German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our little boy is a total vacuum cleaner, so hard to take him outside without everything ending up in his mouth.

My husband called while I was at work stating that he took the pup out and he just charged for a little stick, maybe 1-2 inches and just swallowed it! he knows we will take it away so now he tries to swallow things as fast as he can!!!

My husband panicked and took him to the vet, nothing was on the x-ray and they could not tell if it left his stomach as it was full of food (and I am sure grass and dirt). Follow up x-ray is tomorrow and we are hoping the tiny stick will pass... Just so upset that we had such a rough start from day one =/

Geardia, missing toe, swallowed stick... I so wish I purchased petplan before i even brought him home because it does not kick in until this next Monday. (14 day waiting period???)

We are trying to block off a spot outside where there is nothing, but grass and dirt so hopefully this is the last trip to the vet for a few weeks... :(

It will be a fun night having a hungry puppy in the house...

·
Registered
482 Posts
Mine chewed everything in the yard...

...but didn't swallow much at all. Chew and spit after he was bored with it.

Once he chewed up a small plant that had thorns and a section of the plant about 3 inches long embedded by two its thorns in his pallet. We didn't notice the stick until about two days of poor eating took place.

It was stuck up in the roof of his mouth like it was embedded with treble hooks. It was a bear to pull out.

But afterwards the dog was back to normal. I'm grateful as all get out he didn't swallow that thing.

LF

·
Registered
469 Posts
Oh wow, what a day! He'll probably be fine; dogs have pretty strong stomachs. I would start working on a "leave it" asap though, I always try to teach my puppies this and reinforce it into adulthood. Very helpful when there's something disgusting or even possibly dangerous on the ground that the dog might otherwise gobble up! My Yorkie does leave it so well that she'll leave a chicken bone she found outside alone if we tell her to leave it.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh wow, what a day! He'll probably be fine; dogs have pretty strong stomachs. I would start working on a "leave it" asap though, I always try to teach my puppies this and reinforce it into adulthood. Very helpful when there's something disgusting or even possibly dangerous on the ground that the dog might otherwise gobble up! My Yorkie does leave it so well that she'll leave a chicken bone she found outside alone if we tell her to leave it.
I guess i need to look it up on how to train this, =/ I am sure he knows it by now, but protests!

·
Registered
469 Posts
It's pretty easy to teach actually. Start out with a bit of food in your fist and put it in front of the puppy. Make sure he knows the food is there (try soemthing yummy like chicken). Also have another high value treat hidden in a treat pouch or on a nearby counter. He'll probably lick and nibble at your fist, trying to get to the food. Wait until he takes his nose away from his hand. The second this happens, click and give him a bit of the other, hidden treat. Repeat this (should only take a few times) until he starts to not put his nose to your closed fist at all.

Now you can start adding the command. Put your food-filled fist in front of him, and tell him to leave it. As soon as he does, click and treat. If he doesn't do it immediately, just calmly wait until he does. Repeat a few times until he's doing it pretty consisitently.

Once he is doing this fairly consistently, start opening your hand. If he tries to grab the food, calmly but quickly close your hand and pull it up and away from him. Do this swiftly and calmly so as not to excite him (as puppies are already super excitable!). After a couple seconds (if he jumps up on you, wait until he stops), put your hand back and again try opening it. Repeat this until he is not immediately grabbing for the food, and then start adding the command leave it (or whatever word/phrase you choose to use). Never allow him to recieve the object/food you were telling him to "leave it".

Now you can start practicing this by putting the food on the floor, on small tables, different surfaces, different environments, and different things to "leave it" (don't always use food once he knows the command!).

If this was confusing or you still can't figure something out, there are also many videos on YouTube to help you. I'm actually thinking about starting to make a puppy/dog training series.

If he's under 6 months old, remember that he is still a puppy so do not reprimand him if he doesn't perform the command. Also, make sure you can always enforce the command, for example, don't tell him to leave that skunk 50 feet away when he's off leash. And lastly, made training sessions short and fun for puppies. Keep them at 5 to 10 minutes long each and give lots of praise (but don't excite him during the session!). End each session on a good note and play with him afterward. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
my girl learned to leave food left on the floor in just a few tries and is good at that, Its the only way she stays so im saying stay while she does it now. But when she vacuums poop then its like the op, if I try and get it out she wolfs it down and most of the time leave it doesnt work. Today we were walking around a lake and she found a dead bird! I said leave it and then she started crunching it to wolf it down, I had to scruff her to get it out.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Draven was like that too ... but with Rocks... he ate them CONSTANTLY to the point of a walk was a horrible experience digging rocks from his mouth.

But patience and consistancy with using the "Spit it out" command (I don't know how to spell it) and now he pretty much spits anything out I ask him too ... very funny to see him try and spit out cat hair that he got before I vacuumed it...

It will get better till then no alone time when he's outside! (I know easier said than done)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sigh we will start working on this right away. =/

So far 3 bathroom trips since 4 pm yesterday and no stick, but I am reading that it can be 24-72 hours. Food would of helped, but the vet wanted to take a clean x-ray...

Lets hope it's out of the stomach, if it is.. we are good.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He passed a stick right at the vets office.... so we are good.
But they did find 3 tiny stones and just want us to watch to make sure they all pass as well.

I am so getting the fake grass carpeting and making an area outside for him.... until we train him.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Oh Neko! What an ordeal. Glad the stick has passed. Ouch! On the few occasions where they've had trouble passing something (I feed raw so this can happen with a partially digested bone that causes blockage), I give them a few scoops of canned pumpkin and it helps move everything through their system.

My puppy has eaten a lot of stuff, including cigarette butts off the sidewalk, but luckily, nothing has stuck yet. I quote our trainer every time our little Agent Cooper eats something he shouldn't, "our dogs explore the world with their mouths" - it's such a lovely way of explaining why the puppy just ate cat litter.

Leave it is awesome and easy. My muttpuppy learned it so fast and within 20 minutes I had a treat sitting on his paw that he was ignoring. "Leave it" did not work, however, when my GSD picked up a frozen, dead squirrel on a recent walk.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha Valerae, good story!

No one said first time parenting would be easy, so we are learning as we go. I am already way over protective and now I have to watch him like a hawk!

Our home is so totally proofed that he is safe to be out of his ex-pan (when we are home). But outside is very hard to control.

We are renting so we don't want to invest in this property, but there are tall trees, blocking light and the grass is terrible with dirt showing, leaves everywhere, sticks, bark, pine-cones and needles... I can go on and on and on.

We are going to look at home depot this weekend for something to block of a small portion outside the screen and just rake all the rocks out of it and make it as safe as we can.

Training for "leave it" starts today!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Neko, have you used a clicker before? Makes a lot of training so easy. I've used two trainers for my dogs - one who uses the clicker and one who doesn't. I find the clicker works best when trying to teach new behaviors (like leave it) rather than changing/redirecting existing behaviors (like biting).

Our yard is a mess. We call it the mud pit. Most of the grass has been totally destroyed and there are holes to China everywhere. I'm going to have a landscaping company come and dump some dirt so I can level it out, put down seed and cover it with straw. Not sure that's going to even help.

When we rescued our second dog last year he didn't seem interested in too much in the yard except for fetch and zoomies. Our GSD taught him to dig and now I have two pros.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haha! I am so sorry about your yard, but you are awesome at sharing the stories. Made me giggle on a rough day.

I actually have a clicker... I will put it to use right away, we trained him over 10 commands already without it and without really trying, he leans so fast, but he is very determined and stubborn when he wants something and has the strongest grip i have ever seen in a dog... i guess that's why his parents are 3xIPO3...

we have to put his energy to good use =)

i also found a good trainer and we start next week after second shots.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The stick passed ok, but because the vet saw 3 small rocks closely together and what looked like a swollen/enlarged intestine, he wants another follow up =/

The puppy ate 3 large meals, no vomiting no discomfort. I called to see if we should cancel, but the staff kinda guilt me to come in to make sure he is ok and have peace of mind that there is not something wrong with the intestine... Sigh this has been an expensive week, wish i purchased the insurance before bringing the pup home so the 14 day waiting period would of been already lifted. I just hope this is the last trip for a while. We will be more careful outside...

I started training "leave it" and he is very smart........... He leaves the treat in my hand just fine. in 10 minutes i was able to set it on the floor and have him "leave it". well guess what happens? He thinks he can have the best of both worlds. He will leave the treat alone, wait for the clicker and his treat, and lightning fast go after the other treat and swallow it! so i stop training and try again in few minutes, same thing... he knows the command, just chooses to try for "both".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts