German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My turn for a bit of a neighbor rant....

I really try to be patient and treat people respectfully. Some days though my patience gets stretched too thin.

My neighbor and his wife, they're good people. They rescued two dogs and while the dogs are outside all the time and don't get trained they are fed, sheltered and treated with kindness. They adopted a really homely looking terrier mix with a bulldog type undershot jaw that no one else wanted. She's yappy but sweet.

I saw her running loose across the street around lunch time, this is not a normal occurance. My neighbor was home but I could not see him around and figured he was in the house.

I put on my shoes, called her to me and was going to put her back in her fenced yard. I checked I saw the gate open but no one was around. She came to me, wanted some lovin' which I obliged (she really is a sweetie) and then I started coaxing her back to their backyard gate.

Then I see my neighbor coming through his backyard gate. I smile and say "Look who I found". He grumbles at me in his somewhat typical 'Larry the Cable Guy' way, she would have come back eventually, she wasn't going that far, instead of saying something like "oh I was right behind her or she just got out, or just thanks". I responded O.K. I just thought I should bring her back in case. I meant well and I was just being neighborly. He states "She would come back when she got hungry". :confused:

I asked him if he really needed to be 'that sarcastic' and wouldn't a simple 'Thank you' suffice and of course I get the "you're taking it too seriously".

No dang it, No maybe expecting a "thank you" mixed in there somewhere with all his down homey sarcasm isn't such a sin.

*sigh* I guess I was raised wrong as it seems the new rude is to be polite anymore and rude is the new polite....sheesh. :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Polite doesnt even appear to be an option anymore. Also Larry there should know that dogs dont look both ways prior to crossing a street which could make that little girl dead. Thank you for helping that lil girl stay safe.Larry does not sound real astute.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Not the response you were expecting, yes a simple thank you would have been nice!

I had a similar experience when we had our previous dog, Mandy. We were on an early a.m. walk and leaving the park, when I noticed a small dog walking in the middle of the street. I was able to grab it, it was a senior dog and seemed frail. The tag had an address nearby, I took the leash off of my dog, hooked up the senior dog and we walked it home to a senior mobile home park. The owner never said thank you, she seemed to be bothered by my presence, just grumbled, and said something about the dog was almost blind. I wanted to take it back!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

Yeah, he's not a totally bad guy but he is one of those types who thinks he is very astute but is not.

He was giving his boxer some de-wormer he would buy from Walmart and telling his wife (who is a nurse) that would take care of heart worms. She had her doubts and noticed early signs in the boxer starting to have respiratory/heart issues.

So she asked me, can the dewormer at walmart take care of heartworms, my husband keeps saying it does. I told her absolutely not, take him to the vet.

Sure enough he had heart worms and they had to do the imiticide treatment, it was touch and go if the dog would pull through. He did so it worked out and to their credit once they realized the error of their ways they did right by their dogs.

The thing is it happened because he thought he knew better then everyone else.

Goober got under my skin today tho... :crazy:

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
A simple thank you would have been the polite response. It's too true that people often aren't as polite as they could be :(

I'm sorry you got that response when you were just trying to help out. I hope you don't take it too personally. Sounds like he had a twinge of guilt, at least, and reacted defensively (offensively, as well). That's no excuse, but that's my reading...and I'm surrounded by Larry the Cable Guys where I live, so I have a little insight into the unnecessary attitude they project ;)

At least your Larry isn't threatening to shoot your dogs if they get on his property while his own run loose! I walked outside the morning after Jack's most recent run-in to find their visiting grandson's senior lab taking a poo, YES taking a poo, on my front lawn. I did what you did, and just walked the dog back across the street... and I did it all unarmed, lol.

What can we do, except respect and protect the dogs, and let the grumpy butts be grumpy butts? You did the right thing taking that girl home. That's a good thing to focus on :)

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In blue, I think you got a point there.

He's a goober that guy, not bad, just a goober and today it got under my skin, in a no good deed goes unpunished sort of way.

My dog got loose once, escape artist Smitty. Another neighbor knocked on my door to let me know he was out and I couldn't thank the guy enough...but that's just me. *sigh*

A simple thank you would have been the polite response. It's too true that people often aren't as polite as they could be :(

I'm sorry you got that response when you were just trying to help out. I hope you don't take it too personally. Sounds like he had a twinge of guilt, at least, and reacted defensively (offensively, as well). That's no excuse, but that's my reading...and I'm surrounded by Larry the Cable Guys where I live, so I have a little insight into the unnecessary attitude they project ;)

At least your Larry isn't threatening to shoot your dogs if they get on his property while his own run loose! I walked outside the morning after Jack's most recent run-in to find their visiting grandson's senior lab taking a poo, YES taking a poo, on my front lawn. I did what you did, and just walked the dog back across the street... and I did it all unarmed, lol.

What can we do, except respect and protect the dogs, and let the grumpy butts be grumpy butts? You did the right thing taking that girl home. That's a good thing to focus on :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts