German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I havent gotten anything done at wotk today since ive been sitting here worried about my pup sitting at home alone. I know that leaving a pup his age in a crate for anything more the 4 hours is unacceptable so I pushed his crate intothe opening of our small bathroom removed every thing that could be chewed, eaten, or cause harm, left the crate door open and put his toys (safe ones) in it for him to sleep / play with. Now for my reasoning. 1) I know and understand that a pup cannot hold its movements for as long as an older dog so i wanted him to have the opportunity to do it out side of the cage rather than him do it inside the crate and feel like it is an OK behavior. 2) i removed every thing from the bathroom not only for safety but to have his crate be a more favorable place to sleep rather than on the clod marbel floor.

please tell me i did the best thing and if not tell me how you would have done it
p.s. i know that the best thing to do would be take time off of work but that is not an option.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
You did the right thing. :)

The one thing I would be concerned about is, can he climb over the crate and out of the bathroom? I would only worry about him getting out of the bathroom where he can get into trouble chewing/eating things.

Is it going to be a regular occurrance for you to be gone at work and unable to let him out for potty breaks? I know a breeder (Golden Retrievers) that "litter trains" her dogs. (Note: do NOT use regular cat litter, this can impact in the gut if the puppy eats it). What she does is locks the puppy in a secure, uncarpeted room (like a bathroom) and leaves a crate and litterbox in there with them. That way, they're given a place to potty other than just randomly on the floor. Giving them a spot to go inside the house can be confusing and can lengthen potty training time, but it can work as a last resort.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
what about using an x-pen instead of the bathroom? put a tarp down with puppy pee pads under the x-pen in case of accidents, put his crate in the x-pen that way he can move around without you worrying that he'll chew something and harm himself.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I use my kitchen. I puppy proof best that I can. I raised 3 this way it worked for us. I always set papers down, believe it or not most times she did nothing. I never had a problem with her getting confused because papers were down. I think she has a bladder made of steel. By the time she was 3 or 4 months she held it for the 8 or so hours. I try to get the dogs out every morning before work so they get thier ya ya's out. Some dogs are more destructive than others. My lastest, Lakota, leans to the destructive side, I don't know if she will ever earn trust to be free all day. I can leave her free at night and while we are home. She's a thief and loves to take anything that isn't nailed down.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
as for getting over the crate no he cant its one of those full size crates with the divider and as for the frequincy of him being like this its only 3 days a week when my wife has to work

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
This was not a good choice. Not only is your puppy going to learn it's ok to potty in the house, but he can destroy the bathroom if he's so inclined.

If you can't go home to potty him, find a dog walker or a neighbor child that can come over and do it. I had three neighbor girls to help with my puppy from 8 weeks to 7 months.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
He should be just fine. :)

If you do put something down (paper, litter box, etc.) just make sure the material you use isn't something like puppy pads... because those are made to swell/expand when they come in contact with liquid... which means if puppy eats them, they might end up blocking him up.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
he is paper trained but only uses it as a back up if i have my head up my rear end and dont get him out in time but he gets my attention 99% of the time and goes out side so I could put the "pe-pe pads" in there but i was afraid of him eating it

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I would use regular newspaper rather than pee pee pads... not as much danger if he eats it up. More of a mess, true, but still something to sort of contain the pee.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I know it can be somewhat costly, but can you get a petsitter to come in? Or can you take the pup to doggy day care a couple days a week?

·
Registered
97 Posts
You could do the webcam thing and put it on ustream. Then if your wife has access to internet she can check in on him as well. David's able to watch it on his droid.

This probably won't make you feel better, but did you check the water supply to the comode? If the puppy could chew through the lines (the plastic ones?) that could be a real mess. A friend of ours kept their GSD in their bathroom until she did that. What really sucked was that they were in an apartment.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
hire a sitter or find a friend, neighbor,
family member or teenager/young adult
to come and give your pup a break a few
times while you're away. before i bought
my pup i went to my neighbors and told them
i was buying a pup and i could use their help.
my neighbors were find with helping out and
they helped a lot. my dog is 3.5 yrs old. one
of our neighbors still comes in to feed, treat,
potty break and spend time with our dog if
we're going to away for an extended period of time.
sometimes my neighbor takes our dog to her house
to let him hang out.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Doggie daycare or a petsitter is your best choice. However, given the option you did, I did very similar. In my foyer was his full sized kennel (no divider and a playpen attached. I had puppy pads down and when I was gone, he had the whole area. This was fine and I did not have any issues with housetraining. At 4 mo, everything was taken up and he has been awesome. Now, at 7mo, I am training him to have run of the house when I am away. So far so good. He has run of the house at night with no issues.

Side note - Be aware, one day I came home Aspen was greeting me at the door. Turns out he learned to scale the kennel/playpen, which is why you can see the wood attached to the top. He still learned to escape, so I put a sheet and wood grid over the top, strapped down. He is a very smart boy!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
My pups also have to be crated for 8 hours earlier than I'd like. But I have to work or no food for the puppy!

I like the security for the puppy of using a crate, so I just use the adult sized one from the start, so if there is an accident there's plenty of room for the puppy to have a clean place to sleep.

When I get home, then we go go go. Put on my play clothes, pack up the puppy and we are off. Socialization, exercise and puppy classes.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
I attach a crate to an x-pen and put newspapers in one area of the x-pen (not in the crate). If they are not a chewer I put a blanket in the crate. I also stuff a Kong and freeze the night before. Leave a few puppy toys and that's it. I have done that with foster puppies many times.

Although the last foster puppy had coccidia so I actually kept in in my shower stall with a bed in one corner and newspaper in the other. Plenty of room left over for toys and food. He did great in there and it was so easy to clean and disinfect since I just had to pick up the newspaper then spray, scrub, rinse, bleach, rinse, squeegee, done! That worked out so amazingly perfect for me with him.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Are you in an apartment or a house ? If u r in a house with a secure yard why didn't you just leave him outside ?
I don't see where the OP said the age of the puppy, but I'm thinking it's safe to say that if they should not be comfortable leaving him home alone safe in a crate for that amount of time they wouldn't feel comfortable leaving him in the yard where he could dig, get out, or eat who knows what.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts