German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Banjo gone I am GSD-less. I still have Peppy, who is a riot, but she's not the big, clownish oaf that Banjo was. I regularly cruise the region's rescue organizations and CraigsList for Germans. The little girl that someone said I could rehome is no longer an option, the couple is back together. Prolly for the best as Peppy is a mite bit snarly about sharing me right now, a female might have been an ugly scene.

Still, not having a GSD around is wrong...odd....unsettling. I have the resources to go get one tomorrow if I would just do it, but something is holding me back. Innate instinct to wait? Subconscious needling me about the grief? I dunno, what my waking mind does know and makes ever so clear is that there is a definite lack of German in the house right now.

Peppy is doing great, bonding tighter everyday. Her commands are taut and she's having fun "working". I was using her spazzy post Banjo behavior to justify a new mutt, and I knew I was lying to myself. She'd adapt to a new dog in a hurry, I know this, her confidence is scary high. She's not spooked by anything and regards most situations as a new game anyway. Tho, I think her having me all to herself is good for her. She is devoted and watchful, more so than Banjo in the "makin sure the two legs is safe" category anyway.

The food bill is WAAAAY better. She eats like a bird, Banjo ate like a platoon. I'm kinda wondering where all that food went, he was never fat and always hungry. Peppy plumps up in the blink of an eye, Banjo always had a waist and yet ate 3 times the calories Peppy does.

If someone were to show up on my porch and hand me a leash with a GSD attached I'd be thrilled. I'm just not driven to make myself go get one at this juncture. Banjo was a very special part of me, I guess my inaccessible bits of brain/personality are holding me back right now. I don't like it, but going against the grain of my nature never turns out well. *sigh*

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I'm not sure what your thinking, but when you are ready you'll know it, when the time comes, happy hunting!

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Good luck with your search brembo. I'm going through the same kind of thing----I need a better living arrangement before I get puppies though(I'll be getting two, a Weim and a GSD).

Poor puppies-----the ones who have gone before them have left some very big footprints for them to fill.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
You will know when the right one comes along. It's just a feeling when we know it's right. Wait and you will know when the time comes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts