German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start skijoring with Shenzi once the snow hits. Does anyone have any tips on how to start?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have no idea how you would go about that -- maybe look for a craftsman/company that provides the equipment, and see if they can point you in the right direction? A quick google search may also turn up some sort of message board/club listing.

I've never considered it -- more of a downhill skier, myself -- but it sounds awesome! If you give it a try, definitely keep us updated!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have looked up companies in my area that sell the equipment but I would most likely have it shipped, and the closest club to me seems to be ottawa, which is like VERY FAR. lol. Apparently the GTA doesn't get enough snow for business' to stock the equipment, or offer lessons.
I'm pretty sure I could teach Shenzi the commands without help, but it would be nice to have a couple people with me so I don't look silly yelling 'ON BY' and it doesnt help I'm a newfie...o dear!! :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
It definitely seems like something fun to do with a club, but maybe if you started not on snow (or was that the plan all along?) you may be able to work up on your own? Seems like a great way to get some exercise while exerting the dog even more than yourself! And imagine the responsiveness you could develop with your dog!

I did a little looking myself, and found "canicross," which seems like a dry-ground version of skijoring that skijorers use in the off-season to stay in shape. Looks like a good starting point. Canicross

Maybe you can find a nice secluded trail somewhere and give it a go? You and your buddy can be newfs together, and no one would have to know! ;)

·
Registered
4,389 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, the idea was to start with cani-cross before the snow hit and switch to skiis slowly. I would like to get the skijoring gear because it would be nice to start with equipment that would be the same so everytime she's on a particular harness it doesnt become 'the pulling game' I use a harness to backtie her and play/train with her so the standard harness wouldnt work. I don't want to confuse the poor girl! This is why I want an 'x harness' it would fit on her differently and she would know the difference. I've already started working shenzi on left/right commands, she already knows stop and go,(great game to play!) but this is all just with leash. Would be great to get my hands on a harness for myself and her and get to real work, but the groundwork is going great!

I would like to add that I believe groundwork is important for everything. It keeps expectations relatively low and conditions the body for new movement. Slow and steady frequently wins the race, after all! (ok, maybe not. But slow and steady training frequently works best...:p)

Thanks for all the replies everyone I'm running late and G2G will try to be back and answer more later..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts