German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This popped up in the last week on my 7 year old babe - he’s itching to an extent, nothing like fleas but sporadic. We just took a trip up to my family’s where he ate some different food for 5 days. Any help on what this could be & holistic remedies if you have a suggestion!

note: I will be taking him to the vet, but it’s Sunday and I’d like to hear from here also. Thank you!

·
Registered
6,197 Posts
It kind of looks like the staph I've seen in dogs sometimes. The belly/genital area is a really common place for dogs to pick it up. I would ask your vet to scrape it and look at it under the microscope -- there could be multiple things going on (yeast, etc.).

If I'm right about the staph, then I would ask the vet if it's early enough to treat it topically, especially if you prefer to avoid antibiotics (which I'm guessing from the request for "holistic" -- and frankly, with staph, even progressive evidence-based vets now often prefer to avoid oral abx unless they send out a sample for culture/sensitivity because making resistant staph is such a serious problem). To treat it topically, I have used veterinary chlorhexidene shampoo from the shoulders down (following bottle directions), every week for at least a month -- even after it starts getting better, I keep it up to be sure it's gone. There's also a chlorhex mouse that some have good luck with in between baths -- that would be a fine addition too. Douxo is an excellent reputable brand -- you can find it on Chewy, Amazon, etc. Vetericyn also advertises that it's effective against staph, so spraying that on a few times a day might help too in between baths.

HOWEVER, starting any of this topical treatment today will screw up the skin scrape tomorrow by knocking down the bacteria load....so I would not do that until you talk to the vet -- just keep it all in mind to talk about with the vet tomorrow.

If you catch it early and are diligent, good topical care can help avoid the need for oral antibtiotics. OTOH, chlorhex is not holistic (and neither is Vetericyn, for that matter), but it's hospital-grade disinfection for staph to keep it from tracking all over your home too. FWIW, there are things I'll use "natural" remedies for, but I'd be very reluctant to use woo or products lacking good evidence of effectiveness on staph because staph tends to get partially knocked back and then come back way more aggressively with half-measures (and it can be zoonotic...so...).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts