German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had 5 gsd in the last forty years my latest one gia is female spayed started having skin issues I have taken here to several vets had skin test said was bacterial put her on antibiotics and special shampoo I have tryed every thing from changing food all kinds of shampoos if I have here on antibiotics four weeks at a time she gets better but when she is off it goes down hill itchy loses hair I give here vitamins fish oil have tryed evert shampoo and different rinses nothing seems to help like I said I have had her to at least 5 vets and this has been going on for almost 3 years I have changed food with no results please I have tryed almost everything if you can help please let me know she will be 6 in June this is my 5th gsd never had this issue with any of my other ones she also is is itchy and loses hair !!! Please if anyone can help me help her please lmk I would appreciate any help I don't want her to suffer!

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
First things first, your description of the vetting history suggests that you have a recurrent/chronic bacterial infection going on (staph, I'm guessing). That often happens secondary to an allergy (staph likes to set up house in inflamed skin--so an "allergy dog" that's been scratching, with red irritated skin, is very likely to pick up a secondary infection). It has to be dealt with before the dog can get better -- treating the allergies while there's a raging staph infection will just end up with a dog with colonized staph. So you might need to think of this in two ways -- figure out the allergy trigger, and remove it, and treat the bacterial infection aggressively.

It's time for an appointment with a vet dermatologist, in my opinion. They specialize in problems like this and will be able to figure out how to get a handle on it. You'll save money in the long run by not spinning your wheels at different vets who aren't helping. Here's a directory of them:

Springtime brings out the itchies for many dogs. Environmental allergies are WAY more likely than food allergies, so you're likely barking up the wrong tree with food changes. Grass allergies seem to be emerging as surprisingly common in this breed -- it didn't used to be much of a thing, but it's now really becoming a thing for a lot of dogs. Given all your food changes, try to think about whether you've got something in your yard that she's possibly allergic to -- does she get better in winter when there's snow? Allergy testing at a vet dermatologist would tell you the answer to what it is.

While you try to figure it out, try to wipe her down when she comes in from outside (I'd use a chlorhex soaked pad, but even the Nature's Miracle dog wipes would help) -- especially her paws.

How often are you using that special shampoo? The antimicrobial shampoos are not one-and-done -- they knock the bacteria down, but they need to be used often (they won't dry out the coat--they are not like regular dog shampoo). I've been told by vets who are great with skin issues to wash as often as 2x week (usually for 2 weeks), then 1 x week (usually for at least a month, but maybe longer). That frequency is what allows you to stay ahead of the staph. You can re-up on the shampoo on Amazon for half what the vet charges (I look for 4% chlorhexadine shampoo -- brand doesn't matter to me but Triz-Chlor and Douxo are both good ones). Follow the bottle instructions exactly, letting it sit on the dog for 5-10 minutes, and only shampoo from the shoulders down -- NEVER the head because this stuff CANNOT get in the eyes, EVER.

Since you've already done one round of oral antibiotics, my experience has been that one short round often isn't enough. I've lost track of the number of dogs I've known who only get better and relapse on short rounds of antibiotics for skin stuff -- my experience, and the rescue's vet's experience, has been that many dogs need long, aggressive treatment protocols to win the battle against the staph. I've had almost hairless foster dogs on oral antibiotics for a month OR LONGER, plus weekly baths for a month OR LONGER, to knock out chronic staff. It has to be dealt with pretty aggressively, once it's colonized deep in the skin -- anything less aggressive will just punch it down temporarily, and ultimately fail. To save money, you can buy a large quantity of generic abx typically used for skin with your vet's RX from a reliable site like Valleyvet.com if your dog needs to be on them a longer time.

If you've already done a long run of the usual skin antibiotics, then it's time to think about antibiotic-resistance. Resistant staph is on the rise in dogs (just like people), so sending out a sample for culture/sensitivity testing might be appropriate to discuss with your vet.

Once the infection is dealt with there are some very effective anti-itch vet meds now that can help with the allergy component of this -- Apoquel and Cytopoint.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Just curious here, but have you tried commercially prepared BALANCED.....RAW food instead of kibble?
Such as:
Bravo: Discover Balance Raw Diet | Beef Frozen Raw Dog Food Diet - Bravo Pet Food Find a store: Find a Bravo Retailer - Bravo Pet Food NOTE Feeding Guide Tab on the page.

Northwest Naturals: http://nwnwordpress1.nw-naturals.net/wp/beef-ingredients/ Find a store: Store Locator

Primal: https://primalpetfoods.com/pages/canine-choose-your-primal Find a store: Primal Pet Foods: Store Locator Pronto is smaller pieces: Raw Frozen Feline Venison Formula NOTE: After filling in the questions, use the reference for POUNDS or CUPS (this is Raw Food) in the feeding calculator: Store Locator

Stella & Chewys: Venison Blend Frozen Raw Dinner Patties - Stella & Chewy's Pet Food NOTE Feeding Calculator on right side of page. Stella & Chewy is HPP

Have you tried any of the dehydrated Limited Ingredients or Base Mix products from The Honest Kitchen? https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/dog-food/meals

1 - 3 of 3 Posts