German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I've been reading ALOT about singleton pups. Jaxon is for sure a singleton, but we see none of the issues (yet), that people say singleton's have.

He's kind of a normal dog. He really pines for our attention, and he loves cuddling with his mama (my gf), lol, and he LIVES, just LIVES to play tug and ball with dad (me). Very social with other dogs. Very, Very social with any kind of people. Stranger or not. Provided we are out in public, or they are already in our house and "Dad approved". He never barks with hackles unless he is guarding his front yard practicing his protection skills. haha.

He's THE most sticky velcro dog that I've ever had, ever. Never wants to be without us, always underfoot, or between my legs. Only when I give him a new bone, or bully stick or something he goes off and chews it alone.

He was trained from very little at professional obedience schools, by GSD trainers. Always been fed well. Treated well. Crate training since day 1.

Something strange that he does, really intrigues us.

He really, really, really wants to be friends with our kitties. They live upstairs, with a gate in the middle of the stairs. He will go and stand in front of the gate and wait for the kitties to come down. He does not bark. He will stand there for hours just giving them this "Please guys, I'm not a bad guy" look. Kitties will yell and hiss, and swat at him through the gate, and he won't do ANYTHING to them. No barking, no growling, just sits there and looks at them confused as to why they don't want to be his friend.

EDIT:: The gate on the stairs behind him in this pic is where he will stand forever trying to make friends with kitties.

Minus his adolescence, and what comes with that, the guy is a perfect dog so far. Am I missing something?

Is it possible that the breeder tossed him in with another litter during that very crucial first stages as newborn and 1-6 weeks?

Is it possible that since we have no children yet, that he's getting what he needs and will be normal?

So many questions after reading horror stories of singleton pups online.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I take it your kitties want no part of him? My house is small so everyone must live together peacefully.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah, kitties are not having it. Not one bit. They were already 2 when we got him as an 8 week old. They had run of the house. We tried our best to introduce them the way the pros recommend, it just wasn't happening. The kitties watched him grow and grow and they just wanted him to leave from day 1. LOL. They are pretty vicious sometimes. I will try to get some video the next time they have a "Gate Off". It's kinda like a face off, just with a gate in the middle. Jaxon will sit there like a punching bag and take swat after swat, and literally do nothing. Kitties get frustrated that he won't fight back. I mean really, who wants to be in a fight where the other guy just wants to hug you? It's no fun. Haha.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe one of th mods has experience with singletons?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts