German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I rescued this magnificent animal from the local pound. I've had big dogs all my life but this is the first GSD. He's just WONDERFUL!

I've had a Breeder tell me (based on pictures) he's a long-haired, solid black, GSD. I've had strangers stop me on the street and insist he's a Belgian Shepherd or a Bohemian Shepherd.

He weighs 80 pounds and is a gentle giant. Looks like he'd never been out of the back yard, never been on a leash, had been taught no commands except "come", and hadn't been in a car with any degree of frequency. YET, it only took a few weeks for him to achieve mastery of ALL those things!

I hope there's enough info contained in these pictures. The picture of him naturally stacked was taken at the pound prior to his receiving grooming, etc.

Also, based on this limited information, would you guess he's PB or a mix?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Sirius Black, OMG, you are one georgeous dude! I too, am a Harry Potter fan! Enjoy:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, congrats on your rescue!

We also adopted a solid black long coated GSD, though we got him directly from the previous owner and also got his papers. He looks a lot like your boy. We also get asked a lot of he is a Belgian and I totally understand when you say strangers "insist"... One guy even basically said I was an idiot for thinking my dog was a GSD, lol! Beyond the vague similarities of pointy eared dog with a long black coat, I do not think my guy (nor yours) looks much like any of the Gronendaels that I've seen. But some people just know it all :p

Anyways, regardless of what he really is, he's gorgeous and sounds like a great boy. The both of you sure lucked out in finding each other!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
My breeder has a dog that looks literally exactly like him so I'm 97% sure he is purebred. My next dog will for sure be a black coatie :D

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
You made my holiday weekend!!! What a BEAUTIFUL dog! And thank you so much for giving him a home and family to call his own. He's one of the lucky ones...and you too!!! Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
He looks pure GSD to me, the Belgians have a very distinct profile, and are thinner built- I don't see that with him.

Love the name.

I have a Sirius, too, a long-coat malinois (tervuren). Nobody knows what breed he is, but those that think they do insist GSD, so it goes both ways!

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
He looks purebred to me! I have a long coat GSD as well and he gets called a Belgian by the general public a lot, just because a shepherd has a coat does not make it a Belgian. :) Belgians also have almost collie like faces. He is extremely handsome!

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
He is gorgeous!! I don't think I have ever seen a long coat black GSD. He is wonderful!! Welcome to the GSD world :D

·
Premium Member
11,244 Posts
Much too substantial to be a Groendahl.....they are much more slightly built - like a black Tuervean (sp?)......He definitely looks purebred

and an absolutely gorgeous dog as well!

Lee

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Stunning boy and certainly looks purebred :wub: Thank you for opening your home to him :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sirius Black, OMG, you are one georgeous dude! I too, am a Harry Potter fan! Enjoy:D
Thank you so much! He's SUCH a good guy, that Sirius. <3

Although, truth be told, while we were at Obedience Class tonight, he acted like I'd never practiced "stay" with him... ever. Never.

LOL!

Thanks so much for your kind words. <3

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank You!

You made my holiday weekend!!! What a BEAUTIFUL dog! And thank you so much for giving him a home and family to call his own. He's one of the lucky ones...and you too!!! Enjoy!!!
How kind of you to say!!! He's just a magnificent dog.

When I found him at the pound, I had to wait five days for an owner to claim him. I searched every lost and found I could find from San Francisco to Modesto because I KNEW someone had to be heart broken about this dog and I wanted to help get him back to them. I couldn't BELIEVE it that no one turned up!

He'd had no training and what a shame. He's SO smart and learns SO quickly. He would have been a magnificent dog for his original owners if they'd put the least bit of time in on him.

Thanks for your kindness! <3

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looked up "solid black tervuren" - BEAUTIFUL!

He looks pure GSD to me, the Belgians have a very distinct profile, and are thinner built- I don't see that with him.

Love the name.

I have a Sirius, too, a long-coat malinois (tervuren). Nobody knows what breed he is, but those that think they do insist GSD, so it goes both ways!
Wow! I just looked up images for "solid black tervuren" and WOW, what a beautiful dog! Congrats on having one AND on your choice of names. LOL!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If your dog is the picture associated with your name... BEAUTIFUL!

He looks purebred to me! I have a long coat GSD as well and he gets called a Belgian by the general public a lot, just because a shepherd has a coat does not make it a Belgian. :) Belgians also have almost collie like faces. He is extremely handsome!
Thanks for the "handsome" comment. He hasn't yet figured it out that he IS, but we're working on that!

Your baby, if it's the picture associated with your account, is BEAUTIFUL, as well!

What a great place to see SO MANY amazing GSDs!!!! Wow.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's Our Pleasure!

Stunning boy and certainly looks purebred :wub: Thank you for opening your home to him :)
He's great with our three siamese rescues, as well! It's hilarious though because when he stands up on his hind legs, he can reach the top of their 6' cat tower and stick his nose in their upper most condo.

I see YOUR list, so the thanks are headed right back at you! <3

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Groendaels are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Much too substantial to be a Groendahl.....they are much more slightly built - like a black Tuervean (sp?)......He definitely looks purebred

and an absolutely gorgeous dog as well!

Lee
Wow! I never knew about some of the fabulous dogs that are being mentioned here. I looked up the Groendaels and WOW... beautiful.

I was referred to a breeder who has a HUGE solid black, long-haired GSD that looks EXACTLY like Sirius! Uncannily so! Her dog is just... off the chain beautiful! Wow!

After seeing her dog's pictures, and the comments from all of you good folks, I'm really thinking there's a chance he's a purebred.

No clue why I'm even curious, though. We have him, we had him neutered, we love him, and hope we make him a fantastic home for the rest of his life!

Thanks for the kind words about his looks! <3

1 - 20 of 33 Posts