German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after a debate and looking at puppies from our two's mother, the Breeder and I have come to the conclusion that Lucky and Gemini have 'happy tails' or 'gay tails'. It doesn't bother us at all. We find it adorable!

But what does bother us is the fact that the two are...small. They're not long like they should be, and neither weight what should probably be expected at 8 weeks. They're more square shaped than rectangle shaped, to use an analogy. Is this normal? Will they grow longer?

The tip of their nose almost reaches the tip of their paws, laying down and spread out.

We're worried their development is hindered or something. We do have a vet visit set up, but it's not for a bit.

So...is this normal? Can someone share pictures if they had this same problem? Thank you guys so much!

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Adorable pups!

I hope this question does not upset you, not my intention. They look like GSD mixes. Have you seen the parents? I don't think there's anything wrong with their structure when taking that into consideration. My apologies if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! And you're not upsetting me :). I have seen both mommy and daddy, and pictures of their distinctive markings in pictures with mommy while they were young(Demanded them when we talked to them in the beginning). I figured they were mixes too, but mommy wasn't suppose to be bred that time, as she had just had a litter. And daddy was a bad match for her genetics, as well.

Of course, there is a possibility that their mixed, because the daddy they said sired them wasn't the real daddy. But the only other male dogs they have on the property are Alaskan Malamutes and Siberian Huskies. Their personal dogs.

So my question is, even if they weren't full GSD's, wouldn't they still be bigger, if daddy was a Malamute, or a Husky?

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Ah ha, interesting they have huskies that could explain the tail held high, also the ears. Again, very cute.

Size? I'm not sure. My boy was 10 pounds at 8 weeks & was a good weight. All are different, he had littermates that were bigger than he was.

Feed a healthy diet & keep them at a good weight. That would be my focus.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The healthiest we can give! They're adorable, not too sure of their current weight yet, but we'll find that out soon.

I can post pictures of mommy and daddy, as well.

And the tails, after looking around this site and else where on the internet, don't seem to be a product of a mix, or could be just a simple genetics defect. The tail only curls that much when they're super excited, after that, it lays flat, with just barely a hook at the end.

I've seen quite a few pure's on here, after looking at other threads, with the same things. So the tails don't bother me much(either way, adorable as all get out!), but of course, it doesn't rule out the fact that they might be mixes.

Thanks for your guys' opinions, I really appreciate them!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
So my question is, even if they weren't full GSD's, wouldn't they still be bigger, if daddy was a Malamute, or a Husky?
if the father was a husky, which very well could be, they would potentially be smaller, some huskies are in the range of 35-40 pounds and in general they are a bit smaller than gsds :)

These are super cute puppies though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Being less weight isn't a problem, it's just that at 8 weeks, they're so small. Haven't weighed them yet, and don't have a personal one, so we can't do that. Picking up a dumbbell that's five pounds feels heavier than they do, and it's worrying me quite a bit.

They're healthy eaters, and even have a bit of a pudgy belly, so we're not under feeding them(at least I hope not! Fed my Saint Bernards the same way I am them), but they really are starting to worry me.

Thanks for your posting, guys! I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
sounds like a bit of a mess
"I figured they were mixes too, but mommy wasn't suppose to be bred that time, as she had just had a litter. And daddy was a bad match for her genetics, as well.

Of course, there is a possibility that their mixed, because the daddy they said sired them wasn't the real daddy. But the only other male dogs they have on the property are Alaskan Malamutes and Siberian Huskies. Their personal dogs.

So my question is, even if they weren't full GSD's, wouldn't they still be bigger, if daddy was a Malamute, or a Husky? "

sorry sounds like a BYB . Litter should not be registered without doing a DNA to determine which of the males is the sire .
All pups go out as pets with non breeding. Why was dad a bad match in genetics -- was there some indication of things gone wrong with the first litter.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is a bit of a mess, isn't it? Haha. Our breeder offered to trade the puppies in, but we've already fallen in love, and don't want to get rid of them. So, through thick or thin, we're keepin' 'em!

And they were sold to us only as pets--we have the papers and everything, and could show them or breed them, but they have 'gay tails' or 'happy tails', which shows that Daddy's and Mommy's genetics shouldn't have been mixed. Whether it was a GSD or a Malamute/husky that was daddy.

And our breeder is the main/most used breeder for GSD's in my area. They say the only male that was near her during her heat was the daddy they showed us, and we're inclined to believe them. They say mommy and daddy weight around 50 lbs, so that might explain the small weight.

Maybe a more Americanized line?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
How much did they weigh when you took them to the vet?

And those males in the picture definitely weigh more than 50 pounds. Breeder does not sound at all trustworthy! Just because they are popular does not mean they are a good breeder!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts