German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Dutch outside for 15 minutes, he just wanted to play and dig and chew on stuff.... no pee.

I take him back inside and he immediately pees on the rug. So frustrating :(

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Ozzy used to do that all the time. I wanted to rip is little wee wee off. LOL So irritating!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
If you take him out and he doesn't potty then back in crate....wait a few minutes and try again....when he finally goes OUTSIDE praise praise praise!!!!!!!! Then he can have freedom (tethered to you) for a bit then outside again.....over and over and over.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you take him out and he doesn't potty then back in crate....wait a few minutes and try again....when he finally goes OUTSIDE praise praise praise!!!!!!!! Then he can have freedom (tethered to you) for a bit then outside again.....over and over and over.
He goes outside all the time.... but sometimes he just has to be a little punk and pee on the rug :(

But this is when he's in the living room with me. I'm watching TV and working on a paper. He isn't in the crate right now. He's fine during the night when we take him out to pee.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
maybe Dutch doesn't have the
routine down yet. take him out. bring him in
and watch him closely. then take him out again.
look for signs that he has to go again. you're
in the room with him when he goes so you're not watching him.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
What makes you think he's not being watched? Every now and then, when I'm downstairs, Ozzy will be playing with the dogs, then just stop and pee. No forewarning to it at all, other than he stops. I get up and take him outside mid-stream, but to say she's not watching him probably isn't accurate.

Plus, sometimes people let the dog run around while they're doing something else. I know I watch TV sometimes when Ozzy's running around. What do you do, stare at and observe your dog during every waking moment until they're in a crate?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
When they are babies and potty training YES....I did. And he was tethered to me. BUT Jake only got to roam around with me AFTER he went potty. I set an alarm so I knew to take him out again. Jake had only ONE accident inside...YES I watched him like a hawk or he was crated.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Konotashi - I am picturing you staring at Ozzy to make sure he doesn't pee....LOL

PDX...it gets better, Stryder used to stop and then start peeing and then we would try to get him outside and he would pee the whole way there...he caught on

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To say that I'm not watching him in inaccurate. I watched him AS he peed on the rug. The whole reason why I took him out in the first place was because he was sniffing around and getting really bitey, but when he was outside he had zero interest in peeing. Thanks for the vote of confidence though ;)

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
As much as you want them with you, the crate thing really works.... It only take a few trips going outside with no pee and then strait into the crate for these smart little pups to learn that they get to stay out with you if they go when you bring them outside. When ever you start to feel overwhelmed just keep in mind that this is just 2 short months (if that) out of a 12-15 year love affair!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As much as you want them with you, the crate thing really works.... It only take a few trips going outside with no pee and then strait into the crate for these smart little pups to learn that they get to stay out with you if they go when you bring them outside. When ever you start to feel overwhelmed just keep in mind that this is just 2 short months (if that) out of a 12-15 year love affair!
Okay, that makes sense. Yeah, I know it's a small price to pay, but it's just frustrating when you spend a lot of time outside only to have them pee inside.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I didn't let any of my pups play outside until they went. I picked up all toys, sticks, and blocked all attempts to grab rocks, dig, jump on me, or get any attention from me other than the words "go potty". Redirect his play, block it, leash him to get more control if you need it, and then when he pees give him access to everything you blocked as a reward. All puppies have accidents, but really with a LBD this stage is thankfully short:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts