German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else's GSD like to sing along with sirens? Sitka's always been very vocal, singing in the bath and yipping when excited, though he doesn't bark very often.

In the last 3 months he's added a new one - howling along with sirens :laugh2: Not every siren, and never if I am near him, but if he's in the yard alone and hears them in the distance, he stands up, as close as he can get to the fence, and howls along with them!

Not a complaint by the way - I find it endearing! - just curious if anyone else has a singing pup?!

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
None of mine do or have except Crios, who is a GSD/Husky mix. And he didn’t start doing until probably 5-6 months ago. It was cute in the beginning, but we live within a few blocks of one of the fire departments, so it’s multiple times a day(and night). Our backyard faces towards a busy street, so there are a lot of police sirens as well, and a couple blocks in the other direction is an airport, and oddly enough, planes landing and taking off (super crazy loud) and police sirens don’t make him howl at all, just the fire engines. And he will howl whether he is outside, or in our room at 1 in the morning. Sigh

·
Registered
543 Posts
My old GSD/Husky mix that passed away this summer used to howl back to the coyotes when his hearing was still good. It was the cutest thing. None of my other GSDs have.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I live within 10 miles as the bird flies to a nuclear power plant. They do quarterly siren tests. Three minute blast followed by a 2 minute pause repeated 2 more times. Ziva sings along every time.
She will howl with firetruck siren's if they are close. But not police or ambulance.
We also live in the flight path of an airport. The military also uses said airport for training. When they fly in low for touch and go training she actually looks up at the planes and barks at them. She is a nut.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These are so interesting everyone! Keep them coming! I also live near an airport, and in a relatively "rough" neighborhood - my pooch doesn't react to fireworks, neighborhood parties, airplanes, other barking dogs, thunder, yelling, etc - but every once in a while the sirens get him! only midday, when he's outside in the yard alone lol!

Since everyone else is commenting that firetruck sirens are the trigger, maybe that's it -- but he never howls if I am near

There was an explosion in my neighborhood recently, very close (cupboards in my house clanged open and shut), with lots of sirens. We sat outside for hours waiting on an evacuation notice, watching people, cops, firetrucks, smoke etc., and he didn't make a peep amidst any of the chaos!

·
Registered
32,209 Posts
Yeah! The trains and other sirens. I LOVE it. Sometimes I howl too, and they always stop. They think my howling sucks.

Reactions: SitkatheGSD

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
My past had howled. This was picked up by my airframe and jrt. The mtg never quite got right though. Lol. We always enjoyed it.
Love autocorrect . Should have read, my past dogs howled. Even my airdale and jrt. The jrt never quite got it right though. We always enjoyed it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Heehee, we must be WAY out in the boonies, as we haven't heard a single siren from our house in all the years we've lived here. Im thinking that our Sheba is grateful for this... as even the sounds that the garbage truck makes every Tuesday causes her to sit in the bathroom and stress out a little, anxiously waiting for it to go on its way!

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
I live within 10 miles as the bird flies to a nuclear power plant. They do quarterly siren tests. Three minute blast followed by a 2 minute pause repeated 2 more times. Ziva sings along every time.
She will howl with firetruck siren's if they are close. But not police or ambulance.
We also live in the flight path of an airport. The military also uses said airport for training. When they fly in low for touch and go training she actually looks up at the planes and barks at them. She is a nut.
We are right near a military training base as well. They ship trainees in for WTI every 3 months, and our house shakes with the jets and heli’s and “bombing” going on. The dogs don’t even flinch, and I’m sitting with my hands crammed against my ears as hard as I can because the sonic pressure makes me feel like my teeth and ears are going to pop right out. I don’t know how they handle it so well!

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
I had two elderly neighbors quarrel over one of my dogs howling. This was years ago in my first house when I had a malamute named Wile. I had a doggy door that led into a large kennel and without fail he’d head outside to howl at 11am every week day. The older lady really liked the howling and wanted it to continue, the older guy made a bit of a fuss about it. The two of them argued over it and she must have won as she let me know the howling can continue, lol!

·
Registered
458 Posts
I will never understand why/how it is that they're allowed to build things like nuclear power plants and military training bases so close to where people live. I doubt that it's helping with the resale value when it comes time to move. Can't believe I complained yesterday to the Missus that the loons were making a racket with their yodeling from our shore! But if I see a nuclear reactor going up within 300 miles of our house, we're outta here!

Glen

Reactions: Benjaminb

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
I will never understand why/how it is that they're allowed to build things like nuclear power plants and military training bases so close to where people live. I doubt that it's helping with the resale value when it comes time to move. Can't believe I complained yesterday to the Missus that the loons were making a racket with their yodeling from our shore! But if I see a nuclear reactor going up within 300 miles of our house, we're outta here!

Glen
The base came before the houses, and we are actually in a coveted neighborhood. It’s the first thing I asked when we were looking to buy. In this neighborhood, the longest listing was 45 days before it sold, in the last 10 yrs.

They don’t do any testing at the base. We have YPG, which is a huge deserted area about 45 to an hour drive, and that’s where the do the actually testing. The base near us is a Marine bass. They send every branch of the military to that base for weapons training. So the launch from near us, and land near us, but the real bombing is done out at YPG.

Had a sister who lived near a nuclear power plant on the outskirts of Phoenix. She would call constantly when they were testing, it always freaked her out. They sold when they built a huge stadium within I think 5 miles of their house. That’s what finally got them out, the constant noise and stadium lights and stadium traffic.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Glen
I was thinking the same thing! Maybe it's a Canadian/USA difference? I'm near planes, trains, and automobiles - but no military!

·
Registered
2,183 Posts

Glen
Power plant was there before our house. It is as the bird flies in distance. It's actually in another county across the James River from me. I can't see it, it doesn't bother me. I married a Navy nuke Machinist Mate, so there's that...lol! As for Military flights, etc. it just comes with the territory when one lives in heavy military area. The airport is civilian but the military uses it sometimes. I don't know why as there is an Air Force base a few miles away. The airport is also home to an aviation academy. Most of the touch and goes are training for that expensive blue and white plane that is emblazoned with "United States of America" along the fuselage. It spends half a day playing that game every couple months. I've just lived with all the commotion for so long I often don't even notice it anymore.
Home resale isn't an issue. One military family leaves another moves in. They gotta live close to the bases to support the mission. Military bases actually create and support entire economies.

Now leave an old analog ticking clock within 100 feet of me and I'll go insane. The dog could care less though :grin2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts