German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn’t know he was six weeks until I brought him home, the seller lied to me. It doesn’t matter if he is full blooded now I’m wondering if he really is. I plan on taking him to the vet next week to get shots and make sure he is healthy. He didn’t come with any papers.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,187 Posts
To be a nit picker - the term you want is "purebred" --- we hope all dogs are full blooded. And he looks PB to me but puppies are hard. 6 weeks isn't terribly early. 7 weeks is good and so is the more traditional 8 weeks.

Cute tyke at any rate.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The second pic just about confirms it in my opinion. Cute pup! Just be sure to enjoy the days when they're that young...they seem to disappear almost over night.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I have seen the term full blooded being used improperly by reading some of the posts today I haven’t really thought about that until now. Makes sense.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I think six weeks is the BARE minimum a pup can be brought home. Just be sure to work on bite inhibition early on. Cute pup!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
You can have an Embark test done if you want to be sure about his breed, and it'll also tell you a lot about his health and any genetic conditions he carries or is clear for. To me, he doesn't look like a full GSD, but I'm not an expert by any means. Have the test done if you want to know for sure, and love that cute guy anyway!

·
Registered
712 Posts
We all knew what you meant by saying full blooded, no big deal! I say both terms.

What’s the little guys name? He looks like he may be GSD but sometimes it’s hard to tell with young puppies. He’s adorable no matter what! I brought home my GSD Doberman mix boy at four weeks old, it’s not advisable but is doable if the situation calls for it. He is now 90 lbs of muscle and sweetness!

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
It may not matter to you if you have a mixed breed but breed matters. Depending on what he might be mixed with, you will see different traits and behaviors. If the test acccurately shows his genetics, then you will have a better idea of what you might expect. The first picture looks like a mix. The others don’t as much.

·
Registered
225 Posts
One of my GSD's came home with me at 6 weeks. The biggest issue I noticed was he didn't seem to understand how to interact with other dogs or animals. He seemed baffled in some situations and in others (to me) it looked like he offended other animals by behaving improperly. If that makes any sense.

Your pup looks purebred to me. I'm sure when he gets bigger it will be easier to tell. Enjoy him and he's adorable.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
One of my GSD's came home with me at 6 weeks. The biggest issue I noticed was he didn't seem to understand how to interact with other dogs or animals. He seemed baffled in some situations and in others (to me) it looked like he offended other animals by behaving improperly. If that makes any sense.

Your pup looks purebred to me. I'm sure when he gets bigger it will be easier to tell. Enjoy him and he's adorable.
Dogs are meant to interact with littermates. Singletons or dogs who leave the litter too early, need early interaction with other dogs.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Is that a rash on his chest? It looks like he's scratching in the one photo - could he possibly have fleas?

Cute pup, and yes, could well be purebred.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts