German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering why some people are so obsessed with the size of there puppy/dogs and I'm not talking about the people who have genuine concerns about there pups growing correctly I'm talking about people going out buying a GSD expecting/wanting a huge beast of a dog like 120lb plus,
if you want a huge dog go and get a giant breed,

GSD are supposed to be a medium breed dog,
I come across people all the time especially other "GSD" people and it's always about size never the important thing's like temperament and health

Even on this forum I've seen a lot of threads pop up recently about how to make the puppy grow faster or get bigger, heavier or the size the pup will be as an adult or if a current problem of some kind will affect size and that's all they seem to care about is the size.

Bottom line you dog will be the size it will be..

bigger or smaller it's all about genetics,
if you truly wanted a GSD because you love the breed for what it is then enjoy your pup for who they are and don't sweat the small stuff because no amount of worrying, Hoping or wanting is going to change your dog's size..

as long as your pup is happy and healthy that's all that should matter and if it's not then maybe take a look at you pup/dog and remember you are that little soul's whole world and they for sure don't care about your size 馃榿

All dogs are beautiful and deserve the best life no matter what size they are.

I'll stop now...sorry for the rant 馃槄

Registered
I admit I would have welcomed it if my boy had turned out larger, but healthy was always the chief objective. 78lbs. is his lean mean fighting weight. Proud owners of indiscriminately bred black and tan dogs always have a lot to say about his small size and "rare" color. Peeves me that folks who own and love the breed don't KNOW the breed.

Registered
Of course you're entirely correct and the number of people concerned their 8 or 10 week old puppy is too small and how to make them bigger is a bit bizarre. To put this politically correct, you also have to look at the country where the owner is posting from. ....but ....

AKC: The desired height for males at the top of the highest point of the shoulder blade is 24 to 26 inches; and for bitches, 22 to 24 inches. The German Shepherd Dog is longer than tall, with the most desirable proportion as 10 to 8陆.

*there is no breed standard for weight but that's what everyone talks about

CKC: The ideal height for dogs is 25 inches (64 cm), and for bitches, 23 inches (58 cm) at the shoulder. This height is established by taking a perpendicular line from the top of the shoulder blade to the ground with the coat parted or so pushed down that this measurement will show the only actual height of the frame or structure of the dog. The working value of dogs above or below the indicated height is proportionately lessened, although variations of an inch (3 cm) above or below the ideal height are acceptable, while greater variations must be considered as faults. Weights of dogs of desirable size in proper flesh and condition average between 75 and 88 lb. (34 and 39 kg); and of bitches, between 60 and 70 lb. (27 and 32 kg).

The reality is that many buyers are looking for a certain presence and stature from a GSD and hope their dogs will eventually land in the upper range of breed standard, so 70-75 for bitches and 85-90 for dogs. That's why you see so many breeders advertising "big" or "heavy boned". Few breed for smaller dogs, even in standard, on purpose.

I'm all for health and temperament first but some people act as if that's only available in smaller dogs. All things being equal and although I don't necessarily try to find them bigger, give me a healthy, athletic, dominant 75 pound bitch or 90 pound male all day long. And I don't think people should be made to feel like they are prioritizing big dogs at the expense of health or the breed as it sometimes feels around here. Again, I get what you mean about so many of the puppy threads.

60 pound dogs are awesome and agile and athletic and theoretically healthier and longer lasting. Just not what everyone desires. I have never seen an ad stating, "these dogs will be on the smaller side for GSD" ever.

PS, I know they're often described as such, but I don't consider a 80-85 (in breed standard) pound male GSD to be a medium sized dog. They are a large breed and anything ranging above 90-100-120 XL and then giant breeds. Labs are smaller than GSD and I still consider them a large breed. jmo

Registered
I'll just add that I have never heard anyone say "how do I make my dog bigger, I don't care about their health" ....

Registered
I admit I would have welcomed it if my boy had turned out larger, but healthy was always the chief objective. 78lbs. is his lean mean fighting weight. Proud owners of indiscriminately bred black and tan dogs always have a lot to say about his small size and "rare" color. Peeves me that folks who own and love the breed don't KNOW the breed.
How old is your boy, he has a handsome head

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent reply WNDG and you definitely gave me food for thought, I guess it just got me a bit upset how some people can only see the size of the dog and not look past that...and don't get me wrong nothing bad about either end of the scale on size or if you prefer bigger or smaller it's when someone looks for size alone and nothing else.

Reactions: WNGD

Registered
There鈥檚 a bigger is better mentality. If you saw a 120 pound dog and a 70 pound one, you鈥檇 probably say the bigger one was more intimidating, would win a fight, would be a better man stopper and so on. I do think larger size in dogs leads to poorer health. I can鈥檛 sight you breed specific evidence because I can鈥檛 be bothered to look. I can tell you that as breeds get larger their health and life expectancy goes down. You like what you like at the end of the day, but I鈥檓 against breeders breeding for size. You can only prioritize so many things in your breedings. Every time something moves up, something else moves down. If your breeding for size, I can guarantee your accepting less somewhere else. It鈥檚 the same with color, structure, drive, temperament and anything else you think of.

Registered
I don鈥檛 know, although I have had two unusually tall German Shepherds. A female who was at least 25鈥 at the shoulder and a male rescue that was 28鈥 so my 24鈥 male now seems small, as have my other dogs.

Registered
I was happy with Duke when we adopted him - a 90lb, 2 year old male. A year later all we have left is the male part. He was much younger than 2 and has continued to grow, both is weight and height. I would have preferred a dog that actually fit across the doorway, or across the hallway, or under my feet but he doesn't. He has also grown in width and is on diet dog food. He's just LARGE. Sweet, dumb and LARGE. He has a back end that Kim Kardashian would covet. If you dog isn't the size you wanted, so what? He's you dog and that's what matters. The dog is what the dog is.

Registered
here鈥檚 a bigger is better mentality. If you saw a 120 pound dog and a 70 pound one, you鈥檇 probably say the bigger one was more intimidating, would win a fight, would be a better man stopper and so on.

h
ahaha, Duke would have to sit on anyone to intimidate them. He's a big cuddly fur ball.

Registered
Maybe it's just me, I haven't noticed this too much with GSD owners - aside from the "I have a King Shepherd, he's way better than yours" on some walks in my area.. lol My guy is lean, I like him that way. He is healthy and eats well, but why have him carry extra weight that isn't natural for his frame. He has finally grown out of whatever phase he went through that caused people to ask about my Malinois lol

My previous dog was a Cane Corso - there are two distinctive types of owners that I've encountered around this breed. People who love the breed for what it is - one of the smaller and more athletic mastiffs - , and people who don't think your dog is worth anything if it's less than 150-160lbs. I didn't understand the logic then, or now...

No matter the breed, there will be discrepancies.. meet the parents of a litter, for the most part they will be very telling of what you will have as a full grown dog down the road. If you buy off the internet, sight unseen, with little to no research... guess what - your very expensive mini pot bellied pig might be full size down the road (or your alaskan klee kai might be a full grown husky in 6 months).

Genetics are genetics, you can't force them to be different with a new meal plan - you can only force a dog to carry weight it's frame wasn't designed to carry.

Registered
I don鈥檛 know, although I have had two unusually tall German Shepherds. A female who was at least 25鈥 at the shoulder and a male rescue that was 28鈥 so my 24鈥 male now seems small, as have my other dogs.
Harley is exactly 25" at the withers, maybe a touch more and 75-80 pounds.
I'm often asked (or told) that he's small for a German Shepherd by those who are so used to seeing larger GSD bred in NA. He's the smallest of all males and females I have ever had and yet exactly breed standard. He's also awesome and super athletic ....

Registered
I was happy with Duke when we adopted him - a 90lb, 2 year old male. A year later all we have left is the male part. He was much younger than 2 and has continued to grow, both is weight and height. I would have preferred a dog that actually fit across the doorway, or across the hallway, or under my feet but he doesn't. He has also grown in width and is on diet dog food. He's just LARGE. Sweet, dumb and LARGE. He has a back end that Kim Kardashian would covet. If you dog isn't the size you wanted, so what? He's you dog and that's what matters. The dog is what the dog is.
Have we ever seen a picture of Duke? Where does he land at today, you say he's over weight?

Registered
I've an oversized dog, and I would have been happier if he'd remained in the breed standard. I spend more on medication, food, and larger accessories. I can't carry him in a medical emergency, and he takes up the back seat of the car. I love him though, my big, beautiful, smooshy wooshy cuddle bunny.

Super Moderator
@WNGD
Size/weight per FCI

Male dogs:
Height at the withers: 60 cm to 65 cm
Weight: 30 kg to 40 kg
Female dogs:
Height at the withers: 55 cm to 60 cm
Weight: 22 kg to 32 kg

if anyone cares to do the conversions, it puts the female low end at 49lbs and the male high end at 88lbs.

Registered
How old is your boy, he has a handsome head
3.5 now. Time for a new headshot. Someday, when I catch him sitting still in good lighting.

Registered
I agree with most responses, but: For me in Australia, SIZE MATTERS.... Why is that here out on the Frontier so to speak, there are wild dogs and dingoes. If my Shepherd is a big one, like my last two males sort of 2-3 inches taller than standard, they were never challenged. Out on the horse property, they would bound down the hill barking and we would never see the wild dogs or dingoes again around our young foals or calves...

Here in town, we are older, and have a major yacht in the back yard on our dock, and electric entry gates. We have toys and trucks and 4x4s in the front, so SIZE MATTERS for intimidation to would be "bad guys". I travel a bit off the yachting season in the Outback, and it is comforting around the fire not to be out there spooky and alone. Nothing better than a big Shepherd with you.. I guess it comes down to if just a pet, GSDs are the smartest and most loving and intuitive dog there is, and as pets we love, size does not matter... But for me, my GSD has a Security job to do.. His size will put off the bad guys, so bigger the better, in his security harness out for an evening walk. And, no one is going to hop the fence to raid the vehicles or yacht IMO when a 100 lb Shepherd lives there....

If Covid roars back here in Oz, I will be living at anchor out at the islands. Nothing is better for security and anti-Piracy than a big Shepherd pacing the deck... If they scope you out during the day, there is NO WAY they are coming back in the dark to board you... (y)

kind regards, lone Ranger in Oz

Banned
I like having a bigger dog but at the same time, I worry about health outcomes.

I wouldn't let my dog lack condition just to be bigger but I really do think what one feeds their dog does have an effect on size.

Registered
I鈥檇 actually be happy if our 5 month old girl was on the small side. Even as a 5 month old friendly puppy she scares a lot of people, maybe all black is part of it. One small boy said 鈥 Mom, look it鈥檚 a wolf鈥

1 - 20 of 98 Posts