German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think is better? my vet said the skin use to be but now the blood is better because they have better ways now of checking? what do you guys think?

My vet also thinks shots work much better now than they did before.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
blood test is 480 for everything ive done it tho, never the shots

I was curious tho what people thought about diff methods of testing, skin vs saliva vs blood

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Hi Pets4Life,
You don't say what your dog's particular problem is, or why you've had him/her tested, (but I understand you are just looking for feedback on which test people have had experience with) but if your dogs issue could be controlled by diet, that would be the route I'd take.

Here are some excerpts about the Nutri-Scan Testing, and why it is different. I have seen this test work on a friends dog.
Hope this info helps! ;)
Q. How does this test differ from other food “allergy” tests on serum or feces ?
A. Food allergy tests measure antibodies to IgG and IgE in serum or feces. These are typically more acute allergic reactions to foods, whereas NutriScan measures IgA and IgM antibodies on the bowel’s mucosal surface, and thus more directly correlates to symptoms of bowel (GI tract) disease. FAQs: NutriScan Diagnostic Test for Food Sensitivity & Intolerance

“NutriScan is a patented novel saliva test for canine food sensitivity and intolerance.” Home

“This test measures antibodies to certain foods in dog saliva. High antibody levels indicate that the dog has a food sensitivity and intolerance to that food or foods.”

“Food intolerance or sensitivity is actually quite common whereas food allergy is rare. In fact, food intolerance is the third most common sensitivity condition in dogs and often can be easily remedied with a change in diet. For years, though, the difficulty lay in figuring out what foods were problematic – until now. Nutri-Scan is novel and patented and is not testing for food allergies, but rather tests for food sensitivities and intolerance. These are different body immune responses. Food allergy is a more immediate reaction mediated by production of IgE and IgG antibodies. Food sensitivity and intolerance, by contrast, measures a more delayed body response to offending foods by measuring production of IgA and IgM antibodies primarily in mucosal secretions from the bowel.” Nutriscan

“In contrast to food allergies, food sensitivity and intolerance is more common and can be a long term reaction.” The NutriScan Difference

For the first time in veterinary history, pets can be diagnosed and treated for food sensitivities on an individual basis. We consider the dog’s age, breed, and size in all of our diagnostic technology. Not all dogs are metabolically and genetically alike and our technology provides for individualized care.” http://nutriscan.org/images/stories/Press_Release_Nutrigenomics.pdf

Nutri-Scan-vs-Food Elimination Trials: NutriScan vs. Food Elimination Trials

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Is your vet talking about environmental (atopy) or food allergies? Nikki is my second GSD with allergies and both received allergy injections (not steroids) with great results.

From what Nikki's dermatologist told me there are still no reliable tests for food sensitivities available. I am attaching some links from Dr. Lewis, a wonderful dermatologist that treated my Heidi for five years. Hope that helps a little :)

The Allergy Testing Debate-Serology vs. Intradermal | Dermatology for Animals

Food Allergy | Dermatology for Animals

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
envormental Not food that was solved a long time ago for me thank good

My dog did have food issues but i solved it with pro/pre boitics and changing foods, the stools are great, look better than most other dogs in general.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is your vet talking about environmental (atopy) or food allergies? Nikki is my second GSD with allergies and both received allergy injections (not steroids) with great results.

From what Nikki's dermatologist told me there are still no reliable tests for food sensitivities available. I am attaching some links from Dr. Lewis, a wonderful dermatologist that treated my Heidi for five years. Hope that helps a little :)

The Allergy Testing Debate-Serology vs. Intradermal | Dermatology for Animals

Food Allergy | Dermatology for Animals

yeah he did the skin test for atopy

I am only talking atopy here

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
environmental allergies, I'm not sure it matters. There is some success with blood allergy testing via blood, I've had very good luck using spectrum labs to help determine food allergies. allergy mapVeterinarians | Veterinarians

Food sensitivities, which Dodds tests for, can be a problem, but, I don't believe her when she says that food allergies are rare. I'm 3 for 3 here, in dogs I've run the blood allergy test on, and each time it's helped me a lot. Most vets don't put a lot of stock in the blood allergy test for food allergies, though some do (it was an old vet that wanted me to run the test the first time).

Dodds' test won't pick up actual food allergies, and a food allergy test won't pick up the sensitivities that Dodds' test will, they each look for different things. http://intestinalbarriertest.com/pdf/Why-Test-For-Food-Antibodies_Vojdani.pdf

Allergy shots do *not* contain steroids, and actually work a bit holistically, administering a bit of the allergen to build the body's resistance. The problem is the preservative in the allergy shot. BUT, if you have a highly allergic dog, they might be a good option.

·
Registered
504 Posts
environmental allergies, I'm not sure it matters. There is some success with blood allergy testing via blood, I've had very good luck using spectrum labs to help determine food allergies. allergy mapVeterinarians | Veterinarians

Food sensitivities, which Dodds tests for, can be a problem, but, I don't believe her when she says that food allergies are rare. I'm 3 for 3 here, in dogs I've run the blood allergy test on, and each time it's helped me a lot. Most vets don't put a lot of stock in the blood allergy test for food allergies, though some do (it was an old vet that wanted me to run the test the.
That's because they don't work. Ask any vet derm this question.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts