German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I have a 3 month old GSD pup and shes great with other dogs always wants to play with them. The only thing I'm truly having an issue with is her skiddish/fearfulness towards any new people that isnt part of her pack, which consists of me, my sister, and my sisters dog. We are constantly taking her to parks, petsmart, walks, anything we can take her with us to but it just doesnt seem like shes getting used to people in general. Other than this fearfulness she has of people shes an amazing dog. Very intelligent, very energetic and just an all around awesome pup. Is this normal for most pups her age or are we doing something wrong? We have never physically punished her during any kind of training (though with her sharp puppy teeth i sometimes want to tear my own hair out lol). The breeder we got her from kept her sister and he says her sister is the complete opposite of my dog ( whose name is Nova btw). Has anyone else had this issue? And how did you help them be more social? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :) i also want to add she has been like this since we first got her when she was about 7-8 weeks old.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Hmmm...I am sure some more people will chime in. But, have you tried asking strangers to give her a treat? Don't force her to meet anyone, but maybe meet a calm friend (stranger to her) and ask them to sit on a bench or something at the park. I would start by calmly walking by the person, then talk to the person while she stands next to you (ignoring behavior), then walk away. The walk up, talk, and see if the person can give her a treat. See if she'll accept the treat, and move on.

As for any barking, growling, avoidance, etc on walks, I would work on the "look" command. Then when she sees strangers and starts displaying unwanted behavior, give her the "look" command and treat. Keep doing this until you are past the threat. hth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tried giving people treats to give to her and she'll take them from them but then she backs away. She never really growls at anyone outside of our home but if someone new comes into the house she will growl and bark at them. Though that is the most she will do she.has never snapped or tried to bite anyone, though im afraid if i dont do something now she might bite someone later on when shes older. When we're out on walks if someone is walking towards us she'll stop and try to turn around and run away even if theyre walking past us at a distance. Though i will try your suggestion and see if maybe that will help her. Thank you for your suggestion. :)

·
Registered
831 Posts
Our APBT puppy is this way we have been having strangers just completely ignore her unless she approaches then they just drop the treat at their feet and that is it. That way she gets the reward for moving towards them. Maybe on the walk have her sit and treat as the strangers go by?

·
Registered
171 Posts
My pup is scared of people, shadows, everything really. We try to distract him and so far it works. I took him to my neighbor today and he was acting all puppy crazy- running, hiding, jumping and kept darting at her. Finally she pet him and he was all droopy- loved it- but was hyper after as well. I guess it's a start. Most people avoid us - scared of him! He does look intimidating. Oh well- he is good with family and friends.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts