German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, guys.
I have a problem and I need a little help.
My 3 years old GSD has a skin problem that started about 3 weeks ago. His all skin is itching, his wrists are red and he has some little red spots on the chest.
He is eating only Advance Hypoallergenic Food with rabbit and peas since July 2019.
Do you have any ideas about what can I do for him?
Thank you,
Bogdana

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Hi Bogdana and WELCOME! :)

For a natural approach:

You can rub on Organic Coconut Oil: It has Anti-bacterial and Anti-fungal properties.
The Coconut Oil should be: Extra Virgin, Unrefined, Certified Organic, Non GMO, Hexane free.

Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar IF SORES ARE NOT OPENED.
You can get this from a health food store or some grocery stores now carry it. Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties which can help with itching. You will know it is organic because you will see “The Mother” (brown material, which contains the medicinal properties) floating around in the bottle. It can be used internally (to aide in digestion) and externally (for itching). Make a 50/50 mix of the Organic ACV with purified water (not city tap water) and pour into clean squirt bottle our just use cotton to apply. Rub into affected areas.

·
Registered
32,556 Posts
Take him to a vet. Acute itching could be a reaction to something that could turn into a skin infection. If he's on an atopic food then he apparently has had skin issues in the past?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Take him to a vet. Acute itching could be a reaction to something that could turn into a skin infection. If he's on an atopic food then he apparently has had skin issues in the past?
Hello, Jax08 and thanks for your answer.
Yes, he has had skin issues in the past, we took him to the vet (we tried at different vets) several times but we did not find a cause. We tried different types of food, from raw to usually dog food, but about 3 times a year the same problem appears.

·
Registered
32,556 Posts
Hello, Jax08 and thanks for your answer.
Yes, he has had skin issues in the past, we took him to the vet (we tried at different vets) several times but we did not find a cause. We tried different types of food, from raw to usually dog food, but about 3 times a year the same problem appears.
Have you tested him for allergies? Food allergies are far less common than environmental allergies.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
If it's available in your country, I would bathe the dog with an antimicrobial shampoo with 4% chlorhexidine, like this one:
or this:

Only use this kind of shampoo from the shoulders down (below the neck, as it must never come in contact with the face/eyes). In the U.S., this kind of medicated shampoo is used by veterinarians and sold in clinics, but it's available without a prescription. I think Douxo is an international brand made in France, so it may be easier to find.

You can use this weekly without drying out the coat. If there's a bacterial issue, it will help you clear it up cheaply and quickly if you repeat these medicated baths. An international, blue-ribbon panel of veterinary dermatologists recommended bathing as the first line of intervention with itching of unknown cause -- it removes contact allergens, and if you use antimicrobial shampoo, reduces staph and other bacteria that can cause itching.

You might not even have an allergy -- not all itching is allergies. You might have staph or some other problem. Usually vets can diagnose those with skin scraping tests (where they scrape the skin with a razor, and then look at the skin cells under a microscope). If your vets don't offer that, then I would just bathe the dog and see if it helps. If it does, keep bathing weekly. If you look at the reviews on Amazon, you'll see this technique helps a lot of dogs!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts