German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to order 2 of the singletrak packs from ruffwear for Stark and Zefra. I had one of them but I have no clue where it went. I think I left it at my Dad's place last summer and he can't find it either... so...

Stark will be able to utilize his now obviously and Zeffie will have to wait but I still want her to wear one to get use to the feel of it on her while we hike.

I like them wearing them in the winter time, especially Stark because then they can carry their own water and poop bags plus it tires Stark out a bit more.. ;)

They went up in price a lot since I last ordered one, and I was hoping if someone could point out where I can get them cheaper.

I really like the sleek look and tight fit to the body that the singletraks provide, so I would like to keep with these packs (or a similar style from another company but I want it to be of good material/make because we use them year round).

Singletrak Pack?

Thanks everyone!

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
They have open box deals which is where I got our GSD's pack, but not sure if they have this particular one. They are basically, returns.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Dang those are nice looking packs. I wouldn't mind the Approach, if I had a dog that could carry it. And I do love the look of the Webmaster Harness.

I guess I'm lucky I work on a strict budget. I am such a collar/leash/harness freak.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Try gear4dogs.com who are based out of Vancouver, BC. Backcountry K9 has deals sometimes but they no longer ship to Canada.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try gear4dogs.com who are based out of Vancouver, BC. Backcountry K9 has deals sometimes but they no longer ship to Canada.
They are the same price (I think a dollar cheaper) as ordering from Ruffwear. :(

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Wait for them to go on sale at places like REI--I think they were on sale there recently. You might want to double check. If you become an REI member, about 4 times a year you get 20% off an item. It's just a one-time fee and you accure dividends.

·
Registered
340 Posts
REI is an American company, so once you include shipping, the price might even out to be the same even after the discount.

The Singletrak Pack is a relatively new item and probably won't go on sale too much unless there is a redesign and a store is trying to clear their inventory.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
That is a nice pack!

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
I have a coupon code for non - sale items.

Also save 15% off a single regular priced item with coupon code 8326HFXS
One per customer. Excludes sale items and Granite Gear. Ends with sale, 9/5/2011.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Can those who has the Singletraks comment on how you like or don't like it? I'm thinking of getting it with with REI's 20% coupon that just came out.

My dog is 10 months, 58lbs, 27 inch in girth. Should I get small or medium? Not sure if she'll get much bigger and I don't want to buy it twice. She gained about 2 lbs in the last month. I don't know if she's done growing yet... she won't tell me.

I also thought about the Approach. Are there people with both that can share experience or thoughts about which is better for what? It's so hard to make a decision when you've more than one option you like.

This is just for day hikes but when she's old enough, I want her to carry my stuff. Haha.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I absolutely LOVE my singletrak pack. I purchased one for my youngest as well.

HIGHLY recommend. :)

·
Registered
885 Posts
Can those who has the Singletraks comment on how you like or don't like it? I'm thinking of getting it with with REI's 20% coupon that just came out.

My dog is 10 months, 58lbs, 27 inch in girth. Should I get small or medium? Not sure if she'll get much bigger and I don't want to buy it twice. She gained about 2 lbs in the last month. I don't know if she's done growing yet... she won't tell me.

I also thought about the Approach. Are there people with both that can share experience or thoughts about which is better for what? It's so hard to make a decision when you've more than one option you like.

This is just for day hikes but when she's old enough, I want her to carry my stuff. Haha.
I have one and love it. Unlike some of the other, bigger packs, these pouches do not hang around their legs and impede walking. My dog carries all my snacks, her own water and my keys for me.

She is 60lbs at 2.5 years and I got her the medium which fits ideally (so not at the smallest nor biggest option, right in the middle).

·
Super Moderator
32,040 Posts
I have an Approach pack for Halo and a Palisades pack for Keefer, and they are both VERY nice. The Approach will carry quite a bit more than the Singletrak will, and it's also less expensive, so it just depends on what you're looking for.

My dogs mostly carry water in their packs, and the Singletrak only holds a 1/2 liter in each side. It doesn't look like there's a whole lot of room left over for anything else. I can put 3 or 4 times as much in the Approach and Palisades packs - I usually bring a 1 liter bottle for each of us, a collapsible water bowl, and a few other things, but I can put an extra 1/2 liter or 1 liter bottle in each side if it's a particularly warm day or we're going on a longer hike, and I still have room for the other stuff.

Here's Halo in her pack:

And Keefer in his:

It's hard to say how much more your girl will grow since she's still pretty young. Halo is about 60 pounds and has a girth of 28", and the small fits her perfectly. Keefer is 80 pounds and has a girth of 33", he wears a medium.

The advantage of the smaller size if your dog is between sizes is not all that excess strapping, and the bags are slightly smaller too. Unless you plan to do multi-day backpacking trips, you probably won't need the larger bags, and Ruffwear actually recommends the smaller size.

·
Registered
995 Posts
It's hard to say how much more your girl will grow since she's still pretty young. Halo is about 60 pounds and has a girth of 28", and the small fits her perfectly. Keefer is 80 pounds and has a girth of 33", he wears a medium.

The advantage of the smaller size if your dog is between sizes is not all that excess strapping, and the bags are slightly smaller too. Unless you plan to do multi-day backpacking trips, you probably won't need the larger bags, and Ruffwear actually recommends the smaller size.
Thanks for that thought. I just got the medium in case my dog gets bigger but I really doubt she will since she's small boned. I appreciate what you said about the excess strapping, didn't think of that. The Singletrak sizes are different from Approach and Palisades. The small is up to 28 and medium is from 28 and my dog is at 27 but if I were to get the Approach the small will be perfect as she won't be on the borderline.

Thanks!

·
Registered
990 Posts
I just ordered 2 of them from Backcountry.com

they were $89.95 each plus post but that was cheaper than buying them here in Australia. i go them within 4 days with was fantastic.

They are a tiny pack but fit really snug :) The straps were really hard to adjust but once that's done they are fine :)

Has anyone had their dog go "swimming" with one of those packs on?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Thanks for that thought. I just got the medium in case my dog gets bigger but I really doubt she will since she's small boned. I appreciate what you said about the excess strapping, didn't think of that. The Singletrak sizes are different from Approach and Palisades. The small is up to 28 and medium is from 28 and my dog is at 27 but if I were to get the Approach the small will be perfect as she won't be on the borderline.

Thanks!
Normally if a dog fits two sizes in dog packs I suggest going for the smaller size, but with the Singletrak being so streamlined the Medium should probably work fine.

In general though I recommend people to try the Ruffwear products on their dogs before they buy them, because the sizes that should work according to the size charts don't always end up fitting right when you actually try them on. So it's always helpful to try the products on and see what seems to fit the dog best, before you buy it if you can find a store in your area that carries their products (you don't have to ultimately buy from that store, just try the stuff on.)

For example the Ruffwear raincoat my GSD has is an XL, even though according to their size chart she should wear a Medium. We tried them on in the store and the Medium didn't even come close to covering to the end of her back, neither did the Large, and the XL fit her fine in the other areas (we just had to tighten the straps) although if she was a male it might not work out due to the belly coverage.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts