German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i don't know if my white German Shepherd is a single coated or double coated, he is 4 months old, when i part the hair with my hand i can see the skin below, but when i brush him i get this cotton like fur shown in attached images, so is this is the undercoat or not?
thanks in advance,

Attachments

·
Registered
699 Posts
Yup, looks undercoat to me as well. Just wait until he starts blowing coat, and your house will look like there was a snowstorm inside. :) I've had Leontine for over a year now, and I'm still amazed at how much she can shed. I vacuumed up enough hair from behind her crate today to make another dog. :shocked:

·
Registered
624 Posts
All GSDs sport a double coat. The long coat versions also shed but not as much.

With the stock coat version, they shed all year but moreso in the spring when they shed heavily to acquire their summer coat to stay cool. They regrow their undercoat in time for the winter. :)

Beware that among the joys of being a GSD owner is managing the shedding by furminating your dog weekly as a preventive measure. And vacuum your home as needed! :D

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
At 4 months the adult coat should start coming in soon. You will see it look tighter and different texture along his spine and tail first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts