German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Female, 1/2 working line, 5.5 Months, 42lbs, 23 inches.

Sound about right for size & weight?

I am hoping for at least 70+lbs at 1 yr, think I'll get it?

·
Registered
32,001 Posts
Isn't 70 lbs at 1 year old a bit heavy for a working line female? She's also quite tall for 5 1/2 months.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Will you love your dog any less if she is only 68 lbs at one year?

Why is everyone so concerned with how tall their dog is and how much they weigh? Weight is proportional to not only the height, but the body structure of the dog. There are a ton of factors that are involved. If you want to know if your dog is a healthy weight, you should post some photos from the side, front, and top. You should be able to lightly feel, but not see, ribs. Some people are ok with the last couple of ribs showing (especially on a growing pup, they can be very lanky and gangly) and some prefer no ribs to show. That's your preference. I'm ok with the last rib or two showing if the dog is being well fed and exercised.

JMHO

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know about the rib check and she is perfect in that regard. She is not overweight by any means.

Just wondering what I could expect. Thats all. No agenda here and not possible to post photos from iPhone.

Thanks for the replies so far.

·
Registered
32,001 Posts
My female is 24 1/2" tall and about 62 lbs when she's lean. At 70 lbs, she's a bit of a porker. don't know if that will give you any idea on how big she could get. I think she was about 40 lbs at 6 months.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a better idea of what I was looking for, THANKS!

I guess I was a bit off wanting 70+. I will be happy at around 65 then.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
125 Posts
At five months exactly, my Lexi was 42 lbs.

Here's a pic of her at 6 months and 50 lbs.

She is 8 1/2 months right now and holding steady at 67 lbs. I'd say there's a very good chance she (and possibly yours) will get to 70. Oh, and Lexi doesn't look fat at all. It's hard to believe just looking at her that she actually weighs that much!

This is Lexi at exactly 8 months and 67 lbs.

See! I don't think she looks fat. :)

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Lexi, love you last pic! haha

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Looove the pics Lexi!
As with children, pups don't all develop at the same rate. I know you are curious -- but don't worry about it!

·
Registered
32,001 Posts
But Lexi and Kato are the BOMB!!! :wub:

At five months exactly, my Lexi was 42 lbs.

Here's a pic of her at 6 months and 50 lbs.

She is 8 1/2 months right now and holding steady at 67 lbs. I'd say there's a very good chance she (and possibly yours) will get to 70. Oh, and Lexi doesn't look fat at all. It's hard to believe just looking at her that she actually weighs that much!

This is Lexi at exactly 8 months and 67 lbs.

See! I don't think she looks fat. :)

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Gilda was 58 lbs at 5.5 months but she is german showline. She was 73 lbs at at year and not porker at all. She's 18 months now and a svelt 75 lbs.

·
Registered
125 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys.

My Son's fem GSD is named Lexi also!

They live in Canada but both will be visiting to N Texas early next year.

·
Registered
803 Posts
i have a 7 month old almost 8 months in a week or so, from working czech and german lines. right around 50-55 lbs. not a big girl. the vet says she might mature to 70 lbs. but he also said that she hasn't hit her growth spurt and might grow slowly over time. not quite sure how to post pics on here but i have an album of her.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds good, thanks for that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts