German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ha!Ha! Don't worry I'm not wanting to use this as a dating site. All seriousness though I did want to post about being a single solo dog owner. With it brings additional joys and challenges. Even though I have family members and friends who has been involved with my dog they do not live in my home and the relationship is different. I wanted to hear about others experiences pluses and challenges about the experience. Thank you,

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I'm a single solo dog owner and I think it's easier. I don't have to worry about another family member spoiling my dog, letting him get away breaking the rules, or giving him people food and goodies that aren't good for him. I am also free within my budget to give him the best food and care without having to work it out with a partner.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yeap. Right here. I have help but not that much, my family doesn't live where I live. I'm basically the sole soul responsible for my dog, whom I've had since 7 1/2 w. So if you're out there cleaning his 'accidents' on carpets, brushing them vigorously, cleaned up with tons of wipes, having to get up early for potty everyday, wash his bowls, give him a bath, groom him, walk to the mailroom to pick up 2 dozens of canned food by yourself, buy a gigantic crate and carry it yourself, carrying groceries and fast food on one hand and your dog on the other plus he needs to pee before going in, with you still holding the ever-so-heavy groceries and sometimes some smoothies or coffee, when it's 3am and he needs to go and you're the only one who can walk him outside, plus there are times when his tail brushes over your red wine on the coffee table while you're netflixing and you can't be angry at your dog because he's the biggest sweetheart ever, when you feel bad for leaving him for 2 hours to go to the gym because you know he'd be alone, yeah. Solo dog owner. I'm here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also a single dog owner as well. For the most part it's great, but there are certainly challenges. Specifically around my dog's temperament with other dogs, I can only really rely on people he's familiar with (i.e. family) when going on vacations and they don't live close by so that's usually a few hours trip to drop him off.

But he does keep me on a pretty consistent schedule, i.e. waking up early, going for dog walks, and obviously giving me the excuse to leave parties/get togethers earlier when I'm just not feeling it. LOL

I also work a regular 9-5 that's usually about 30mins to an hour away, so I don't often get to hang out with co-workers after work for a quick drink for too long. So having job flexibility has been a big focus for me in recent years, cause time is precious and as he gets older I want to make sure I spend as much remaining time as I have. (he's currently 6 yr old now)

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Ha!Ha! Don't worry I'm not wanting to use this as a dating site. All seriousness though I did want to post about being a single solo dog owner. With it brings additional joys and challenges. Even though I have family members and friends who has been involved with my dog they do not live in my home and the relationship is different. I wanted to hear about others experiences pluses and challenges about the experience. Thank you,
Well for all intents and purposes I am a solo dog owner. Since Shadow is a wingnut it gets challenging and when I was working I had to be mindful that my 10 hr days did not go much further. Fortunately my husband rents my garage and mood permitting can usually be relied on to let her out for pee breaks. Things are further complicated by the fact that she makes poor decisions and cannot be left loose in the house. She does things like climb bookshelves and stand on the cut out ledge between the kitchen and living room. Not because she is destructive but just out of curiosity.
I am surprised that it has not been mentioned that it sometimes requires creative thinking when they get injured. Shadow gashed her leg on something in the yard and was freaking out as blood poured everywhere. I had to basically sit on her to get it wrapped and then try and drive while stopping her from thrashing around and tearing at the bandage. It was far enough down her leg that she could get at it even with the cone which also aided in disrupting my visibility. Lucky the clinic was not far.
Trying to haul dog food and crates with an injured shoulder has been a task. I had no social life when I worked because every spare second went to the dogs, lol. At one point I had multiple dogs and for about a year I averaged 2 hours of sleep a day.
The good part, since Shadow takes up 3/4 of a queen sized bed if I had a partner I'd be sleeping on the dog bed. I have no one telling me what to do with my dog and if she gets stuff muddy or furry it doesn't bother anyone but me!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Solo dog owner. I don't think it makes any difference for me. I live alone with my dog but even if I lived with family or a partner i think the fact he was MY dog would always be clear to the dog. Plus none of my family or friends would ever spoil or tolerate a misbehaving dog. I don't think I would ever be with a partner who would either. When I likely have kids I suppose it will be out of my control though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Fellow solo dog owner, checking in! For me, there are pros and cons, like anything in life:

Pros:
- My dog is MINE. I'm her favorite person, she's bonded most closely with me, and she's truly a 'mama's girl' through and through
- I decide how to raise and care for my dog - no debates about "if she should sleep in the bed", "if she should get X type of food", etc.
- We are each other's best friend - even though I have a romantic partner, because we don't live together I end up spending the majority of my time and focus on my dog

Cons:
- House work is HARD. No one to entertain the dog while I clean the house (confinement not possible at this time)...so she 'helps' me (why yes! please try to sniff exactly where I'm dusting! So convenient!)
- Running errands - need groceries after work? Too bad, gotta get home and let the dog out! Too hot to take her with me? Better get creative!
- There's a lot to train and think about - it would be nice to have another human brain to share the load with sometimes
- If I'm sick or injured, or it's snowing and -20 C, there's no one to trade off with on walks, etc.

Overall though, I love being a solo dog owner, because I love my girl. As much as I hope that my current relationship continues to go well and we eventually take the next step to co-habitation, a part of me doesn't want to "share" my dog with anyone. :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Being a solo dog owner is awesome! Tbh I am sincerely worried that I will end up fighting with others to be the favorite person if I raise a dog while living with someone else. I am childish I know, lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts