German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the signs of a UTI? Took the dog out this morning and she did her business. Two hours later she is at the door whining to go out again. She never does that. I took her out for a quick potty break and she peed again. The urine looked darker then normal to me. Should I be concerned? No other signs of distress. She is her same old jolly self.

·
Registered
604 Posts
One of my Poms has UTIs sometimes. She has accidents in the house when she gets one, because she cant hold it. Her urine was lighter in color though, almost looked like water. But it smelled bad. She was acting sick as well.

If your dog continues this behavior, I would just call my vet before taking her in. One time of wanting to potty more, I don't know that I would be concerned yet.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Kiya would squat several times to pee in the same potty trip when she had one.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Darker than normal urine can also indicate the presence of blood in the urine..which can occur with UTI's. I would watch her..and if she continues to pee frequently...or attempt to pee frequently (as usually with a UTI...they feel the urge to pee even when they can't/don't have to)...I would call the vet.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Same signs as a person. Frequent need to pee with little produced, blood in the urine, a sudden break in housetraining (I guess that could be for ppl too). If in doubt, grab a urine sample and run it into the vet. They should be able to do a dip test on it and give you an answer immediately.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all! Just went out to shovel snow. She always comes to "help". Didn't try to pee again so I think its ok. I'll keep an eye on her. If she has one, is a trip to the vet the best option, or any home remedies anyone can recommend? I think I saw a thread on Vitamin C for a UTI, but don'e exactly remember.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
No home remedies that I know of because I don't know if you can give mannamax to a dog. You probably don't even have to take her in. Just call you vet and tell them what it going on with her and ask if you can bring in a urine sample.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Gracie had a UTI last year...and I know this is gross, but it smells the same way a human UTI smells...urine wise. Also, lots of false squating with no urine coming out, because it feels like you constantly have to pee.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts