German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little guy turns 6 months old in about a week and a half. He seems to be hitting about the size he should be based on weight but I'm not sure about height. He's my first GSD so I'm not exactly experienced with sizes though. He muzzle/head is the only thing that looks a bit small to me. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Good looking dog, but a bit overweight! It's so much better for a young dog to be lean, for their joints both now and later. IMHO what you want to see is a pronounced taper after the rib cage before the hips/hind quarters, a good tuck in their waist, and at least the first 2-3 ribs visible from the side. My puppy continued to grow in height until about 10 months, but they vary a lot. But I'd guess at 6 months he's got more growing to do!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good looking dog, but a bit overweight! It's so much better for a young dog to be lean, for their joints both now and later. IMHO what you want to see is a pronounced taper after the rib cage before the hips/hind quarters, a good tuck in their waist, and at least the first 2-3 ribs visible from the side. My puppy continued to grow in height until about 10 months, but they vary a lot. But I'd guess at 6 months he's got more growing to do!
I saw on the growth chart I keep finding posted everywhere that he should be 57lbs at 6 months old and he's only about 54 now. If he's overweight is there an ideal weight for his current age?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Pictures while feeding or drinking distort. I would still say he is a bit over weight. You want to see a cut up in the waste. Feel the ribs you want see them all at least when exerting themselves. Don't go by charts go by activity and look. What are you feeding? If kibble you can start with a 1/4 reduction if your dog is active you should see a quick change. Use kibble in training.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Yeah, ditch the chart and just look at your dog! Check out pictures others have shared of their puppies on this forum as a gauge. Many people think that a well conditioned dog is too thin...but it's so much better for the dog in the long run!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everyone here told me to go by the size chart in my first few threads....I guess I'll start just letting him do his thing. I went by the charts because I know very little about the size of shepherds except for the few I see in person at the park. He gets two walks a day and spends literally anywhere from 3-6 hours a day zipping through the backyard and wrestling with my Siberian Husky.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts