German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Positive! They use an electronic collar in a motivational sense, are gentle, upbeat trainers who engage the dog's interests with enthusiasm in their voice and movements, and really make a dog happy and curious to work with the handler. NICE program. Dogs trained in this method really are relaxed, upbeat, eager workers! No yanking on their necks, no harsh words, just a very low, gentle tap feeling from the e-collar. Regardless of how I felt about e-collars before, seeing a young dog introduced to this method was amazing.. dog is relaxed with no more leash, less stress of being pulled about.. no more "opposition reflex." I like seeing a dog happy and want to work.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I'm not sure if we're talking about the same "Sit means Sit" training program, but the one I'm familiar with is a franchise, which means that each training facility is only as good as the trainers who work there.

Our local Sit means Sit trainers had a demo at a dog event here recently and I can honestly say that the way they were using the e-collar left me less than impressed, and I would not recommend them (the local franchise) to the average Joe looking to get into obedience with their dogs.

I'm sure experience varies with other Sit means Sit locations. I have to also add, I've seen some Sit means Sit training videos on YouTube that just made me cringe. Some were like Patti said, very positive and leaving the dog wanting to work. Others ... not so much.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes,Chris, it's a franchise program. The name Ryan McGuire is the trainer near me for the Sit Means Sit program.

For the K9 Coach San Diego the trainer is Jt Clough & Carla Weed.

Ring a bell to anyone? Just want some feelers out before I call and talk to anyone with questions.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
I personally know Fred Hassen the owner of Sit Means Sit, and know many of his past students and a few of his trainers. Feel free to PM me for more information.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The local frachisee did a demo with their proprietary e-collar. My impression was their method is very heavily based on 'avoidance'.

I wouldn't use it on any of my dogs. However, there is an out of control black lab down the street I may suggest (<evil grin>).

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I'm not a fan of Fred's method of using the E-collar. The E-collar is a wonderful tool when used correctly.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Look Up Robin McFarland. She took Fred's methods and "gentled" them

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know if E Collar is actually something I should try with my first GSD. I am now shifting gears and looking more toward a prong collar.

Does that get incorporated in basic training or obedience classes or is that something I would use on my own? If they are something taught to be used, what type class would I be looking for?

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
You would want to discuss with whatever trainer you decide upon. The feelings range from one extreme to another. There are trainers who wouldn't use a prong and others who insist upon it. And then there are those who will try various collars and ideas to find what would work best for you and your dog.

Here is a link from the leerburg site on how to fit a prong collar.

How to fit a prong collar.

I use a prong with Kayla in certain classes and situations. I also use a martingale or a flat collar in agility or when we are out on off leash walks. I use a choke/flat when she is in various obedience trials, though I've cut down drastically on the use of a choke collar - AKC events don't allow use of prongs on the trial grounds at all.

If you are starting with a new puppy, I would recommend that you start with a flat collar in your training. You may discover that you won't need to go to a prong at all!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I see you are in CA......Check out Lou Castle....loucastle.com

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Orrrrrrrrrrrr...you can start with a baby buckle collar and a lot of motivational training ala the Volhard method. Just introducing another school of thought.
http://www.volhard.com/ I am not sure, but would imagine if you contact them or join the Yahoo group you might be able to find that type of training in your area.

Or Karen Pryor: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=karen+pryor

There's also http://www.flyingdogpress.com and Suzanne Clothier to check into. Finding trainers who key in on relationship as well.

Having fun with your puppy and them with you makes learning so easy. Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
504 Posts
The demo I saw had the instructor doing obedience with his dog. Whe he had to tell his dog to sit 4-5 times, that was it for me. Also, what do the dogs do when the e collars come off? The program is expensive too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts