German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
This is my very first post and it's regarding my female GSD who is one year old now. I got her when she was 6 months old, they previous owners were feeding her boiled beef with rice once a day. I thought she needed to gain some weight so I started feeding her thrice, a heavy meal in morning, a lighter one in evening and again one heavy meal at night. She was doing great, thens he turned 8 months old and had her first heat cycle, she stopped eating completely during her heat, to the point that I had to force feed her. I tried changing her food to royal canin GSD junior 30, she ate it in the first few days but then stopped, and this went on for almost a month, she would eat half a bowl in the night and spend the rest of the day eating nothing. I asked the vet about it but it seems vets here are not well educated to judge a dog, he said she is fine but I could clearly see how skinny her feet and belly was, he told me to give her Vidaylin M syrup, NO DIFFERENCE. Anyways when the heat passed, she finally started eating and she is almost 13 months old now but I cant seem to see any difference in her built, she still looks skinny... feeding her rice and chicken twice a day and bread mashed with raw egg in evening. I am attaching her pics so you guys could see the difference of she looked when she was 8 months old and how she looks now. Any help would be appreciated. ALso I heard cat food would make her gain a bit? Is that safe? Her size is smaller too :/

Attachments

·
Registered
27,250 Posts
Welcome Hira,
Can you get whole raw chickens and other meat?
I would feed her raw instead of cooked, she needs the calcium and phosphorus that are in the raw bones. Eggs are great too, but she should have more variety and not the carbs of bread or rice(those are just fillers). Look in the raw forum for menu options.

·
Registered
892 Posts
don't give her cat food..no good. Stick to a high quality large breed food

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm not a fan of rice for underweight dogs, it has some carbs, but is basically just a filler food. (People often eat rice when they're dieting because it's filling without being fattening) I'd take the rice out and add some high quality large dog breed food..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes off course I can give her raw meat but isn't there a superstition that feeding raw meat to animals makes them biters? That's why I never tried it in the first place. But raw meat is certainly much healthier and convenient for me too, since I wont have to cook everyday LOL.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem. My vet put Jade on prescription diet dental food and gastral intestinal food for calories. Then when she was at her ideal weight I stopped the gastral and her base diet stayed the same.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Is she truly underweight? Hard to tell with a coatie, but I think she looks great! I can't stand an overweight GSD. Your girl looks nice and lean, and if she's not exhibiting any issues from her size (like exercise intolerance) then I'd focus more on a high quality food and muscle building. Personally, based on these two pictures alone, I think she looks awesome. I'd be working on conditioning and counting my blessing that I didn't end up with a behemoth of a WGSL dog.

(But again- my opinion is based on these pics alone. You may post other pics that could dissuade my opinion.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not a fan of rice for underweight dogs, it has some carbs, but is basically just a filler food. (People often eat rice when they're dieting because it's filling without being fattening) I'd take the rice out and add some high quality large dog breed food..

Okay I am going to take the rice and bread out. And the problem with good quality dog food here is that there aren't much options, the best 'said' dog food here is Royal Canin, but I personally didn't think it made her gain any weight, just made her coat prettier. I was looking for 'Taste of the wild' and I asked a supplier to import some bags, so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
...but isn't there a superstition that feeding raw meat to animals makes them biters?
Yes, there is a superstition about that, but it's utter nonsense.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
welcome , great looking dog .
Diet of boiled meat and rice is poor for several reasons.

Enzymes (protease) in the meat are destroyed by boiling.
Rice - especially white rice - has little to offer , plus phytates (phytic acid) which either has to be altered by soak and rinse or by sprouting . This acid further inhibits absorption of important minerals.
What ever fat was in the mince also has been altered rendering it more difficult to digest .
The diet was lacking proper fats, minerals of every sort , macro, trace and elemental , vitamins .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is she truly underweight? Hard to tell with a coatie, but I think she looks great! I can't stand an overweight GSD. Your girl looks nice and lean, and if she's not exhibiting any issues from her size (like exercise intolerance) then I'd focus more on a high quality food and muscle building. Personally, based on these two pictures alone, I think she looks awesome. I'd be working on conditioning and counting my blessing that I didn't end up with a behemoth of a WGSL dog.

(But again- my opinion is based on these pics alone. You may post other pics that could dissuade my opinion.)

Actually she is quite active, so yeah she doesn't exhibit any issues but size matters, some people keep blaming me that I am starving her and not feeding her right where as thats not true, I am doing everything I can but it just seems she loses whatever calories she gains, by being hyper too much. Maybe I should pay attention on muscle building too, maybe then she'll look more fuller.
Sure, posting other pics too :)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
The very last pic is the only one that gives me pause, but she is standing a little wonky. Overall, I think she looks fantastic. With some conditioning/muscle building, I'd even call her very athletic looking. I personally don't see an issue... Very pretty dog!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The very last pic is the only one that gives me pause, but she is standing a little wonky. Overall, I think she looks fantastic. With some conditioning/muscle building, I'd even call her very athletic looking. I personally don't see an issue... Very pretty dog!

How do I do muscle building on her? No idea about it... help me again!

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
How would you do it for yourself? Same thing applies for your dog... Swimming, running (fetching) uphill, working exercise balls, general running, hiking, tricks that engage core muscle groups (like play bow, down to stand, sit to stand), etc. There's an excellent DVD called "Get on the Ball Two" that may help you out as well- though it's primarily focused on using an exercise ball. There are plenty of free activities you can do.

Here's a preview of Get On The Ball:

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I agree a raw meat diet would probably be best in this scenario, as Jane already mentioned there's a whole section of the forum on it. She's a gorgeous dog and good food along with some muscle building exercise will have her looking stunning :)

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Hira: If you want to feed a home prepared diet cooked or raw I would suggest doing some more research to learn how to properly balance it.

I have successfully fed a diet of cooked meat and/or rice/quinoa/sweet potato for many years, there is nothing wrong with feeding these but you will have to add what the diet is lacking (example: calcium, copper, iron, etc.)

I can suggest some reading materials and a Yahoo group:

K9 Kitchen - K9Kitchen : dog diets raw cooked allergies disease
Monica Segal - Vitamins and Minerals (check out "Books & Booklets")

I don't have any personal experience with Dr. Lauten but have heard good things about her and she also has a book out:

About Dr. Susan Lauten, PhD | petnutritionconsulting.com
Back To Basics: Whole Foods For Healthy Dogs - Back To Basics Pet Care

Good luck :)

Michaela

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Update on my baby

Hey everyone, you were so helpful and I just want to update you all on how she's doing now. I started feeding raw to her 3 weeks ago, first week I gave her chicken twice a day and raw eggs with flax seed oil in evening ( I have removed all sorts of grains from her diet ). 2nd week I started giving her beef with little bit fat twice a day and pureed vegetables in evening. Her fur is getting better, softer, and her chest area has become alot more rounded, she's still a bit weak at her posterior but the front has filled up. Her color hasn't gotten darker but I guess it will take time. Also she has black poops now, but I think it's mostly because of blood from raw meat.
I am posting her pictures, taken today.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts