German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,009 Posts
he's young, but just looks like a (possibly patterned?) sable. in all actuality... aside from patterned sables or black sables which have a distinct look and origin - sable is sable and are pretty much just grouped together. both in genetics and registration. light, dark, grey, red, silver, gold.... are all descriptive and subjective, varying greatly between whoever is describing them.

that said, when you google "sable silver", he seems to have more tan compared to those dogs. if someone told/sold/called him a silver however, it'd be hard to say they were wrong since there's nothing official about the term.

·
Super Moderator
7,009 Posts
clarification: black sables and patterned sables are "just sable" as far as genes and registration too... what I meant is that they're more easily recognizable as far as descriptive terms and generally found in specific lines.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
grey sable

just to point out one thing in the second picture the plugged in
electrical cord poses a hazard . Dog could easily mouth it --

okay , another thing , that lead with the chain is useless for training
Thanks for the response. The cord is about 4 inches away from the actual back of the kennel so she can't reach it. It looks super close in the picture but it's not.

The chain leash is because she chews on the nylon ones.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sable is sable and are pretty much just grouped together. both in genetics and registration. light, dark, grey, red, silver, gold.... are all descriptive and subjective, varying greatly between whoever is describing them.

he seems to have more tan compared to those dogs.
Good to know! I agree she has quite a bit more tan than the silver sables I've seen pictures of.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
her colour will change and darken

"The chain leash is because she chews on the nylon ones."

then change the behaviour . You sure do not want a dog mouthing a chain link
lead and getting a canine caught in the link .
Had this experience as a student off for the summer and walking the neighbourhood
dogs . Tooth broke .
Those leads are useless .

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
I fostered a silver and it was really a faint grayish white. Much lighter than yours. We went through a bunch of leashes. I went to the bargain bin at Petco and bought half a dozen. He only ruined three before I stopped the chewing behavior.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
her colour will change and darken

"The chain leash is because she chews on the nylon ones."

then change the behaviour . You sure do not want a dog mouthing a chain link
lead and getting a canine caught in the link .
Had this experience as a student off for the summer and walking the neighbourhood
dogs . Tooth broke .
Those leads are useless .
She doesn't touch this one.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I fostered a silver and it was really a faint grayish white. Much lighter than yours. We went through a bunch of leashes. I went to the bargain bin at Petco and bought half a dozen. He only ruined three before I stopped the chewing behavior.
How did you stop it?

I have tried redirecting, clicker training, bitter spray. Now she really only bites it when I go to put it on her but once we get walking she is ok. After a couple of gnaws on the chain lead she stopped so I haven't switched back.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
I tethered to me until he was five months old, almost daily, most of the time when he wasn't crated or playing with the other dog and I was in the room. I never left him unsupervised unless he was crated. It was a lot of time and attention, more than most people have to'soend. He almost never chews a leash but then two weeks ago went through one of my tether leashes. I kept hearing sawing noises and thought my older dog was chewing a chair leg. When I finally figured out it wasn't her, I looked under my chair and saw he had stretched out the tether to full length and chewed it almost all the way through. The noise was the leash rubbing against the chair leg. He was 8 months old and should not have been chewing leashes anymore.

When I started using a prong collar, he stopped biting at the leash on walks. He was 5 1/2 months old and I had run through all my other options.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts