German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Concerning a non-GSD. Dog had C section two days ago; all pups dead but one strong pup. She is considering fostering a few orphaned pups to avoid the singleton issues. Besides contacting the local kennel club and vets' offices what are other resources? Craigslist will probably be ruled out unless the orphans are vet checked and healthy.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Eww that will be a tough one. They usually come with mammas. My dog Ruger came from an abandoned litter that had to be bottle fed but he was at the shelter until released to a rescue at 8 weeks. They would need to step into luck like that. If I were your friend I would put an alert out to local AC as they are usually the first called. Even then with any abandoned littler craigslist or not I would think disease would be a concern.

Would it be better to place the surviving pup with an existing newborn litter? Contact a breed specific rescue? Or even another breeder?

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eww that will be a tough one. They usually come with mammas. My dog Ruger came from an abandoned litter that had to be bottle fed but he was at the shelter until released to a rescue at 8 weeks. They would need to step into luck like that. If I were your friend I would put an alert out to local AC as they are usually the first called. Even then with any abandoned littler craigslist or not I would think disease would be a concern.

Would it be better to place the surviving pup with an existing newborn litter? Contact a breed specific rescue? Or even another breeder?
Great tips! Thanks. The surviving pup is not going anywhere; they are way to h
happy with him and will actually keep him.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Great tips! Thanks. The surviving pup is not going anywhere; they are way to h
happy with him and will actually keep him.
Aww I hope they find some littermates. Our abandoned litter was transported with no dam from Georgia to NJ with a rescue transport company. So remind her to look outside her own backyard.

·
Registered
648 Posts
How about facebook? There are orphaned/puppies surrogate pages on there. Along with local pet groups. If they can maybe just look for a few young puppies in a few weeks that need fostered, but don't necessarily need milk just for socialization? But if they're worried about mastitis in mom they can look around. Lots of puppies being born. There is a disease risk so just have to weigh pros and cons.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Thanks everyone. They decided to keep him as a singleton.
I'm sure know this, but "What The Dog Knows" is a GREAT book about a singleton puppy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts