German Shepherds Forum banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
MAWL,
I’ll go back to the KNPV XMals. They have some of the best working dogs around. The variability in type can be significant. Some look like pit bulls to some extent. Some are very large because they are used for police dogs and they want a strong, powerful dog and some of those lines have been outcrossed to other breeds to bring in those traits. Plus, the training can be brutal which washes out all but the strongest dogs. None of those factors have anything to do with a standard. Physical standards limit the gene pool and consequently, working ability. Many people like GSDs because of their looks. The standard has very little to do with a dog’s ability to work. When the breed was strictly a herding dog, that might have been more true but the trait of genetic obedience still trumped structure.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
on my last backpacking trip i came across a lady carrying her dog off the mountain...all 4 feet bandaged. i can’t recall exactly but i think the dog was a larger pointer or Weim. anyway, she was still about 6 or 7 miles out and at the end of her trip as far as supplies. as if my mind weren’t already made up, that solidified my preference for a lighter dog. you can’t guarantee these things but i’ll be stacking cards for sure! or shopping for Heelers with MAWL.
It was all I could do to lift Rogan to get his weight on the scale last week; guess I'm living on the edge lol

If I was worried about carting him out of some place, I wouldn't get a GSD of any weight. Maybe a Staffie.

·
Registered
31,970 Posts
Is it not Falk? I could have sworn you said you might avoid him. I could be wrong.
Lol no. Falk is no where in her pedigree. She is Kinski/Lennox.

Falk is in my Male's pedigree and he has horrid allergies. I think when breeding on Falk it should be considered. But he also brings biddability and a super fun edge. So I wouldn't avoid him. But I wouldn't want s linebreeding on him either.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Think of it like this. Spud Web was 5’7”, played in the NBA and won a slam dunk contest. Wilt Chamberlain was7’ tall and scored 100 points in a single basketball game. It is about talent not size. You could get into other sports and make the opposite argument.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Think of it like this. Spud Web was 5’7”, played in the NBA and won a slam dunk contest. Wilt Chamberlain was7’ tall and scored 100 points in a single basketball game. It is about talent not size. You could get into other sports and make the opposite argument.
Yup but who is generally considered the greatest basketball player of all time?
Michael Jordan 6'6 220 pounds
or
Lebron James
6'8 250 pounds
Next, back in the day, Kareem was 7'2 225

All out of breed standard .... :)

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Darn, I missed all the excitement. I have an undersized female. People assume she’s a mix because of her size but she looks all GSD and I’m considering getting a DNA test to prove them wrong. My last male was huge. She was literally half his size. From experience, I can say smaller is easier and stacked up together pros and cons, better.

·
Super Moderator
32,394 Posts
Halo, our smallest female, typically weighed between 53 and 55 pounds. Keefer, our only male, was 80 pounds. Guess who was more intimidating? Hint: Halo, by a mile. No contest. It was all about the attitude, not body mass. She might have been at a disadvantage hitting a decoy with her smaller size, but that's not my sport so I don't care about that. Alone in a dark alley, she'd have absolutely been my first choice of companion.

Simply for agility and athleticism, I prefer GSDs on the lower end of the standard as well. I would have loved another 55 pound or less female, but Cava checked off all my other (and more important) "must have" boxes so I was willing to compromise on that one. As it turns out, at almost 3 she's about 58 pounds so it wasn't really an issue. Her sister is a good 15 pounds more than she is, so she's the smallest of her litter by far. She can turn on a dime, her body and rear end awareness is phenomenal, and she is FAST.

·
Registered
196 Posts
For a pet, size really doesn't matter. I rescued a 6 month old puppy (my Covid puppy!) and he is now a year old and is over 90 pounds and still filling out. I would have much preferred a 75-80 pound GSD but I love him and am obviously keeping him. However, I guess if your dog has a specific purpose, size my matter. For agility, smaller might be faster? For protection, maybe larger is better? Mostly though I just want my dogs to be healthy and happy.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
For a pet, size really doesn't matter. I rescued a 6 month old puppy (my Covid puppy!) and he is now a year old and is over 90 pounds and still filling out. I would have much preferred a 75-80 pound GSD but I love him and am obviously keeping him. However, I guess if your dog has a specific purpose, size my matter. For agility, smaller might be faster? For protection, maybe larger is better? Mostly though I just want my dogs to be healthy and happy.
For agility, smaller definitely is faster/better. That's why the best are (almost) always Border Collies, those boys fly and love to work. Not the best sit around the house pets tho

·
Super Moderator
32,394 Posts
I don't do the sport of agility, I need a fast, agile dog for flyball. BCs are big in flyball too, but BC/Whippet mixes are even bigger these days. Whippets are faster than BCs, but don't tend to have as high a level of trainability, and are usually much less interested in balls and tugs.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Size is only one factor and what the dog is going to be used for is relevant. As strictly a pet it is a non issue unless you have to pick the dog up to take him to the vet or are a smaller or weaker person, handling the dog could be an issue. If a dog is oversized and very agile with a very well developed pelvic muscle mass, the dog should be fine. The standard was originally based on conformation that was ideal for GSDs herding sheep all day. Over time, it became increasingly bastardized into what would win conformation shows based on say American vs. Euro show lines. For police dogs, sometimes they have to lift dogs over fences and other obstacles and a more medium size dog facilitates that effort. Some have argued that Mals who are on the small side cannot apprehend an ex con who is massive from lifting weights in prison and on Meth. It is more complex the more variables you consider. I did not seek or expect my dog to be so large. His sire and dam were 85 and 75 pounds respectively. He was the most aggressive feeder and I look for good food drive in a pup, but it is his genetics that gave him his size. I believe very early in the development of the breed it was the Wurtenburg lines that were used to add size and they were described as “phlegmatic” or lacking in drive and energy. I would not want an oversized GSD like that.

·
Super Moderator
4,200 Posts
Weight can also vary greatly depending on food, exercise and living conditions.

48 pounds

65 pounds

84 pounds

·
Registered
207 Posts
I agree with you OP. I feel like the whole big dog thing is just about using them as an object. Something to brag about. I don’t know. Anyone worth their salt knows temperament is whats important. A 60lb fearless confident gsd will kick the pants off a 120lb wimpy gsd any day. And that’s a fact

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
I agree with you OP. I feel like the whole big dog thing is just about using them as an object. Something to brag about. I don’t know. Anyone worth their salt knows temperament is whats important. A 60lb fearless confident gsd will kick the pants off a 120lb wimpy gsd any day. And that’s a fact
Yes and when I say "GSD" people I mean the sort who buy the dog without knowing anything about the breed they are going for the look of the dog alone for status,
Its astonishing how many people here in the uk who think the breed is skittish and nervy and who don't even know what colour there own dog is classed as like when tell people my guy is pattern sable and my girl is standard sable they look at me like I'm insane I do try to educate about the GSD temperament ect but it often goes over their head.

·
Banned
292 Posts
Yes and when I say "GSD" people I mean the sort who buy the dog without knowing anything about the breed they are going for the look of the dog alone for status,
Its astonishing how many people here in the uk who think the breed is skittish and nervy and who don't even know what colour there own dog is classed as like when tell people my guy is pattern sable and my girl is standard sable they look at me like I'm insane I do try to educate about the GSD temperament ect but it often goes over their head.
I got told by so many people here that GSDs are either vicious or they're nervous, unhealthy dogs that keep biting other dogs at the dog park and children. "That's why we got a dog specifically bred on temperament."

"Oh, aye!?"

One of those guys purposefully got the most timid pup he could find to build up the confidence for hunting.

A few people have had their opinions changed a lot because of Ray. 💕

I think GSDs tend to attract certain people. Driven, active thinkers that want to learn and research themselves and this comes out in the breed of dog they want - and they've researched the ins and outs. And I feel like we tend to leave less to chance.

It still boggles me to see how little many people care about details or learning new things. 😂

And I know those same people look at me and are like man that fella needs to chill (REMOVED BY MODERATOR) and not worry so much.

Carpe diem

EDITED TO REMOVE SWEARING ACRONYM

DAVID
MOD TEAM

81 - 98 of 98 Posts