) is best.
I would also get a fecal run to rule out parasites.

Omega oils/vitamin E will help with the coat, even if you are feeding a fish based diet. Did the vet test for allergies?

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Are you able to post a picture of him?:)

To me 77 pounds sounds fine. Do you know how tall he is?

You should easily be able to feel his ribs, they should not be protruding.

My 14 month intact male weighs about 73 pounds, 25" at his withers.

I can easily feel his ribs & viewing him from the top he has a waist.

Mine LOVES LOVES fresh tripe;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He doesn't look skinny because he is a long coat, but the vet said he is underweight because you can easily feel his hip bones and spine. We fed him salmon oil for a year and saw no improvement, plus he got to the point that he wouldn't touch his food with it on it...and yes the trip is canned. He just had his checkup and there were no parasites. The vet has not tested for allergies. I am not sure how tall he is.

·
Registered
27,220 Posts
You can give salmon oil gelcaps(human grade) my dogs eat them like they're treats. Canned tripe is totally not the same as fresh....I would order a chub or two of the fresh and you'll see the difference. Digestive enzymes may help him to process his food better. He may do better on something else?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
We were giving him digestive enzymes for the past 3 months and didn't see a difference...I will try to find the fresh tripe...Here is a picture of him this past winter. We fed him Canidae for his first year then switched to TOTW (3 different formulas) then to Petcurean Go.

·
Registered
27,220 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts