German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1.5 year old gsd girl, she takes comfortis once a month and is also on the topical flea medication. i just put her on the salmon oil/omega-3 today and was wondering if that/or what else will keep her from scratching and chewing her skin? it’s not extreme but it’s noticeable. i don’t see any fleas. just maybe hot spots? i’m not sure. any and all advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Have your vet look at her!

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
i have a 1.5 year old gsd girl, she takes comfortis once a month and is also on the topical flea medication. i just put her on the salmon oil/omega-3 today and was wondering if that/or what else will keep her from scratching and chewing her skin? it’s not extreme but it’s noticeable. i don’t see any fleas. just maybe hot spots? i’m not sure. any and all advice is appreciated!
MANY possibilities:

*Side effects from Comfortis.com: For dogs: The most common adverse reaction reported is vomiting. Other adverse reactions reported in decreasing order of frequency are: depression/lethargy, decreased appetite, incoordination, diarrhea, itching, trembling, excessive salivation and seizures.

*Topical Flea/Tick Side effects per PetMD:
Symptom and Types

• Allergic reactions -- hives, congestion, itching, extreme sensitivity, shock, respiratory distress, death (very rare)
  • Idiosyncratic reactions -- resembles toxic reactions at much lower doses.
  • Mild reaction -- excessive (hyper) salivation, paw flicking, ear twitching, mild depression, vomiting, diarrhea.

*Food or treat ingredient sensitivity

*Environmental - examples such as: Grass, plants, trees etc., new dog bed, new carpet in house, new detergent, too many things to list!

*Vaccinations

Don't let those hot spots get out of control. ;)

Moms :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how do u get rid of the hot spots or stop the itching? i have a spray i use and itch/allergy pills as well i give her and don’t do anything

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how do u get rid of the hot spots or stop the itching? i have a spray i use and itch/allergy pills as well i give her and don’t do anything

MANY possibilities:

*Side effects from Comfortis.com: For dogs: The most common adverse reaction reported is vomiting. Other adverse reactions reported in decreasing order of frequency are: depression/lethargy, decreased appetite, incoordination, diarrhea, itching, trembling, excessive salivation and seizures.

*Topical Flea/Tick Side effects per PetMD:
Symptom and Types

• Allergic reactions -- hives, congestion, itching, extreme sensitivity, shock, respiratory distress, death (very rare)
  • Idiosyncratic reactions -- resembles toxic reactions at much lower doses.
  • Mild reaction -- excessive (hyper) salivation, paw flicking, ear twitching, mild depression, vomiting, diarrhea.

*Food or treat ingredient sensitivity

*Environmental - examples such as: Grass, plants, trees etc., new dog bed, new carpet in house, new detergent, too many things to list!

*Vaccinations

Don't let those hot spots get out of control. /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

Moms /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
For the itch, you can try a "natural" approach BUT .... if the hot spots are opened skin, do not let the mix get on them....it will burn.

For itching; Purchase Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar from a health food store (some grocery stores now carry it). Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. You will know it is organic because you will see “The Mother” (which contains the medicinal properties) floating around in the bottle. It can be used internally (to aide in digestion) and externally (for itching). Make a 50/50 mix of the Organic ACV with purified water (not city tap water) and after a bath with a mild organic or castile soap/shampoo, rub the Organic ACV mix down into the skin/coat, working in small areas, until the whole dog is covered including legs and belly. Always be careful of eyes (vinegar stings). Let dog drip dry, do not rinse off. You can put the mix in a spray bottle and spray on their coats and specific itchy spots (if skin is not opened) a few times per day till you see improvement. You can also use this mix to wipe out ears.

Natural Shampoo’s:
MOOSH:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HNFJUDW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
4-LEGGER
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011ESJXRW/ref=sxr_pa_click_within_right_aps_sr_pg1_2?psc=1

Organic ACV: ~Internally:
*Add 1 Tablespoon of ACV to each meal. If the dog doesn’t seem to like it, mix the AVC first with a Tablespoon or two of low fat chicken broth, then drizzle over kibble.

What food and treats are you feeding?

What allergy meds? From Vet?

Moms :)

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Oh, gosh, I feel your pain.

The itching is a manifestation of something going on internally. It’s just the tip of the iceberg.

Hans is 7 and I have given up on finding the cause of his skin problems. It’s autoimmune.
I tried everything under the sun, and he still got itchy sores, sometimes spreading so fast, it was terrible. No cream, spray, lotion, shampoo, or allergy herb/pill/ powder went untried by me.
We tried changing his food a million times. We tried wiping his paws each time he went outside, in case it was pollen or grass.

I finally resorted to Cytopoint shots every three months or so, with Convenia shots if he gets infected sores. I hate having to inject him with those, but he is now almost normal, and at least for a while his skin is clear.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i haven’t tried a raw diet yet. she is on comfortis, omega3 supplements, itch/allergy pills, occasional hot spot spray, and the topical flea stuff. i bathe her once a month, maybe i’m wrong for doing that.

For the itch, you can try a "natural" approach BUT .... if the hot spots are opened skin, do not let the mix get on them....it will burn.

For itching; Purchase Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar from a health food store (some grocery stores now carry it). Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. You will know it is organic because you will see “The Mother” (which contains the medicinal properties) floating around in the bottle. It can be used internally (to aide in digestion) and externally (for itching). Make a 50/50 mix of the Organic ACV with purified water (not city tap water) and after a bath with a mild organic or castile soap/shampoo, rub the Organic ACV mix down into the skin/coat, working in small areas, until the whole dog is covered including legs and belly. Always be careful of eyes (vinegar stings). Let dog drip dry, do not rinse off. You can put the mix in a spray bottle and spray on their coats and specific itchy spots (if skin is not opened) a few times per day till you see improvement. You can also use this mix to wipe out ears.

Natural Shampoo’s:
MOOSH:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HNFJUDW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
4-LEGGER
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011ESJXRW/ref=sxr_pa_click_within_right_aps_sr_pg1_2?psc=1

Organic ACV: ~Internally:
*Add 1 Tablespoon of ACV to each meal. If the dog doesn’t seem to like it, mix the AVC first with a Tablespoon or two of low fat chicken broth, then drizzle over kibble.

What food and treats are you feeding?

What allergy meds? From Vet?

Moms /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
i haven’t tried a raw diet yet. She is on comfortis,

omega3 supplements, brand name

itch/allergy pills, by vet or otc? brand name

occasional hot spot spray, brand name
and the

topical flea stuff. brand name

i bathe her once a month, maybe i’m wrong for doing that. most people don't.

...food and treat brand name

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
OP, hot spots are nearly always bacterial. Before you make yourself crazy with food changes, buy a bottle of antimicrobial shampoo with chlorhexadine 4% and follow bottle directions, leaving it on the dog as directed. Knock down the bacteria load so that the skin can heal. Then do it again in a week. For a lot of dogs, it dramatically improves itching. Just keep it below the neck (shoulders down) so that it doesn't get in the eyes! (NOTE: this is a veterinary shampoo that doesn't foam and strip oils; it's designed for frequent use -- weekly for at least a month isn't a problem in dogs with high bacteria loads than need to undergo treatment. It has the wonderful benefit of avoiding oral antibiotics for some dogs, if done diligently.)

In between baths, spray the hotspot with Vetericin Wound Care spray 2x day. Everyone should have a bottle in the house -- it doesn't sting, even if there's an open wound (I used it on myself to be sure). It will speed healing.

If the hot spot is big though, it needs to go to the vet. They can get enormous quickly if not dealt with timely. At the vet, they give a tiny pin-prick injection of meds that cause it to dry and heal in a week, often with RX antibiotic spray. Dogs with hotspots also nearly always need to be put in a "cone of shame" to keep them from licking!

I've posted this a million times, but nobody ever searches before posting about itching so here it is again: An international panel of vet derms (world-leading experts!) recommended bathing as a first-line intervention with this sort of itching. It's inexpensive, and the complex interventions will be there later if it doesn't work.

Here's an example of the shampoo -- read the reviews to see what I mean about it helping itching:
https://www.amazon.com/Dechra-TrizChlor-4-Shampoo-8-Ounce/dp/B00K4X8TF6/

Here's the Vetericyn:
https://www.amazon.com/Vetericyn-Plus-Animal-Wound-Spray/dp/B06WP7LGPT/

Even if it's an allergy, environmental allergies are far more common than true food allergies, and washing off the allergen goes a long way to helping. True food allergies often have a GI component as well. When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses, not zebras. You can go on a zebra hunt if there are no horses, but since common things show up commonly, you might save yourself a lot of aggravation by starting with simple, inexpensive interventions first.

Also, why are you using Comfortis and topical flea med? Comfortis is an oral flea med. Did your vet suggest doing that? If not, ask about it, as when we have to do a topical tick med with a monthly flea/heartworm med, there's a protocol to put them 2 weeks apart that our vet gave us.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts