German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon!

I am having a bit of a problem with my 3 year old girl.

She's been on the blue buffalo wilderness dry kibble diet since she was 4 months old. I never had an issue with her eating before, but since our move 3 months ago, she's developed some odd behaviors.
She stopped eating for a good 2 weeks... in order to get some nutrients in her I was giving her chicken heats/livers/feet, salmon, and lamb. All fresh from my local butcher/ seafood market.
After she gained her appetite we switched her to a different dry food. It was one from Rachael Ray's dog food brand. She ate it for about a week and then went back to not eating at all... I don't blame her, the food smelled horrid.
Soon after she started the new kibble I started to notice she was scratching more than normal, so I simply assumed it was fleas. She was given her normal Advantix treatment and I put it in the back burner... until I noticed some loss of hair.

Background to the condition:

2 months ago:
Dog went in heat.
She was in her crate longer than usual and was also put on doggy diapers for the first time.
I mentioned to the vet during her check up that the hair on top of her nose and a small area in her leg were thinning.. I could clearly see it. He told me it was from her being in her crate. Since she was in fact in the crate longer than usual during that time frame, I accepted this explanation.

2 weeks ago:
Dog had vaginal discharge, vet concluded an infection (no lab work, just from a regular exam) and prescribed Clavamox 375mg every 12 hours for 2 weeks.

3 days ago:
The small thinning on her leg has turned into multiple hard surfaces, some of them bleeding from her literally trying to chew on it! I called the vet and they now say it's stress.

I've cleaned the calluses with peroxide and apply baby lotion multiple times a day. I was going to purchase Elbow Butter, but I'm still researching how effective it is.

It's quite concerning since she's obviously irritable and there's not much I can do. Before our move she spent most of her day outside in a fenced in yard. Now she's an indoor dog and has taken to laying on the floor in whatever room I'm in. For me the floor is quite fluffy, but not as much as her bed.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
For the diet, I would suggest since you did for a time have her on what is basicaly a raw diet, to go back to that but there are prepackaged raw diets (there is a forum section on raw diets as I do not feed raw) and see if that helps. For the skin issues and the chewing on her legs, my Sting had something like that . It started with a small sore, which he licked, and chewed, and it got so the sores were all up his legs. My vet said the same as yours. What I did was to get some anti chew spray with tea tree oil like this one: https://amazon.com/Anti-Chew-Bitter-Spray-Dogs-soothe/dp/B01D268212? and also some Vetericyn. I sprayed the sores with Vetericyn then the anti-chew spray. Also whenever I saw him chewing on his legs, I woiuld redirect by making a sound to get his attention and then giving him his bear toy with coconut oil on it which he loved, so gradually the sores cleared up. I also would suggest for the calluses that you get a fake sheepskin dog bed like this Orthopedic Pet Bed which I got for Sting. It is lightweight and you could carry it from room to room so your dog doesn't have to lie on the floor. Last, since she is now spending her time indoors instead of being outside, to increase the walks - more frequest short walks will get her some fresh air. If possible in your new home, to fence in the backyard or provide her with a kennel so she can have her outdoor time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the recommendations! I really appreciate it.
I am unable to fence in the yard at my current location, but it is a temporary post. The closest dog park to my place that has designated areas for large/ small dogs is about an hour away and since I am not familiar with the town, I'm not risking taking her out unleashed. I guess the transition has been stressful for both of us. Regarding the walks, that is exactly what I am doing, shorter more frequent walks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts