German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I had seen a post that I could add to, but can not find it now so I am starting a new one. Feel free to add on, it will be fun to see all the crazy things our dogs do.

I taught my old girl to swim because we worked with children and I did not want her panicing if she fell in the water with kids swimming.

Up until that time I had never had a GSD that liked water, after I taught her to swim she would go in before we went home every afternoon, summer or winter.

Now the new pup swims without being taught, in fact she is obsessed with water..... esp if it moves, hose, waterfalls, bathtubs. Ever try to take a bath or shower with 60 lbs of teeth and hair trying to bust down the door and attack the water? If she had her way she would drink it all down.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Mine didn't start out liking water, they would wade around the first year, that was about it. We thought if they saw our lab swimming they might give it a try, but they looked at her like she was nuts. Last summer, at 2 yrs old, Tuke took the plunge and Zoey soon followed. Now they like retrieving rocks from the river. They don't always bring back the one I toss though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My guy was a little apprehensive about water and baths... as is natural when they are young. But we kept reassuring him when he was a baby in the bath and now he will just stand in the shower with me while i bathe him.

As far as the pool, I started out with a lifejacket for him when I opened it and when we were in the backyard until he learned to go to the stairs to get out of the pool (I have an in-ground). Kanan was about 7 moths old when his first summer came around, and he had gotten comfortable enough that one day we were playing fetch in the pool. He got a little too excited on the edge of the shallow end and his hind legs slipped off the deck and he plunged into the water. He caught himself with his front paws and started to slowly sink into the water. My not panicking, and his feet hitting the bottom at only 3 feet to where he could stand didn't phase him in the least, he just looked at me standing there and turned around to swim to the stairs. Now this year being his second summer, he is fearless in the water.

I think it all comes down to how you expose them, and how much.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Duncan hates baths. A lot. But we went to a local dog park early this morning and he played in the doggy pool. Until he slipped in and almost drowned in 1 foot of water. Then he was a little shy of it.

Funniest thing he does at this point tho is when I give him the command sit he goes up into beg. Never taught him to beg. I have no idea where he got it from.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ours joins in the kid pool with my daughter! I can't wait to see what he does in deeper water this summer. I've never had a dog that enjoyed water.

Funniest thing about our dog - My little guy LOVES playgrounds. absolutely loves them. We take my daughter to the park a few times a week and let him play if there are no kids around. Today we went with a group of friends and one boy is shy around dogs so I sat with my pup on the sidelines while the kids played. He got SO SAD that he couldn't play lol!! He kept doing a little baby whimper here and there. Once the kids all left, I let him go down the slide a few times before heading home.

He also really loves to bury his bones. I find them all over the house, inside my daughter's toys, all over the yard. My boyfriend brought out the mower the other day and he frantically ran around the yard to collect his bones before we found them. He'll also peek to see if you are watching him bury it. If you are, he will go dig it back up and move it out of sight.

·
Registered
624 Posts
My girl loves chasing squirrels. I have to train her not to do it. Other dogs really like her - and I suspect they bark when she comes past their yards because they don't have the freedom she does!

·
Registered
16 Posts
My house as door handles (as opposed to knobs) on the doors. Didn't take Otis long at all to figure out he just needs to jump up on the handle to open the door. Even if it's locked he can get it open after a few tries.

I had a new girlfriend over and she went to use the restroom. Otis walked after her and I didn't think much of it because he will often lay down right at the door standing guard when someone is in the restroom. A few seconds later I hear the loudest scream. I run and he's standing there licking her face while she's sitting on the toilet. Haha Otis...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Obie (6 months) loves his kiddie pool we just got. The first day he spent three hours non stop going in circles backwards trying to dig out the water. The second day he learned to cannonball in it anytime someone was nearby.

He's also obsessed with soccer balls, basketballs, water polo balls, and volleyballs. Determined to fit things in his mouth that never will.

He also knows to bite and pull the sliding door handle to the backyard to check if it's locked. Not to come in or out, but just to have it open.

And last he has learned that pouncing on the foot pedal to the garbage can will pop the lid open so he can remove ALL of the contents, spread them out on the floor, and pick through what he wants to eat. And before anyone chastises me for letting my dog eat garbage, yeah I know it's bad, and don't allow it to happen. Everyone wants a smart dog until they actually have a smart dog. Love my Obie but in looking forward to when he grows up a little.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My girl hides bones too and watches them like a hawk. SHe will find a high vantage point when I am working outside and keep an eye on everything. If I get too close she will move them or if she thinks someone might get them again, she sits down and eats them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A few seconds later I hear the loudest scream. I run and he's standing there licking her face while she's sitting on the toilet. Haha Otis...
ROFLOL, did not think of that. My girl is like Velcro and she "guards" the bathroom door for me. Never thought about how she might react with guests... or how they might react to her helping in there.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today we spent 9 hrs building a waterfall in the front yard. It took Jazz 5 minutes to demolish it. First she dug out the water, or tried to. Then when that did not happen and the pump was still blowing water, abet very infrequently she climbed into the top pond and growled at it, which got her a face full of water... perfect timing and I was laughing so hard that I could not breath. So she upped her game and bit the pump hose and yanked it, pulling top pond, pump and landscaping down. Then she just sat in the middle of the mess and grinned.
Guess I did not want a waterfall there afterall... or maybe it was just an exercise in building Jazzy another dog activity. At least we all got a good laugh.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts