German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my puppy is 10-11 weeks and i was curious when i take her outside even for a short walk, she does this thing where she will just sit and not want to move even if i tug a little. its like she takes a break and then goes a couple of feet and then sits again.

what is that a sign of? and never wants to walk fast or run outside. but inside the house shes super fast and doing laps in the house!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
I have not the slightest idea why she would be acting that way. Where her breeder was at was she even in grass, maybe she is scared of anywhere but inside. Just guessing.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Engage her! Bring toys and treats and get her excited to come to you. Run backwards while calling her to you. Reward her with a marker word and feed her when she comes to you.
She needs to associate the leash with good things, and will get use to it if you keep her engaged. Don't expect too much, she is just a baby and learning every second right now.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I would say lure her with treats and toys. She is still such a baby she needs encouragement to take those steps. Lot's of praise when she does move toward the offered goodies.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I hate leashes with puppies. Always a mess for with with either me pulling the pup along or them pulling me. Around my neighborhood my puppy tends to want to stay near the house.

Why I put my pups in the car and mostly do the offleash thing for exercise. And have most the poops/pees during the day just around the yard....

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
I've always just put a 15 lead on them, and walked away. They follow. They don't like being left behind

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I agree with you MRL! I trained Karlo at home with no leash at all(he did use one at training) his recall was/is excellent because he knows the leash is no big deal. Many dogs when unhooked take off because they feel so "free"! Best to get a pup use to that freedom early on, they'll stick by their person out of choice at such a young age.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I agree with you MRL! I trained Karlo at home with no leash at all(he did use one at training) his recall was/is excellent because he knows the leash is no big deal. Many dogs when unhooked take off because they feel so "free"! Best to get a pup use to that freedom early on, they'll stick by their person out of choice at such a young age.
man I wish I had Dodger as a puppy :(

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
my puppy is 10-11 weeks and i was curious when i take her outside even for a short walk, she does this thing where she will just sit and not want to move even if i tug a little. its like she takes a break and then goes a couple of feet and then sits again.

what is that a sign of? and never wants to walk fast or run outside. but inside the house shes super fast and doing laps in the house!
At this age there is a lot to look at and soak in so she may very well just be trying to figure out her new world. I wouldn't worry about it at this point and keep taking her to new places.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I would pop the leash on her in the house for a little while every now and then to. She's comfortable inside and there is a lot to take in outside and adding the leash to the mix is just one more added new thing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmm il definatly try the off leash training and yes when i put my hand down she gets up and walks to me as if i have a treat, most of the time i do. but ive been training her to sit, and extended sit and lay down. so i think she might just be doing the sit too often to get a treat lol. but yes grass could be a major issue since its snowed there hasnt been any grass :(

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I would pop the leash on her in the house for a little while every now and then to. She's comfortable inside and there is a lot to take in outside and adding the leash to the mix is just one more added new thing.
I would NOT pop the leash on a baby puppy!! There are other ways to get pup to get use to one, and this will just relate the leash to a negative association.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I would NOT pop the leash on a baby puppy!! There are other ways to get pup to get use to one, and this will just relate the leash to a negative association.
I think she meant "pop the leash on in the house" as in quickly putting it on now and then. . . not delivering an actual leash pop. Kinda like "I'll just pop this roast in the oven" or "I'm gonna pop over next door."

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Oh, I read the word pop the leash and the training in me takes over...sorry :blush:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
as i suspected. after training her to sit and stay and lay down.. she enjoys the treats too much.. so she sits and i simulated giving her a treat and she will get up and start walking again. smart lil monster!

As of yesterday she likes to run outside. shes incredibly fast and athletic, loves bursting through small little bushes and making her own like courses.

and her new kong ball/ string shes inlove with she has a great "bite"

i cant beleive how amazing she is.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
as i suspected. after training her to sit and stay and lay down.. she enjoys the treats too much.. so she sits and i simulated giving her a treat and she will get up and start walking again. smart lil monster!

As of yesterday she likes to run outside. shes incredibly fast and athletic, loves bursting through small little bushes and making her own like courses.

and her new kong ball/ string shes inlove with she has a great "bite"

i cant beleive how amazing she is.
That is a smart puppy! I did train my pups off lead as many of the other posters mentioned.When they were little they didn't want me too far away. Or you can use a longer lead so that the pup can't run the other way.

·
Registered
475 Posts
LOL Onyxgirl even I got a shock when reading back threw the first line of my post, I knew it looked bad, oops bad choice of words. Ha ha ha ha DEFIANTLY DO NOT "POP" correct a pup I meant pop the leash on (as Emoore explained :) thank- you)

Practice with the leash in the house, let her drag it around, gently lead her and treat her in a place (house) where she is comfortable and there are less distractions, use outside time to do a lot of exploring and desensitizing of her outside surroundings. If you can lots of off leash follow the leader out side, get her used to the leash slowly.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Try driving your dog to a spot away from your house and then walk. My dog still does not like to walk far away from home, but is happy to go to new places.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts