German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we took Jasmine to the vet today to get x-rays done on her right hind leg because she has been having problems with it lately. the x-rays showed that her right hip sticks out further than her left. in adition she is very cow-hocked in the back. the vet says that this is putting strain in her when she walks and could be early signs of what might be hip displasia. i was wondering what should i do. i was thinking of sending her x-rays off to OFA and see what they rate her like my hip guarentee says to and see what they say, and then send new x-rays off at 2 yrs. im not really worried about the hip guarentee because my options are to either get 1/2 my money back ( a wopping $125) or driving back down to the breeder and giving her back and getting a new pup. which what would a breeder do with a spayed female with hip displasia besides put her down and i love her way to much to give her up and a new pup wouldn't be the same
im more concerned on options for her. im going to start with some probiotics, vitimins, and supplements to maybe help her and pray that hopefully she will grow out of this and turn out fine. but if she does end up having hip problems what are my options? ive heard of surgery but what other things can be done. and what is the success rate of all the options. i dont want to put her down if it comes to that, but i want her to be as comfortable as possible. anyone have hip displasia and if so, what did you do. i know i may be jumping the gun but i want to be prepared. the x rays were not a good sign and i might be over reacting but i want to be as knowledgeable as possible.
anything is appriciated

·
Registered
32,042 Posts
How old is she? I would start her on supplements, as a precaution and find a good chiropractor for her.

·
Registered
32,042 Posts
Well, first she is still growing so all that could change. Second, how did the hips look? Did you by any chance get electronic copies that you could post for the breeders who know what to look for? Third, if she wasn't positioned correctly it would make her hips look off when there might not even be a problem.

I would, first, get an electronic copy of the xrays if possible for the breeders here to look at the positioning and look at her sockets. Second, look for a good chiropractor and also take a copy of hte xrays to him.

·
Registered
32,042 Posts
oh...and supplements! Vitamin C!!!! Not ester C which has calcium but regular Vit C. Fish oil (for arthritis), Vit e because you are feeding fish oil. Then look for a good joint supplement. I like the springtimeinc joint supplements.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just called the vet and they cannot do copies of the xrays because they dont have access to computers. but i hope i can describe what i saw the best i can. the x ray was of both hips and her stomach sort of an aireal view. her left hip was in line with everything. her right hip stuck out and wasn't fully in line with everything. you could tell right away something wasn't too right because i could tell, and i am no doctor. it looked as though it was in larged the way it stuckout even though it was the same size. the only way i can explain it is that it wasn't fully in the right place as her left hip was.

·
Registered
32,042 Posts
look on the Leerburg site. There is an example of how the positioning should be done.

You could go to the vet and have them put it up on the light. Take a picture with a camera and post that. You just need a jpeg of post here. That's what I did.

·
Registered
32,042 Posts
Stem Cell therapy is going to make great advancements in the next few years. I just read an article where they cut the joint out of a rabbit, injected it with stem cells and the joint grew back.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Be sure to get buffered C and ease your pup onto it gradually.

I would also add fish oil capsules, vitamin E (to properly absorb the fish oil) and a good joint supplement. I like the Springtime Inc. supplements, others like Nupro and still others like Cosequin...

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Before you jump into anything.

1. Make sure you have the correct x-ray for OFA, with all the required information and the correct view. Straight and with correct positioning on the knees.
2. Check to see if you can get them done at an ortho vet or one that has experience in taking xrays for hip submission.

I like the idea of the chiropractor. If she has been playing with an older, bigger dog or just got torque somehow, that needs to be corrected.

Ester C and Omega 3s/vit E are good to be doing no matter what.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
here are pics i took of her x rays. they arent great, but it was all i could do.
i probably am jumping to conclusions but i want to prepare for the worst and expect the best. thank you for the vitamin suggestions. i will be getting her on fish oil and vitamin c and the vet suggested glucoseamin as well. im hoping she will just grow out of this, but we wont know until later. so for now we will continue to watch and make sure she doesn't play too rough or run too fast until she is finished growing. and getting all of her vitamins and a nice diet.

·
Registered
32,042 Posts
Just a thought...start a new thread under health titled "Hip Xrays - Opinions" That should get the attention of the breeders here that know what to look for.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Did you go to an ortho-vet if not I would ask for the xray and ask for the opinion of an ortho vet and they should be able to give you advice from there or re-do the x-ray

·
Registered
32,042 Posts
Ester C and Omega 3s/vit E are good to be doing no matter what.
My understanding on the Ester C, while Ester C is more readily absorbed by the body and is easier on the stomach, is that you DON"T want to give it to a growing dog because Ester C contains calcium and extra calcium in a growing dog is to be avoided.

·
2,967 Posts
we took Jasmine to the vet today to get x-rays done on her right hind leg because she has been having problems with it lately.
What kind of problems has she been having with her right back leg?? There are so many things that can cause our dogs problems. From muscle pulls, strains, bruises, Pano. I mean think about it...If your shoulder suddenly starts hurting you...Do you immediately assume that there must be something wrong with the joint formation of your shoulder? Probably not.

Unfortunately GSDs have that reputation for HD, and many vets will jump right to that as their diagnosis ordering Xrays and expensive surgeries that may or may not be necessary. I think sometimes from ignorance and sometimes from greed.

I saw the Xrays and while they don't look great (hard to tell) they also are by no means the worst I have seen, and even the worst I have seen we not symptomatic in a puppy. So please keep in mind that even though she may not have great hips, and she is having trouble with a back leg the two are not necessarily tied together.

I guess for me I always start with the least course of action first. Crate rest and leash walks and maybe some anti-inflammatories and see if that solves the problem.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
what is happening is sometimes if she lays on her leg wrong or slips and falls she will yelp and start crying and hold up her leg. this has happend atleast 10-15 times over the past 3 or4 months so we decided to get her checked out. he checked her leg felt it, and then watched her walk around outside. he mentioned x rays because he couldnt feel anything. on a follow up appointment (she was having a skin problem which is fixed) we got the x rays done. she has been on leash walks and we don't go to the dog park anymore i try to keep her as contained as possible and i only play fetch with her in a small area so she doesn't run. she lays around the house all day normally and gets a bit active at night.

·
Registered
330 Posts
since you are in Ocala the best people in the biz are in Gainsville at the vet school. My dog is taken care of by them even though it is a 3 hour drive. I met with 2 orthopods there about his issues. Also I think their prices are more reasonable.
Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts