German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
Fraserglens Ellie of Carmspack 16/12/2021
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ellie and the back door..

So here’s the deal.. Ellie has developed this sort of infatuation with back door, she gets very amped up to go out back.. I go outside fairly often for “fresh air”, so she’s developed this thing where she revs up to go outside. She’s started guessing my behaviour that leads up to going outside and she flies to the door.. over couches and all, ditto for if my hand touches the handle.. she’ll jump at the door, whine until it’s open, and when she gets out she tears earth running around to the side gate, its not always to bark.. she doesn’t run out to just start barking, she’ll then run the side yard snd come back.. I assume this is a self rewarding behaviour for her.. none the less, this isn’t major.. I just don’t like it, especially the guessing behaviour.. this also isn’t a oh hey the doors gonna open I’m gonna go there, like every other dog I’ve had it’s “ellietense”.

Heres what I’ve tried, back up… she backs up.. then bolts outside, down stay.. open door, she stays.. thinks it’s a game revs up until I release her, food scatter.. gets the food, then takes off. Recall before she bolts, reward then she takes off.. in contrast my GR who was like this for squirrels, any of these techniques will cause him to linger around long enough to break the train of thought for whatever might be in the yard..

Am I just fighting her genetics, age.. is this just her personality.. I can live with it. I’d just prefer to be able to grab my back door handle without Ellie going full throttle.

thoughts, tips suggestions?

· Registered
1,129 Posts
We sometimes have visitors who go outside for fresh air - I tell them to use the front door (dogs aren’t allowed out the front door unless on a leash) instead of going out back (if the back door is opening, the dogs are expecting to go out it every time).
Maybe you need to start using a different door that isn’t as “popular” with Ellie?
Of course, keeping going with the obedience too, touching the handle and walking away, opening the door and closing it and walking away, calm energy, etc. sit and stay before going through the door

· Registered
8,091 Posts
Dogs will try to train you to take them out at their will, she's got you half trained.
My dogs go out on a semi schedule. 8:00, 12:00, 2:00-3, 5:00-6, 11:00 and they will come to me regularly around 2 and 5 and make it pretty clear they think it's time to go out. I tell them no even if it's just for a few minutes; I dictate the schedule. If I even move or stand up around their walk times, they head for the door to push the expectation. The same with dinner, they make it known that right after the late afternoon walk it's time to eat but if we walked early at 5, I tell them no, they have to wait and they know exactly what that means. It doesn't mean they won't test you again lol

Go out without her randomly, reset the expectation. Don't allow the dog to set the schedule or you'll always be on their schedule. Not to say I haven't ever given in when it's a nice day to get some air with them.:)

Once we're out, one the middle three walks/hikes (non-meals after) Rogan always nudges his fetch balls or flirt pole. Sometimes I give in becuase it's fun for both of us, sometimes I don't

· Registered
1,388 Posts
You could use a touch pad or a place near the door. My dogs anticipate going out they would crowd the door Zephyr with the most exuberance lol. I have a place near the back door they go to place and will hold place unless released. I do the same coming in (straight to place) mostly because it's muddy most if the year.

· Registered
10,143 Posts
Go to the door, touch the handle, walk away. Do it a thousand times. Same way I stop leash crazies. When you do take her outside so in control. On leash. Heel, down, stay. etc. Vary the routine do she gets its, the door is not a cue for a free for all.
Incidentally, Shadow knows what "smoke break" means and will immediately go wait at the door.

· Registered
6,250 Posts
Trust me, this is an issue you want to work on ASAP! It's less about charging out to the side yard than it is about self control and capping in general - it will bleed into other areas of obedience!

My dog started doing this to chase squirrels in the backyard, which we had in abundance to be fair. She'd barge out the door, sprint to the back fence and run along it jumping up to see if there were any squirrels to chase. So a pretty similar behavior...

Took considerable time to change that. Impulse control stuff, like waiting to go out any door until released, going out but staying on the deck - away from the fence. Opening the door and not going out, or going out without her. And it took lots and lots of repitition.

But the last thing you want in a fully grown dog is charging the door when it's opened. My advice would be to devote considerable energy now...you'll be glad you did!

· Super Moderator
9,968 Posts
I think most of us figure out a routine that works for each of our situations. All three of mine would love to accompany me every time I go outside. My routine is just saying Wait Here and going out alone. If one or more is dancing around excitedly I stand up straight, look each of them in the eye,step forward. They all take a step back and I repeat Wait Here. We did practice indoors first,and then at the outside door leashed.Misty did get her head smacked between my leg and the door frame one time.🤫

• Haha
Reactions: Carter Smith

· Administrator
10,240 Posts
Put her on leash, walk out together, not far (like literally just outside the door), after you’ve gotten your fresh air, go back inside. Going out becomes boring. Or, while going out may still be interesting - there’s no racing around adrenaline pumping self reinforcing excitement. If she becomes calmer with this routine, let her off after you’re already out there for a bit…. progress to exiting off leash but still just sitting on the steps awhile.

Keystone used to enthusiastically go out with me to empty the trash, do laundry or check the mail because he thought there may be more…. then he’d go out and linger a bit to see what i was doing first, then he stopped trying to go altogether, paying close attention to what was in my hands and i could see him weighing his options. Granted, he’s almost 10 and 12.5% cattle dog so there’s lots of attitude there, lol.

· Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone for the responses, i am impressed by the quality and experience of responses 😊.. it seems many have dealt with similar situations and I agree it is a behaviour that will likely bleed into other aspects especially with a growing pushy dog like Ellie, I'm gonna approach it as more of a trainable issue than dad voice annoyance, I’m gonna work on desensitizing the handle and my presence at the back door, and to my surprise I tried heeling her outside after this post and she did surprisingly well over the door frame steps etc and didn’t break to bolt, but also just going outside, staying on deck and back in after short intervals, not being able to do the self reinforcement victory lap.

thanks again everyone

· Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis, Reacher Auf Der Marquis
1,985 Posts
They are great at learning patterns. Even if they are sound a sleep, I don't move or make a sound, when I turn off the TV late at night they are up and headed to the door for our last walk of the day.

If at anytime I put on a hat they head to the door.

· Administrator
10,240 Posts
it’s pretty cute… “come with me?” is my cue for Keys to accompany me if it’s just to the trash/mail/laundry…. most of the time he just gives me a look like “nah, i’m already comfortable” sometimes it’s “i guess, if you really want me to” as he gets up and does a long stretch - other times those ears are perked and he’s at the door by the time the “cuh” sound leaves my mouth.

love him love him!

· Registered
8,091 Posts
I think I'm out so many times a day with the dogs (4-5) that they always think this might be one of those times. But it's also so semi-scheduled to the time that they look to see if this is one of those other times like popping to the grocery store or post office. Teaching them "not this time" was pretty simple and they settle back down.

· Registered
13,829 Posts
Getting up from a chair equals going out for them. It's fine to have them guess. When they try to charge in front of me I block them and stand firm in front of them. Then I get the oops-look and things calm down. They don't seem to remember this routine easily. Both are great dogs and actually I wouldn't have it any other way.

· Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They are definitely master human readers. Me getting up after my coffee and stretching in the morning cues group stretch before we go out.

· Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My dogs have a great sense of when there’s a chance they’re going out and when there isn’t. When I get ready for work or to go out somewhere, they nope around and wait to be put up. When I’m getting ready to take them out they bounce around with joy.
💯. Mope mode when we get ready to go out.

· Premium Member
8,104 Posts
Carter - all I have to do is QUIETLY!!!!!!!! close my laptop and 3 dogs jump up ready to go anywhere or eat or do anything they think might happen when I get up off the couch!!!!!!!!!!! She knows SOMETHING good is coming when you touch that door handle....Stand there and hold it and walk away often....only thing I can think may break the pattern.

Lee

1 - 20 of 32 Posts