German Shepherds Forum banner

61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
31,970 Posts
As for actual dog size, there is two camps here. One that values oversized dogs, and one that doesn’t have a preference as long as they can work.
I don't agree. I care about the size just as much as if they can work. I admire any dog that works well regardless of size but I very much care about the standard. It just happened that my female is on the smaller end of it, possibly coming from a dog she is linebred on (5-5) who is known for throwing smaller dogs. Her mother is on the larger end of the standard.

The standard was made for a reason. To keep the working breed able to work. I've never read the AKC standard. As far as I'm concerned the only standard that matters is the one written and maintained by the Germans.

Now, to the OP's point - I adore my upper end standard male as much as my lower end standard female and I lost a bit of my soul when my totally out of standard female died 3 yrs ago.

No armchair internet standard quarterback can change that. 😉 facts is facts.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Let me put it to you like this. I want the best working dog, whether 45 lbs or 110. You want a 100 lb dog that can work. If you don’t see the fundamental difference, I don’t know what to tell you.
Goes against everything I have ever written on this site in 10 years but you do you. Oversized is 90#

But do you have a problem for some reason with either GSD owner? Seems like it.

·
Registered
31,970 Posts
\
You yourself said 51# and slightly smaller (in b/w above) and I corrected my quote of 49 (which seems to fall in slightly smaller than 51 anyway so no matter)

MAWL said "49# and slightly smaller is just as much standard as 88# and slightly heavier"

This is not an argument, why do you feel someone has to win?
Lol. That's right. I said 51. I never said 49.

MAWL was responding to your repeated statement of 49 or smaller.

I don't feel anyone needs to win. I was just curious who was winning the argument you were having with yourself. Its amusing.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Lol. That's right. I said 51. I never said 49.

MAWL was responding to your repeated statement of 49 or smaller.

I don't feel anyone needs to win. I was just curious who was winning the argument you were having with yourself. Its amusing.
Good night. Keep being you, amuse away ....

·
Registered
31,970 Posts
@Bearshandler

Here's an oversized dog that can work.
It was soooo miserably hot that weekend.

·
Registered
7,387 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
just happened that my female is on the smaller end of it, possibly coming from a dog she is linebred on (5-5) who is known for throwing smaller dogs. Her mother is on the larger end of the standard.
I thought you were going to avoid that guy, because of allergies.

·
Super Moderator
8,136 Posts
on my last backpacking trip i came across a lady carrying her dog off the mountain...all 4 feet bandaged. i can’t recall exactly but i think the dog was a larger pointer or Weim. anyway, she was still about 6 or 7 miles out and at the end of her trip as far as supplies. as if my mind weren’t already made up, that solidified my preference for a lighter dog. you can’t guarantee these things but i’ll be stacking cards for sure! or shopping for Heelers with MAWL.

61 - 80 of 98 Posts